Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Eclipse

There's gonna be an eclipse? If so I can't miss it. I already missed the previous one because I was sleeping, while everyone else was wide awake.

Ehhh I'll be in the Mid-Atlantic region so yeah I guess. I don't have glasses though. Poop.

Didn't see anything in Moscow a few days ago. Guess that's why it's called eclipse. :(

edit: oh, this topic is not about the moon one

I wanted to go to a point where I could see it in total but that isn't happening sadly. I'll be stuck at home when it happens without any eyeball protection so I can't see it.

I'd figure my dad might try to photograph it but I dunno if he has the right hardware. Its pretty likely I will not be able to see it myself.

I heard I'd get a better view a little further south but considering I'll be at work, I'll be checking it out from where I'm at :)

27 minutes ago, Red said:

What gods do I need to pray to so it signals the end times

tumblr_olsro88p3c1v48w4qo1_500.gif

You can try mine, but they may or may not answer.

Anyway, the maximum coverage thingie is supposed to happen around 11:20am where I'm at, which means I probably won't be awake enough to appreciate it (if I even am awake at that time).  But I'm going to try!

It won't be total where I am, but it will be roughly 90%, so I'll take that.

90% where I'm at. Considering driving an hour or so south for some Band Of Totality™ action, but I also don't feel like contending for traffic space. I think I'll probably settle for the A- and stay home.

87% at my location.

I will be checking it out.  I'll be at work when it starts, so I just go do an outdoor patrol during the eclipse.

Screenshot_2017-08-19-21-04-52.png

Edited by Tracer

Last time I was in the same area as a solar eclipse, my junior high had a big event for it since it was during school hours. There were like 300 students but they were 15 glasses short to watch the solar eclipse. So rather than letting 15 students share glasses the school decided not to risk it. So 15 students were kept inside in a windowless room for the 15 minutes or however long it was.

I'm driving from southern California to Oregon to see it. I made motel reservations as close as I could get to the path of totality literally a year beforehand.

1 hour ago, Voros said:

Fuck it. Maybe next year's will be visible here.

11 minutes ago, Angry_Cat said:

I almost forgot about the eclipse, i need to see it sometime soon.

I'm not sure you really understand how a solar eclipse works???

Wow ling, that's pretty awesome. I'm a bit curious how the hotel/motel staff reacted to you booking that a year in advance. Oregon in August doesn't seem a typical tourist destination in quite so high a demand, though of course I can understand why you would have been proactive on the booking.

1 hour ago, Ribbiks said:

90% where I'm at. Considering driving an hour or so south for some Band Of Totality™ action, but I also don't feel like contending for traffic space. I think I'll probably settle for the A- and stay home.

No, a partial eclipse is not a A-, it is an F. Even a 99% partial is no visual spectacle at all - it is no darker than a cloudy day, and there's no corona. Drive the hour, FFS. I'm driving 10 hours (and maybe 5 more if weather dictates), and thinking nothing of it. In 2008 I travelled to the Canadian Arctic for the total eclipse. It was cloudy. :( It cleared for the partial phase, but so what? It was actually a greater experience being in cloudy totality (so I'd recommend going to the zone of totality even if the forecast is bad).

Fonze: Hotels in the 'zone' will be expecting it, and already have received lots of bookings. When I booked last December, I got what appeared to be the last hotel room in North Platte, after trying several other towns (Alliance, NE, Casper, WY) that had no rooms at all. (Looking at the current forecast, I'm kind of wishing I'd got my ass in gear earlier and booked in Casper... Actually, I don't know why I didn't, since I'd been fully aware of this eclipse since 2008.)

29 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Wow ling, that's pretty awesome. I'm a bit curious how the hotel/motel staff reacted to you booking that a year in advance.

Well I did it online, so no one cared. For what it's worth I am at a motel over 300 miles from the path of totality tonight, and it is still completely sold out from eclipsegoers.

Wow that's crazy ling, I didn't realize so many people were booking rooms in the path. Good on you for being proactive in getting a room, especially considering how quickly they booked up. 

I was walking to school during the 2015 eclipse here and it was a mostly clear day. Very surreal, the sky went very slightly towards purple and all the birds went quiet :P Wasn't much darker than normal though, it was about 75% I think, totality could only be seen from the Faroe islands.

I'm not sure you really understand how a solar eclipse works???

Link

Looks there's going to eclipses of all sorts, from the looks of it. I just want to see one before I die. Although if I still remain in this country, I probably won't see one until the age of 64.

3 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

2015 eclipse ... totality could only be seen from the Faroe islands.

Svalbard too (right in Longyearbyen, so logistically easy). I would have gone there for it, but didn't due to 90% statistical chance of cloud. However...

http://scrappybook.com/2015/03/pin/todays-eclipse-from-longyearbyen-in-svalbard-a-norwegian-archipelago/

http://www.atmospheric-phenomena-ap.com/2015/03/photos-and-video-of-total-solar-eclipse.html