Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phade102

The End of Mass Effect.

I dont know how many people here are mass effect fans, or who were disappointed in andromeda. it doesnt really matter that much, but it breaks my heart to hear that Bioware have officially discontinued all further updates on mass effect Andromeda, and EA have said they have no interest in a sequel to it. It seems that Mass Effect as a game series is officially dead, thanks to EA =(

Am I the only one sad about this?

Did the third game's ending even leave room for a sequel? Does there even need to be a sequel?

This doesn't sound like news to me.

They didn't say the series was over, they just said they were going to leave it on the shelf for awhile until they can figure out what to do with it. Considering the lukewarm response to Andromeda, it's probably their best option. The series will probably be rebooted somewhere down the line.

Mass Effect is kind of garbage anyway. Let's not pretend its all on EA when Bioware hasn't made a good game in forever.

The name Mass Effect still holds some clout, but they would have to reboot and make a new entry with love and care and time. There was enough of a gap between 3 and now that the name still holds value.

The name Andromeda is tainted and should never be used again because of the perception.

1 hour ago, Red said:

Mass Effect is kind of garbage anyway. Let's not pretend its all on EA when Bioware hasn't made a good game in forever.

You mustn't have played most of their recent games, which were good. Dragon age inqusition was fantastic, SWTOR Was a decent game. But feel free to hate on the company, it is your opinion =)

2 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

Did the third game's ending even leave room for a sequel? Does there even need to be a sequel?

This doesn't sound like news to me.

Yes, the third games ending left room for a sequel, the extended cut shows the Mass Relays were severely damaged but not destroyed, they could be repaired.

Bioware has seemingly lost the members in which brought certain qualities to their games that I enjoyed. They where once a company who's work I enjoyed greatly, But now a shadow of their former selves. You can say Dragon age Inquisition was good, But i thought it was complete trash. This news doesn't bother me as Bioware has been dead to me for quite some time.

Can't ruin a series further if you don't make any more games. It needed to happen, to avoid making a series with one really good game even worse. 

ME2 has better gameplay, but the story took a sharp nosedive. And the removal of elevators and explorable planets was indefensible to me. I enjoy ME1 more, because it better communicated to me being one supersoldier in an entire galaxy. 

17 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

I just kinda want a Mass Effect dating sim.

This is unironically the best possible direction for the series now.

To be honest, after playing Andromeda earlier this year I came to the conclusion that the original trilogy may have been a little overrated and the 4th game extremely underrated. Andromeda became a victim of being released too soon and was effectively drowned in memes. It saddens me because the core game is actually pretty damn good. There were some hit and miss aspects about the story/campaign, but this was the first ME game that I actually thought was fun to play and not just interesting to experience.

I spent over 60 hours in Andromeda and I'm pretty sure I'll be going back for another playthrough later on.

I am honestly surprised that people seem to react to this as if it was impossible to see it coming from a mile away. EA has a history of discontinuing anything that doesn't make good enough money, regardless of the actual cause (More often than not EA's shitty baseline of "quality"). It's not the first time a formerly successful franchise ends up being on life support until EA pulls the plug, and it certainly won't be the last, either.

Get used to it: The moment EA manages to leave a scratch on a franchise, the downward spiral starts spinning. EA creates games to cash in, and EA is hesitant to spend money on proper support and bugfixing. They get the marketing right, the rest is subject to chance in a best-case scenario...

Good riddance, I say. I bought the first game when it was cheap, and I still feel ripped off. Mass Effect's success is one of those mysteries in gaming that I will probably never understand.

I can't say I'm surprised considering how poorly the game was handled by EA and the Bioware B team. It's really disappointing that because of this the franchise is dead and we likely won't be getting any more Mass Effect games in the future, because they are really great games.

There is no game series I love more than Mass Effect, and I still hope we'll get a true sequel sometime in the future and not let the franchise die with Andromeda.

I read quite the article on how Andromeda failed from a development perspective. Development might have been over 5 years but the bulk of it was 18 months. They asked fans "want the game to be before or after" ... fans of sci-fi always want forward (even if sci-fi directors always want to go backward).

Rather than using their old Mass Effect engine they went with some DICE Frostbyte FPS engine that was also used for one of those dragon games. They said there were no RPG mechanics in the engine and it was just all FPS + vehicles and apparently on like a 200 - 500 person staff no one could program RPG mechanics.

They lost their project leads, had 3+ studios working simultaneously in different regions of the planet (North America to South Africa) so they'd waste a lot of time telecommunication. 2 of the studios had issues working together as one thought the other was trying to sabotage it. They outsourced stuff.

They wanted No Man's Sky before No Man's Sky but they realized how boring it was.

8 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Good riddance, I say. I bought the first game when it was cheap, and I still feel ripped off. Mass Effect's success is one of those mysteries in gaming that I will probably never understand.

Yeah that first game was hilariously bad 50% of the time. A lot of issues people complained about with Aliens: Colonial Marines (even had its own version of Xenomorphs). AI shooting into walls, running into gunfire. That damn Macco Tank could drive straight up walls and was tough to control. Micro managing inventories felt forced and yet useless.

The second was far better as it trimmed the fat. The third one just sadly wasn't the second. I didn't like the "war state" the third game became much in the same way Saints Row IV became instead of a world of enjoyment and light of Saints Row III. The third one had more of a 3D map that got a bit too complex and had me lost more than a few times even with a marker pointing the way.

26 minutes ago, Jim Greezy said:

Im a fan of the series, however, i didn't finish 3 and andromeda didn't grab me at all.

so is andromedia is a good state?

Andromeda is in a perfectly playable state right now, but they went in the direction of dragon age inquisition and made all the planets open world, which a lot of people disliked.

10 minutes ago, Phade102 said:

Andromeda is in a perfectly playable state right now, but they went in the direction of dragon age inquisition and made all the planets open world, which a lot of people disliked.

yeah i got off the first planet and got to an ice planet and i just stopped.

8 hours ago, geo said:

Yeah that first game was hilariously bad 50% of the time. A lot of issues people complained about with Aliens: Colonial Marines (even had its own version of Xenomorphs). AI shooting into walls, running into gunfire. That damn Macco Tank could drive straight up walls and was tough to control. Micro managing inventories felt forced and yet useless.

The second was far better as it trimmed the fat. The third one just sadly wasn't the second. I didn't like the "war state" the third game became much in the same way Saints Row IV became instead of a world of enjoyment and light of Saints Row III. The third one had more of a 3D map that got a bit too complex and had me lost more than a few times even with a marker pointing the way.

I've heard better things regarding the sequel, but playing the first one left such a bad impression that I never bothered to play any of the sequels. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.

33 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I've heard better things regarding the sequel, but playing the first one left such a bad impression that I never bothered to play any of the sequels. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.

That's understandable. The only reason why I plowed through all 3 games in a month was the EA $5 a month for all the games thing. I felt the ending of the first game was unsatisfactory, mundane and cliffhanger because they knew there would be a second game. If I had to pay $60 for the sequel after that I'd think twice. I'd also say the third game felt like a sequel to the first game.