Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

On 22 August 2017 at 7:58 AM, HexenMapper said:

I had a look around, I already have crispy doom and quite like it - crispy heretic would be ideal for testing (and playing) this project, but it seems we need the heretic binaries to do so. I haven't been able to find them so far...

Crispy Heretic and Hexen existed when Crispy Doom was v1.5, and you can still use that version, and it works fine. It runs vanilla maps, extends limits and doesn't crash when Chocolate does.

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_1.5.zip

Long story short, this is the best way to play Hexen and Heretic, it just isn't being updated in the future.

9 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Maybe put their names to the OP like this project does.

Good idea, I will definitely do this once the project is complete - sometimes people drop out or fail to finish their maps and I'd also like to keep the OP succinct for now. I will do this once we release though :)

8 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Crispy Heretic and Hexen existed when Crispy Doom was v1.5, and you can still use that version, and it works fine. It runs vanilla maps, extends limits and doesn't crash when Chocolate does.

http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_1.5.zip

Long story short, this is the best way to play Hexen and Heretic, it just isn't being updated in the future.

A kind poster directed us to Crispy Doom 3.2 which has the Crispy Heretic and Hexen and works great, but thank you for that version, I will keep it in case we experience issues with 3.2

20 minutes ago, HexenMapper said:

Good idea, I will definitely do this once the project is complete - sometimes people drop out or fail to finish their maps and I'd also like to keep the OP succinct for now. I will do this once we release though :)

Or perhaps put them in now as "interested" or "potential" mappers, as seeing a large list of possible participants might encourage new people to join in on the fun and stuffs. If someone drops out, you can just take their name off the list and erase them from history.

And if you want to keep the OP nice and tidy, you can just put the list inside a spoiler.

7 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Writing down a list of mapper's names once the project is complete is a matter of course. My point was specifically to write it and keep updating it both before the project starts and while it runs. Doomworld Mega Project has such a list in the "Interested mappers" spoiler.

I already popped into the chat the other day, but to make it a little more "official", I'll post here too that I'm interested in being in for this.

Add me to the list too, I could be one of the latter mappers (September /mid September) that join this project!

24 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Add me to the list too, I could be one of the latter mappers (September /mid September) that join this project!

will do!

Hey guys, I am just here to tell you that Crispy Heretic (and Hexen and Strife) is still there and regularly synced with the (admittedly, sparse) commits to the Choco code base. It is just that Crispy Heretic/Hexen/Strife are not built and released anymore, because I haven't done any changes to them since the initial release (though, I have turned Heretic limit-removing at one point).

I have recently pushed a commit to GIT that makes it easier to build the three non-Doom games. In the Crispy source directory do

cd src
make -C heretic
make crispy-heretic

and you are done!

4 hours ago, fabian said:

Hey guys, I am just here to tell you that Crispy Heretic (and Hexen and Strife) is still there and regularly synced with the (admittedly, sparse) commits to the Choco code base. It is just that Crispy Heretic/Hexen/Strife are not built and released anymore, because I haven't done any changes to them since the initial release (though, I have turned Heretic limit-removing at one point).

I have recently pushed a commit to GIT that makes it easier to build the three non-Doom games. In the Crispy source directory do

cd src
make -C heretic
make crispy-heretic

and you are done!

Amazing, thanks fabian. I will have a fool around with this :)

And it begins. Good luck to everyone who has joined, look forward to seeing what you all come up with!

Feel free to post wads here or in the discord for playtesting and feedback

"Sketch" levels just to get familiar with Eureka and Heretic's texture set. The prospect of making a full single-player level is a bit daunting for me so doing small experiments is a nice way to make some progress.

LNaso3e.png

uEBc51C.png

There are two maps for Heretic, built long ago as an experiment in the editor. If the project is still open, will be able to share.

8 minutes ago, BeeWen said:

There are two maps for Heretic, built long ago as an experiment in the editor. If the project is still open, will be able to share.

It's open until the 24th, friend. Share to your heart's content. c:

11 minutes ago, BeeWen said:

Yep you're welcome to submit these if you like, or make a new one from scratch. 

Just dropping this here after seeing some talk about Heretic's limited texture set elsewhere. FLAT513 is decent for a grass texture and GRSTNPBV kinda works for a lantern-like look.

QvI3z1e.png

2Qd1Fjw.png

7 hours ago, bonnie said:

It's open until the 24th, friend. Share to your heart's content. c:

I read about the deadline on September 24. Simply said, the project has free slots or not. Very glad that the free space there is.

Music tracks in the search process.

Downloads:

https://yadi.sk/d/rROtmXFvism4f

Screenshot_Heretic_20170830_232730.jpg

Screenshot_Heretic_20170830_234430.jpg

Screenshot_Heretic_20170830_234816.jpg

Screenshot_Heretic_20170830_235105.jpg

Really great looking map, BeeWen, I recorded a demo of the "during the ceremony" map, great gameplay and really well balanced.

I felt the balance went a bit off after gettting the gauntlets of the necromancer, and found myself very low on ammo and health (ended up needing to fight 6 or so undead warriors with only my staff / gauntlets and 17 health...

Here's the demo, Its pretty short but I will record a few others after work, as well as some for the second map 

You'll need zdoom 2.8.1 to play it (and I had to rename your wad to "HERETIC_before_the_ceremony", so you'll need to do that too) Spaces in the filename aren't good for recording demos :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/z9hxyep3rg8z5pw/ceremony1.lmp

Just now, Impie said:

I've started a half dozen maps and I hate them all.

Combine the best parts of all of those into a map.

Just now, SOSU said:

Combine the best parts of all of those into a map.

There aren't any. lol.

Just now, Impie said:

There aren't any. lol.

Then combine the most average ones and remake them to be better

On 31.08.2017 at 5:11 AM, HexenMapper said:

Really great looking map, BeeWen, I recorded a demo of the "during the ceremony" map, great gameplay and really well balanced.

I felt the balance went a bit off after gettting the gauntlets of the necromancer, and found myself very low on ammo and health (ended up needing to fight 6 or so undead warriors with only my staff / gauntlets and 17 health...

Here's the demo, Its pretty short but I will record a few others after work, as well as some for the second map 

You'll need zdoom 2.8.1 to play it (and I had to rename your wad to "HERETIC_before_the_ceremony", so you'll need to do that too) Spaces in the filename aren't good for recording demos :)

Thanks for the game, waiting for sequels. There is the idea to make a smaller number of enemies on this level. To complement the locations of the second map. Do I need to do?

On 31.08.2017 at 5:11 AM, HexenMapper said: