Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CzechMate29200

Normal or Ambient soundtracks?

I prefer Normal, but a dark ambient soundtrack for hell is pretty sweet

which type of soundtrack do you think fits DOOM the best?

Edited by CzechMate29200

Both. Everyone can learn a thing or two from Akira Yamaoka.

Ambient Akira

Spoiler

Soundtrack Akira 

Spoiler

even wow this is an amazing rock song in a video game kind of Akira (best combo ever with Mary McGlynn). 

Spoiler

But what I DON'T want is generic ambient OR generic soundtrack music either! Examples: generic classical in the vein of a soundtrack/generic ambient that is boring, has no personality, serves no purpose, is the kenny g of ambient, etc etc etc

After playing Doom 64 and PSX Doom, I honestly think an ambient score fits the game a lot better. It's just something that naturally suits the theme of a Hellish nightmare. The PC's MIDI soundtrack sounds way too happy in places, and it's clear that Prince's music works best when he's working on a jaunty and happy platform-game like Commander Keen.

I usually prefer Normal soundtracks, although a few Ambient soundtracks can be great in terms of atmosphere.

But there is one problem. I don't want to play an Ambient soundtrack when listening to music. But I can easily listen to a Normal soundtrack. And that is what makes Normal soundtracks better in my opinion. They can be so beautiful, that I can listen to them standalone.

@Agentbromsnor Doom 1 has more sinister sounding music and generally better moodiness. I definitely don't like how most Doom II music sounds either strangely upbeat or ironic sounding if that makes any sense, like 'Oh! You are in Hell! There are demons! Oh no! The earth is going to explode!', it kills all the tension. Best examples are The Healer Stalks and Countdown To Death.

What fits Doom best?  Honestly I think it just depends on the individual level.  Some levels do better with heavier, more aggressive sounding music, like metal or industrial.  But others are just screaming to have ambient music in them.  A gothic church would feel odd with demoscene music, while an intact techbase could end up feeling really off if it had something like this playing in it.  But it also depends on the overall feel the designer wants the level to have.

I would also extend this same line of thinking to all games, since it really depends on what the developer is going for in a particular game or level.

9 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

@Agentbromsnor Doom 1 has more sinister sounding music and generally better moodiness. I definitely don't like how most Doom II music sounds either strangely upbeat or ironic sounding if that makes any sense, like 'Oh! You are in Hell! There are demons! Oh no! The earth is going to explode!', it kills all the tension. Best examples are The Healer Stalks and Countdown To Death.

You're right. I was mostly referring to Doom 2 with its strange upbeat melodies. I like Doom 1's music a lot more.

Imagine if Hexen had ambient or dark ambient music instead of the ones that we know.....

7 hours ago, CzechMate29200 said:

I prefer Normal, but a dark ambient soundtrack for hell is pretty sweet

which type of soundtrack do you think fits DOOM the best?

One composed by Frank Zappa.  :)

Ambient is definitely for me, I enjoy being immersed in my actions by music rather than influenced by it (which is what I feel "normal" Doom tracks do, the more agressive the music the more agressive I'll play).

No Doom game has a bad soundtrack, at least not to my ears, but I do get a bit bored with Doom64 for example. Doom1's mix of aggression and ambience always struck me as a perfect mix.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

Imagine if Hexen had ambient or dark ambient music instead of the ones that we know.....

i actually really like Schilder's Hexen compositions and wouldn't trade it for anything. i might even prefer it a bit more over Heretic's music.

1 minute ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i actually really like Schilder's Hexen compositions and wouldn't trade it for anything. i might even prefer it a bit more over Heretic's music.

Yeah, Hexen's music is good and I like it, definitely.

But this is a "what-if" :)

I grew up with PSX Doom and Aubrey Hodges score so ive always preferred the Ambient Soundtracks, just fits the game in my opinion.