Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

Just now, Angry Saint said:

Sorry to say, I will not be able to finish my map in time. I will save it for Blasphemer.

No problem Angry Saint, thanks for letting us know :)

2 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Either specify a sky number from heretic (SKY1 - grey clouds, SKY2 - volcanic mountains, SK3 - Underwater Dome) or just say "blue hexen sky" or "yellow hexen sky".

I had to include my own sky so the void effects would look right. Is that okay?

It doesn't work with the stock skies.

10 hours ago, BeeWen said:

Walter confetti

I'm sorry, but I wanted to help with the construction of the correct transparent sectors in vanilla. Problem place the yellow doors on your map right now, look at the location of the lines in the sectors. They should be rotated front and rear equally to internal and external sectors, and then only need to assign them a reference to the domestic sector. Furthermore made themselves visible yellow door. If the changes you don't like it, I'm not against the original. Except, of course, transparent sectors.

https://yadi.sk/d/tEBmYNbo3N8FfW

Oh, I get it now! Thanks a lot, I was even thinking of a nodebuilder problem... i'll check that later when I am at my pc...

Also About the the skies, I don't have any preference for my map, expect the blue skies that I don't think they could work on it...

38 minutes ago, Impie said:

I had to include my own sky so the void effects would look right. Is that okay?

It doesn't work with the stock skies.

yep thats fine, I have your sky and will point your map to it in the MAPINFO lump.

Has the final version of your map been submitted or are you still tweaking things?

Current status of my map, I'd love to hear any feedback and watch demos of people playing it: https://soulsphere.org/hump-map.wad

Currently there are very few monsters (I'm planning to add them) and no exit. I also need to figure out switch / key progression at the start of the level. Some rooms towards the end have not been textured yet and are a bit of a mess. Please disregard the HOM when raising the portcullis.

I haven't posted on this thread for a while, so I thought I ought to add something for those simply excited to play the final Pwad:

Spoiler

This is a bathhouse in the middle of an ocean:

59c520aebfaa7_Sidhatraz(editarea)at2017_09.2208-37-38.389R2787.jpg.e0f98cfe19c88d0104405c4fdf0c4e44.jpg

The location might not make any sense but it doesn't matter!

My map is currently in beta/release candidate stage and planing to consider it finish the day before the deadline(as in tomorrow) once I get more feedback.

PhilHUMPFinal.wad

Spoiler

Screenshot_89.png?width=385&height=301

Edited by Philnemba : Updated RC1 to Final version

13 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

yep thats fine, I have your sky and will point your map to it in the MAPINFO lump.

Has the final version of your map been submitted or are you still tweaking things?

i think the last upload was the final one

5 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Sorry, but i can't fix that damn sector bleed, even modified the yellow door sector linedefs to one side as BeeWen noted, but the problem is still here. Crap.

I fixed you this error with sectors by adding another sector and turning out the same line. See an example in my previous message and try to do the same.

Great work everyone so far! some stunning and fun maps, look forward to unleashing these on heretic fans everywhere.

Mapping deadline is 23:59 GMT on Sunday 24th September

After that I will post an alpha version people can play through and we'll find any glitches or errors and work things out. During this period any late maps might be able to sneak in... If you don't think you'll finish your map by the 30th, you will probably have to wait until HUMP2 (if such a project occurs - its likely!)

we're currently up to 14 maps essentially completed, with 1 or 2 more in mid-late stages of completion. Others may appear as the deadline hits, so we'll see if there are more on top of this.

13 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Sorry, but i can't fix that damn sector bleed, even modified the yellow door sector linedefs to one side as BeeWen noted, but the problem is still here. Crap.

Anyway here it is with some quartz flask removed:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6auk3ndfcrqlgbb/hump-map.wad

I believe I've fixed the problem - I just used the Make New Sector tool in doom builder around that area and it seems to have cleared up the strange collisions (something, something, nodes building correctly?)

Here's a fixed version of your map:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/exryafxb1ys66k7/walter_confetti_BLEEDFIX.wad

If you're happy with that (and if the problem has been rectified - I tried it twice and seems to be fine), I can use this as you final version.

3 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

I believe I've fixed the problem - I just used the Make New Sector tool in doom builder around that area and it seems to have cleared up the strange collisions (something, something, nodes building correctly?)

Here's a fixed version of your map:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/exryafxb1ys66k7/walter_confetti_BLEEDFIX.wad

If you're happy with that (and if the problem has been rectified - I tried it twice and seems to be fine), I can use this as you final version.

Thank you very much, i was going to do the same thing (as BeeWen did) but now looks pointless, maybe... Anyway You can use that new version for the map, thanks!

Also, yesterday i've played the last two new maps by philnemba and fraggle maps, they're both pretty cool!

@fraggle I liked your map, it could be a good opener / early episode map, I like the graveyard / catacombs style and the theme \ texturing is quite solid, even if pretty unfinished... But you wrote this problem with the map too. Finish this map, it have quite a good potential! No major bugs founded expect a pair of little slime trials...

@Philnembayour map reminded me some simplified heretic version of plutonia's level "hunted", but with malotaurs instead of Arch Viles, it could be a perfect final boss map! The only thing is add more ammo for the final battle room...

Also, we have already levels for 2 episodes? Cool!

My map is done!

Spoiler

Some quick snaps:

59c694db47bd4_SidhatrazVF(editarea)at2017_09.2311-04-57.719R2787.jpg.c4fd084f30a42a363e8a225050d4959e.jpg

View of the completed church with the lighthouse in the background!

59c694dcde999_SidhatrazVF(editarea)at2017_09.2311-05-43.255R2787.jpg.d074d4eab4d6b871c3bf88734fbf47f8.jpg

Completed interior shot!

59c694de1a194_SidhatrazVF(editarea)at2017_09.2311-06-39.727R2787.jpg.88a27290a2f7990f7c14730e92ed0b44.jpg

The back of the bathhouse has a water pump! No one seems to have noticed it yet so I wanted to guarantee someone would check out this unnecessary detail!

I have put up a beta test version of my level "Chaos in Bloom" on my site:

http://ettingrinder.youfailit.net/mywip.html

It should be functional/completable and generally acceptable, but unfortunately it hasn't yet had as much gameplay balancing and polish as I would want.  Skill levels exist but might be too hard on easy and too easy on hard.

It plays on E3M2 (for sky/music).

Ok, i played your revision of my map @HexenMapper, and unluckily with a fixed bleed, also the walkable line effect has gone... i'm going to fix it if possible, otherwise use the @BeeWen version for my fixed map if it's possible... going to fix it to myself too...

EDIT: Final fix, probably. Now the fake sectors doesn't bleed around, and works perfectly! Thanks again to Beewen for the help!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6auk3ndfcrqlgbb/hump-map.wad

Edited by Walter confetti

@ETTiNGRiNDER This is easily my favorite of the submissions so far. Really great progression with a sort of Sandy Peterson setup (big central room where the rest of the areas all connect). The spawn/closet traps kept me on my toes each time a new area opened and were a great touch. If this were a contest it'd probably place in the top 3.

@Cacowad The exploding teleporters trick is pretty ingenious. I think this map would work great as a secret level because of the novelty of it.

Edited by Impie : decided not to post youtube vids of other peoples' maps, unlisted or otherwise

9 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Ok, i played your revision of my map @HexenMapper, and unluckily with a fixed bleed, also the walkable line effect has gone... i'm going to fix it if possible, otherwise use the @BeeWen version for my fixed map if it's possible... going to fix it to myself too...

I am glad that my knowledge was useful.

Yes, auxiliary lines, such gradations of light and invisible walls would be better to make invisible on the Automap.

The final fix "ceremony" https://yadi.sk/d/-LigFdix3MvazG

@danielhday The intro corridor is really swanky. If you're gonna block the player from walking over the main structure's ledges, I'd also add metal grates as "railing" cos it doesnt make sense that I wouldn't be able to walk off those tiny ledges. Also kind of odd that you put so much detail into the columns of a room that is otherwise completely devoid of detail. Level structure often left me wondering where i was supposed to go next, or what that switch i flipped just did, and I frequently questioned the texture choices in a lot of areas. Final area with the maulotaurs was pretty cool except for the lift that wastes most of my tome's time on the way down there, and then the two cramped switch hallways with maulotaurs in them, which is kind of pointless and bullshit. I would just let the player reach the switches once the main maulotaurs are dead.

Edited by Impie

OK

Deadline has been reached! We have 16 maps essentially done and one that is nearly finished.

I will be slotting in the final maps to the project, doing a bit of a double check and then we will have a brief period of closed alpha in the discord (of course you're welcome to join and have a look), just to make sure there aren't any glaring holes.

We should hopefully be posing the beta version here either tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Ok here's the Alpha build of HUMP:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/591nan52nh79495/HUMP_ALPHA.zip

There are still a few issues and may be more bugs.

Main issue is the "sky5" not showing up on the maps that specify it in the MAPINFO. Not too sure what the issue is there, but its a minor aesthetic 'issue'.

We would love to hear any feedback, bug reports, recommendations, etc. 

played the first episode of the set on gzdoom, it's a mixed bag imho, but all community projects tend to have this kind of approach, amirite?

Anyway, best of the bunch are e1m1 and e1m8, but overall pretty good works here!

Talking about e1m1 it couldn't be possible add some item here, maybe a chaos device?Screenshot_Heretic_20170925_234830.png.0b6d9afb968bea5cfdab4691f863fa98.png

2 hours ago, danielhday said:

@HexenMapper How long do I have to submit another version of my map?

It will probably take us a week or so to solve the major problems, so just keep at it, we can slot a new version of your map in at any time before the final release, which may be still a few weeks away.

Post your latest in the discord and I can do a play through and provide some demos / comments :)

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Talking about e1m1 it couldn't be possible add some item here, maybe a chaos device?Screenshot_Heretic_20170925_234830.png.0b6d9afb968bea5cfdab4691f863fa98.png

What do you mean? Add a chaos device where the map scroll is or put it on the walkway? There is a chaos device in the map, but its only there in easy.