Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A7MAD

Direction Control

Recommended Posts

Before you start your map or demo , if you swiftly move your mouse into any direction then this will alter the position of your player towards the direction of your recent mouse movement . For example , the map author in wad x map 5 has set the player to start facing towards the back of the room, then with swift mouse movements (Direction Control) you can alter the players movement to face the front of the room instead .How cool is that? its amazing how such phenomenon can

exist . However, I am thinking this is almost likely a glitch or bug in the game , because this is changing the way the author wants you to play and this can give a player somewhat overall advantage in time in some maps including slaughter maps . 

 

I am starting this thread because it does not seems this situation is widely known . 

Share this post


Link to post

So you can change orientation BEFORE you start moving? Who knew. The player's controls are active the moment the screen melt/transition is over, and if you have your controls set to such a high sensitivity that you can do a 180 in one tic, well, that's your prerogative. It's not cheating in any way.

 

TBQH, I don't understand where you're getting at. If the author DOESN'T want the player to consider moving/attacking in any other direction than dead ahead (e.g. as part of a puzzle or a forced encounter), there are other, less subtle ways to coerce him, such as starting him in a walled alcove, forcing him to shoot as soon as the map starts, having a monster facing him etc. or disabling/cripplling his controls through scripting (temporarily, I hope).

 

Otherwise, if no obvious constraint or coercion exists, scanning the area around you before deciding your first move is just good business. Many times there are secrets or pickups right behind the player's start, rewarding those who bother looking, or a less risky attack strategy rather than e.g. angering those 40 cyberdemons with their backs turned at you.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Maes said:

So you can change orientation BEFORE you start moving? Who knew. The player's controls are active the moment the screen melt/transition is over, and if you have your controls set to such a high sensitivity that you can do a 180 in one tic, well, that's your prerogative. It's not cheating in any way.

 

X
by Counterflix
 
 
 
 
 

TBQH, I don't understand where you're getting at. If the author DOESN'T want the player to consider moving/attacking in any other direction than dead ahead (e.g. as part of a puzzle or a forced encounter), there are other, less subtle ways to coerce him, such as starting him in a walled alcove, forcing him to shoot as soon as the map starts, having a monster facing him etc. or disabling/cripplling his controls through scripting (temporarily, I hope).

 

Otherwise, if no obvious constraint or coercion exists, scanning the area around you before deciding your first move is just good business. Many times there are secrets or pickups right behind the player's start, rewarding those who bother looking, or a less risky attack strategy rather than e.g. angering those 40 cyberdemons with their backs turned at you.

either way it does interfere with how the author wants you to play the map. If he set the player a.k.a you , to look forward for whatever reason , then with direction control it gives the player a somewhat advantage looking in other certain directions . This happened alot in prboom-plus , althought I am not sure in other source ports.

Share this post


Link to post

What you're describing is a total non-issue. At least in ports without scripting, I never heard of the player being prohibited (or supposed to be) from turning the moment he's given full control (and the game's clock start ticking), and I never heard of starting orientation being binding for the player in any way, or central to how "the map was supposed to be played". That's just like arguing that the player shouldn't be able to always run, wallrun, perform SR-40 or SR-50 etc.


Unless the author wants to pull a stupid stunt like e.g. putting the exit switch right behind the player, and counts on nobody noticing or something.

 

And in any case, how do you propose "fixing" this? E.g. locking the player's controls for the first e.g. 5 seconds, or until he crosses a certain linedef? That sounds like the crap certain jokewads pull on the player.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Maes said:

What you're describing is a total non-issue. At least in ports without scripting, I never heard of the player being prohibited (or supposed to be) from turning the moment he's given full control (and the game's clock start ticking), and I never heard of starting orientation being binding for the player in any way, or central to how "the map was supposed to be played". That's just like arguing that the player shouldn't be able to always run, wallrun, perform SR-40 or SR-50 etc.


Unless the author wants to pull a stupid stunt like e.g. putting the exit switch right behind the player, and counts on nobody noticing or something.

 

And in any case, how do you propose "fixing" this? E.g. locking the player's controls for the first e.g. 5 seconds, or until he crosses a certain linedef? That sounds like the crap certain jokewads pull on the player.

Oh ok. But please dont misunderstand me , I was not intending to take this as an issue , all I did was just give my personal view-point like I said earlier:

 

" However, I am thinking this is almost likely a glitch or bug in the game , because this is changing the way the author wants you to play"

 

If I really wanted to take this as an issue then I would have given examples of actual maps which would fit such criteria and I would have written a 500 word unnecessary speech for this. 

Share this post


Link to post

In any case, it's not a glitch: you can turn as much and as fast as you want (or the control scheme allows, anyway) from the moment the clock starts ticking. Granted, you cannot turn 180 degrees in one tic with the keyboard, but you can e.g. with the mouse or a joystick with the sensitivity cranked to maximum (some ports even have a 180 turn button binding). To be fair, this sort of control is most useful during DM or speedrunning (the latter definitively not being "how a map was supposed to be played", in the general case).

 

If a map author want to restrict that, there are both architectural and scripting workarounds, but unless they are done in a very subtle way, they will likely come off as jerkassery/jokes.

Share this post


Link to post

During the original executable's game startup, it's possible to buffer input into the game such that action occurs before the screen wipe: this includes not only turning but motion as well. I imagine most if not all TASes make use of this possibility (here's a MAP01 TAS from DSDA; note the adjusted orientation during the wipe) and, depending on the source port, it can be achieved manually as well.

 

One can do this during any level startup, in fact, provided there's time for the player to buffer input. The easiest way to see consequences of this is to open up DOOM2.EXE (or play a vanilla-compatible executable, like prboom-plus with -cl2 or eternity-engine with -vanilla) and do the following:

  • Warp to MAP06 (use "-warp 6" on the command line)
  • Get to the exit (if you noclip it's just a little bit to your left)
  • Press the use key to skip intermission screens
  • If done correctly, the switch will activate before the screen finishes wiping

Note that you can't achieve the same effect by warping directly to MAP07: it would seem that only mouse input leaks through before game start (and since vanilla had no way of binding "use" key to a single click, it's impossible to produce that action in the buffer).

Share this post


Link to post

A7MAD, just a heads up -- you seem to have 'Counterflix' adware inserting itself into your quotes. 

 

Spoiler

sDqfwXE.png

U69slqS.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

Heh, and I wondered what the deal was with that...

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, rdwpa said:

A7MAD, just a heads up -- you seem to have 'Counterflix' adware inserting itself into your quotes. 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

sDqfwXE.png

U69slqS.png

 

OH shet , when did that happen? must have been when I reinstalled steam

Share this post


Link to post

ugh you might want to change your steam password and all that stuff then (or enable mobile authentication) while at it. And reinstall steam again, this time from the real site :P.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Pegg said:

ugh you might want to change your steam password and all that stuff then (or enable mobile authentication) while at it. And reinstall steam again, this time from the real site :P.

i crie

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×