Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

Yes! We're kinda running short on Heretic projects now so any Heretic project is swell! Heretic actually got me into mapping which is ironic since I never finished or uploaded a Heretic map. :c

Count me in!

Oh, really interesting project! Good luck with it, probably i'll do something this September or maybe even later... But is safe to give that link to the game iwad?

1 minute ago, Walter confetti said:

Oh, really interesting project! Good luck with it, probably i'll do something this September or maybe even later... But is safe to give that link to the game iwad?

Not sure, I just googled a link to it, I removed it in case that's breaking the rules. Hopefully people have a version of the heretic IWAD they can use :)

Good, good. I had some troubles years ago for giving link to a iwad file that lead me to the ban from these forums...

Heretic isn't abandonware just yet, so yeah, please don't post the IWAD on the forums.

That aside though, this definitely sounds interesting! It's been quite a while since I've done some Heretic hodgepodgery and I wouldn't mind giving it another go. I'll keep an eye on this.

Cool looking CP!I am working on a heretic map right now but i will consider joining this one :)

You say that theme can be anything, but also that music should fit Heretic's aesthetic, so I wonder if the theme is also supposed to fit Heretic's aesthetic, or if creative usage of Heretic's resources to make something completely non-Heretic looking-and-feeling would be OK here. Say, a futuristic techbase.

Just now, scifista42 said:

You say that theme can be anything, but also that music should fit Heretic's aesthetic, so I wonder if the theme is also supposed to fit Heretic's aesthetic, or if creative usage of Heretic's resources to make something completely non-Heretic looking-and-feeling would be OK here. Say, a futuristic techbase.

If you can get heretic's assets to look like a futuristic techbase, I will definitely be impressed! :)

I'm happy for people to do whatever they like with their maps, will be interesting to see what people come up with!

1 hour ago, HexenMapper said:
  • Using only vanilla Heretic textures, weapons, enemies and line actions (no ACS/DECORATE/zscript) - we will use the heretic.wad with the 6 episodes (Shadow of the Serpent Riders)
  • Aimed at being played in zdoom/GZDoom, without jumping or crouching
  • Use 'Heretic : Heretic (Doom Format)' in Doom Builder or GZDoom Builder (basic vanilla Heretic Format)

So this is a Limit Removing Heretic map, right?

Being truly limit-removing would require being playable in any limit-removing port, which isn't 100% ensured by using vanilla format and testing only in GZDoom.

For Blasphemer we use Heretic+ as reference port for limit removing heretic.

BTW, you can consider donate some map for Blasphemer, of course.

Using Heretic+ for checking limit-removing-ness is certainly better than using GZDoom for doing so, as the inference goes this way: If a map works in Heretic+, then it's certainly limit-removing (but not necessarily vice versa). If a map is limit-removing, then it will certainly work in GZDoom (but not necessarily vice versa). So, if limit-removing-ness is checked using Heretic+, the worst outcome is that a truly limit-removing map will not pass as one, so it won't be accepted to a project that required limit-removing compatibility even though it could have been. But if limit-removing-ness is checked using GZDoom, the worst outcome is that a non-limit-removing map will pass as one, so the map will be accepted to the project and then it will turn out that players who use another limit-removing port can't play it properly. The latter worst outcome affects more people AND tends to happen more often than the former, which is why I think what I said in the first sentence of this post.

Edited by scifista42

3 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Aimed at being played in zdoom/GZDoom, without jumping or crouching

In which case, why not UDMF? Asking for a friend, who is actually me, that wants to use ceiling glows and slopes and shit but not scripts.

Posting for future reference. I'm going to do something for this if i get some inspiration back.

4 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

So this is a Limit Removing Heretic map, right?

Essentially yes, we will use the basic vanilla format, but limit removing.

4 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

For Blasphemer we use Heretic+ as reference port for limit removing heretic.

I had a quick look at Heretic+, but it seems to need to run in dosbox?

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

In which case, why not UDMF? Asking for a friend, who is actually me, that wants to use ceiling glows and slopes and shit but not scripts.

We're going to stick with the basic doom format, not UDMF, just to keep things simple and let people focus on the map design. UDMF adds too many non-vanilla things like polyobjects etc. It would be more suitable for a Hexen project ;)

How about Boom specials then? Because shadowcasting.

Look, I forsee that I'll want bright lava and shadowy ceilings. I can map vanilla, I just want to do something more interesting.

46 minutes ago, Jayextee said:

Look, I forsee that I'll want bright lava and shadowy ceilings. I can map vanilla, I just want to do something more interesting.

I do belive heretic does not have support for boom specials, correct me if i'm wrong.

7 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Aimed at being played in zdoom/GZDoom

I thought they supported Boom specials. I mean, unless things have changed since an abandoned Heretic project of mine from like 15 years ago used them, they still should. Even with Heretic.

But whatever, I don't think I'll be contributing now. My ardour for this is gone.

Cool, count me in. But I won't be able to start mapping till mid of September so I'm gonna be a late addition to the crew.

I'm not keen on the restrictions or the short time frame, but it's great to see a Heretic CP, and I may still decide to make a map.

I'm actually vaguely interested in this project, which is weird since (1) I'm not really a fan of Heretic and (2) I suck at mapping. But maybe it would be nice to have a try at mapping again; it's been >15 years since my last single player map, and I'm on holiday next week.

So sign me up.

Well since i love heretic i'll give it a try, also my first try in a community project, sign me in.

also my suggetion please fix it:

-Wings of Wrath (flying item): Make sure if you let a player fly to an area they would not be able to escape without flying, provide a teleport exit or another wings of wrath in case their wings wear off while in that area

To

[...] provide a teleport exit in case their wings [...]

since if player take it and play around carelesss he may get stuck forever, and in multiplayer whiout itens respawn too, e2m2 is a good example of it.

I've only just gotten my hands on the iWad for this game and dug through it. . . .I've never really played it before, but I have a few ideas for some maps that'd fit the aesthetic. I'm so there.

Good to see so much interest! Welcome aboard those who have signed up.

8 hours ago, Jayextee said:

There is no boom heretic format as far as I can tell, our options are:
Heretic (Doom format)
Heretic (Hexen Format)
Heretic (UDMF)

I'm for working with regular Doom format as it makes the focus on interesting map design rather than zdoom features and details, but if you really need a few detailing things from UDMF, I'm sure that will be fine - assuming the map will still work when stuck in a wad with a bunch of vanilla format maps. I'm not sure if more vanilla ports like Heretic+ support UDMF - I will do some investigating and get back to you.

It would be best if someone playtests this whole megawad in Heretic+ before release. Mind that textures can be subject to "tutti-frutti" and "medusa" errors.

4 minutes ago, printz said:

It would be best if someone playtests this whole megawad in Heretic+ before release. Mind that textures can be subject to "tutti-frutti" and "medusa" errors.

Definitely a good idea and something I will recommend. Is there a better way to run Heretic+ than through dosbox? it would be nice to set it up for testing in GZDoom Builder and to be able to quickly set up demo recording and playback