Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

42 minutes ago, HexenMapper said:

@Impie

Here's my attempt at music for your map:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/anxzexiudgdbawg/music_of_dr_chaos.zip

See what you think. There's an .mp3 and MIDI there. Not sure what kind of synthesizer you have for MIDI, but the .mp3 shows what it sounded like for me, using Windows Default Synthesizer

This is pretty cool man. I'll put it in and finalize the map in a little while.

EDIT: New version here.

Edited by Impie

Friends, thank you very much for the game. Name with spaces did not affect the playback of the demo.

@Impiegot a couple of demos for you:

demo1:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5rMkuUj5h_gdUkwc2VtaXVmRWM

demo2:https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5rMkuUj5h_gdjFaLXdCalBpdVk

interesting map, good interpretation of an hub world, the green key area was my favourite.

Now, i tried to take note during the demos as much as possible, but i have to make a couple of remarks:

Yellow key area: Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus,Maulotaurus

neat the way they can follow you to the hub if you just ignore them,unfortunately they just get stuck in there... personally i would allow more movement in the hub area at the cost of making a second access to the balcony above the tree key-locket doors, but that could potentially completely break the map, so it is up to you. (btw, holy moly thats a lot of cows, what is this, diablo?)
Green key area: the wings are nice and allow to skip one entire area if used properly, i didn't but it was pretty cool nevertheless.
Blue key area:i lost a bunch of time there, like a lot of time (you'll know what i mean if you watch the second demo), but it was the cooler looking area in the set (pardon the pun), just a bit empty, that is.
Last area: I mean, the fight is really interesting, but i simply didn't had enough ammo to cut trought all that health (and i wasted my ring trying to clear out the buffalos)( see below in the weapon section).

something unexpected happened (i died) and something even more unexpected happened (the boss died a couple of seconds later), so i cheated a little bit, but could not find an exit (i guess my death broke something? maybe a voodo dool?)

Overall, nice to have 'secrets' if you reach an area with some other key in your inventory.

Weapons and ammo: i found it pretty much balanced, i could even kill all the buffalos (even if i had some serious trouble reaching it, due to my usual playstyle). just one major gripe: the phoenix road, please, give it to me at least at the last fight witout it being a secret weapon... i realize that probably you can find it really early (probably even before the crossbow), but someone is gonna miss it and is going to be very sad looking at all that ammo he/she can't use.

Artifacts: wasn't really incentivized to use bombs, since i mostly found them in areas where i didn't needed them (hello blue key area), but otherwise i always found an use for them, so this is a plus in my book.

Bugs: you still have some flats on walls, it shouldn't be an issue since we are fundamentally aiming at zdoom (and those fancy voodo dools scripting would not work anyway in vanilla without some additional work in them). I don't know what happened at the end, probably is just the fact i died, but i need some rest from this journey.

^ The exit pillars should lower when the boss is defeated, so I dunno what happened either. Also one trick, especially on UV (which is what it sounds like you played it on) is the order in which you enter realms, and your use of artifacts.

Spoiler

You can get the yellow key and use a Chaos Device to return to earth, ensuring that the cows don't follow you back.

Also, the boss is a puzzle too. You don't have to dump ammo on him to defeat him. Knock all the riders off their mounts, then telefrag one when he teleports to the central pillar. Or knock one off his mount, telefrag him to knock the others off theirs, then repeat.

I tend to do Cow Realm last in any case.

I'll see about making the music room bigger. Might actually be a nice touch.

EDIT: New update. Does look nicer actually. Plus added a bit more ammo and stuff, and made it so it's not just the cows who can follow you back.

Edited by Impie

Eheh, i realize that the best strategy is to do what you did in your video, unfortunately that was basically my first attempt since i died so early on, so i couldn't have known that. I might return to it and see if i can legit uv-max it.

This project is going to be really good from the look of it!

Looks great @danielhday I look forward to playtesting :) Post your map in the discord when you're ready and we can give you some demos / feedback

@Everyone: ONE WEEK REMAINS
Some great maps mostly done so far, good luck to those still mapping

On 14.09.2017 at 1:26 PM, Cacowad said:

@riderr3 I posted a demo and some feedback on your discord channel, should i also post it here?

Yeah, just in case.

Also my modem is broken last week. Got new today. Fortunately I've uploaded my map earlier.

@HexenMapper I suppose it will be 2 episodes wad, probably 18 maps? And what about secret exits, will they be added later?

10 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

@HexenMapper I suppose it will be 2 episodes wad, probably 18 maps? And what about secret exits, will they be added later?

Yep that's about right. I don't think we'll have any secret maps, so no secret exists needed

Very well then, i'll copy-paste the interesting bits: 

i tried to record a uv-max FDA, just to remember at the end that i didn't gave permissions to write to zdoom, so no fda.

Died at the very beginning on my first attempt by jumping in the gasbag pit and accidentally blowing myself up; but after that i didn't even sweated it, the map is really easy, excedingly so by the excessive amount of health and armor (wich is pretty powerfull in heretic, giving 50% and 80% absorption each), i never EVER used a crystal flask (the portable medikit). This lead to my successive complaint: the artifact usage. No time bombs make cacowad sad. Generally the artifacts felt redundant, didn't needed the tomes nor the flasks nor the shadowsphere! cut out at least 2 silver shields, 20% to 40% of the vials and some ammo, then we are talking.

the interconnectivity of the map is a beast, it was a pleasure to explore.

Uv-max here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5rMkuUj5h_gRmJhTEhMNXJnWjA

something i failed to notice earlier: ammo isn't too far off balance, it maybe gives a bit too much tolerance for error, but since you didn't provided any bombs it is fine imho.

Decided that I want in on this so gonna try to make something before the deadline.

Also that link to Crispy Heretic is apparently dead.

Just now, Philnemba said:

Decided that I want in on this so gonna try to make something before the deadline.

Also that link to Crispy Heretic is apparently dead.

ok you have 4/5 days left :)

Is pretty beta at the moment, but this is a first release of my map:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6auk3ndfcrqlgbb/hump-map.wad

Title: Mines of mystery (oh boy, what a generic title)

Slot: E1M1 (for now)

Description: A cavernous place with some buildings joining the mines section

Build time: 15 days

New music: None (for now, if you found any good music for it i'll be glad!)

Find bugs and errors where possible, your feedback is always super appreciated

Ugh I guess I'd better be getting into speedmap mode if I'm going to get this in in time.  I've got something half-done, but it's still... half-done.

3 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I've got something half-done, but it's still... half-done.

Hey "dream small and get big" :)

5 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Is pretty beta at the moment, but this is a first release of my map:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6auk3ndfcrqlgbb/hump-map.wad

Title: Mines of mystery (oh boy, what a generic title)

Slot: E1M1 (for now)

Description: A cavernous place with some buildings joining the mines section

Build time: 15 days

New music: None (for now, if you found any good music for it i'll be glad!)

Find bugs and errors where possible, your feedback is always super appreciated

Really excellent map Walter! great work

Here's a demo:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t7yy6j5djpwtdop/mines.lmp

It was a pleasure to explore, good health and ammo balance. some nice details and a definitely creepy vibe...

The bars are the start closed before I could pass them - might want to make the trigger linedef a little later after the player has passed those bars.

The only criticism I have is that I never got to go through all those portals after first getting the wings of wrath, as I came to the exit first. I suppose I could have gone back and explored them though, as I still had another wings of wrath. And the exit area showed one of the (secrets?) that would have suggested I should go back to retrieve it.

I might suggest placing some ammo or an artifact like the bag of holding or something as well as the quartz flask in that area near the exit (perhaps remove the quartz flask, as player is pretty full health at that stage - not much incentive to go back to get something you don't need). Some ammo or a rarer artifact might be more intriguing.

If anyone wants a mac build of crispy heretic let me know (that's what I'm testing against)

Through tests, amended the "Ceremony". Now the best items are in place and the final scene was interesting.

used track "Augen auf [XG] - ALhoRRo_GisheRamayReR_2.mid"

Download: https://yadi.sk/d/-LigFdix3MvazG

-----------------

Mines of mystery

Interesting catacombs, good lighting effects. Few enemies, because the cave is empty. The entry way is not the best, alternative way. In addition, line 36, 59, 60 are joining other sectors.

Edited by BeeWen

I think this is really shaping up to be a cool release. I'm looking forward to the final consolidated megawad :D congrats all!

@Walter confetti Map is looking good man, I found one problem though, the area between the starting corridor and the yellow key door has some strange blocking going on. I have no idea what's going on there... Can't see anything in the editor. perhaps a gargoyle died in a strange way and blocked me... You could also remove a bunch of quartz flasks on hard. I ended up with about 5 and still at 95 health :)

Here's the demo:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j2l1zt6igft9jjl/mines2.lmp

@BeeWen

What about "prohodet cherez nasos" ?  (проходить через насос)

Edited by HexenMapper

Walter confetti

I'm sorry, but I wanted to help with the construction of the correct transparent sectors in vanilla. Problem place the yellow doors on your map right now, look at the location of the lines in the sectors. They should be rotated front and rear equally to internal and external sectors, and then only need to assign them a reference to the domestic sector. Furthermore made themselves visible yellow door. If the changes you don't like it, I'm not against the original. Except, of course, transparent sectors.

https://yadi.sk/d/tEBmYNbo3N8FfW

Only a few days remaining people, when you submit your final map, make sure you have a name for it, and to specify if you have a MIDI in mind or are happy to just have a regular Heretic MIDI dropped in.

You can also specify a sky as well if you like. You can use the regular 3 Heretic skies, or these 2 from hexen:

https://imgur.com/a/8QUZp

Either specify a sky number from heretic (SKY1 - grey clouds, SKY2 - volcanic mountains, SK3 - Underwater Dome) or just say "blue hexen sky" or "yellow hexen sky".

Thanks, good luck to everyone. We have 13 maps mostly done at this stage so definitely going to be a nice little mapping project coming together.