Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

Bungalow's water realm: the water stairs nearest the player entry point has no side textures. Everything else looks okay. I dunno if you want me to fix that or if you're supposed to fix it at this point since you compiled everything.

22 minutes ago, Impie said:

Bungalow's water realm: the water stairs nearest the player entry point has no side textures. Everything else looks okay. I dunno if you want me to fix that or if you're supposed to fix it at this point since you compiled everything.

Great, I'll have a look. I fixed a few other water side textures (as well as the side textures of the switch that raises the water stairs - I assume you didn't mean the switch to be made of water.. ?)

We just did a co-op test of E1 and made a list of fixes and co-op problems, so I'll do a clean up of those tomorrow.

Some crazy screens from our play-testing:

Spoiler

eJcY5wp.png

Fp9XkwM.png

fFvMRnw.png

tGYBhbd.png

GOOcIkT.png

lUq8FFv.png

5j9Aqc9.png

13 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

What do you mean? Add a chaos device where the map scroll is or put it on the walkway? There is a chaos device in the map, but its only there in easy.

On the walkway.

9 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Great, I'll have a look. I fixed a few other water side textures (as well as the side textures of the switch that raises the water stairs - I assume you didn't mean the switch to be made of water.. ?)

I did so theyd stand out a bit more if the player is lookingfor them, but whichever looks better.

OK Alpha has been updated (link is the same - its in the OP)

E1 should be looking pretty good by now and should work fine for Co-Op (4 players max)

We'll start looking at E2 next

13 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

We'll start looking at E2 next

Let me know if there needs to be any changes on my "Trial of the Maulotaur" map because I'm considering adding more health & add skill difficulty on the Maulotaurs.

Beta released (Link in OP), now up to 17 maps!

@Philnemba Trial of the Maulotaur is looking good, I played through it yesterday and there was plenty of health and artifacts and ammo. I was able to finish it :)

I thought I'd show some screenshots from the final version of my map:

Spoiler

59d11647668fa_SidhatrazVF8(editarea)at2017_10.0110-18-12.888R2787.jpg.c2139294e34001e5fcb93c8c81ede0a6.jpg

59d1164f2de9c_SidhatrazVF8(editarea)at2017_10.0110-18-26.484R2787.jpg.3aa23a3b7c5e133c14982791a313c6bd.jpg

59d1165504b19_SidhatrazVF8(editarea)at2017_10.0110-18-44.114R2787.jpg.f0680a9bff5ac84ef6227d1cbb4eb944.jpg

59d11639b5aac_SidhatrazVF8(editarea)at2017_10.0110-19-27.780R2787.jpg.d956d41ec2229d9620d0389a259b31af.jpg

59d11640a6516_SidhatrazVF8(editarea)at2017_10.0110-19-47.062R2787.jpg.ae99e322e492a818d53c778ab9551d1d.jpg

I hope everyone who has downloaded the alphas or beta has had a good time testing!

Well folks, we've done some testing, fixed some bugs, noted some other bugs (mostly in GZDoom) added Doomsday map definitions and added the latest version of the maps.

HUMP is now released! v1.0

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hyh7q4k2b3alg0g/HUMP.zip

Link is also in the OP

Congrats to everyone involved, some really excellent maps in there. You should all be very happy, both new mappers to heretic and the older hands to mapping.

Yay, it's done!

I had a lot of fun with this project, and I look forward for more! 

This upcoming march the forum name will match the Discord name.

Edited by ClumsyWizard

Just did a minor edit on E2M4, which was acting strangely in GDZoom. Now runs fine. Latest version is 1.1, download link is the same

21 minutes ago, therektafire said:

So what will the next *UMP be? Hexen? Strife?

Not sure yet - Either Hexen or another Heretic one. This will still be a few months off and I have a few 'resources' to prepare in the interim.

If Heretic, it will be with full zdoom features and ACS and new textures (probably the Hexen Texture set), and likely with some new additions to the monster cast.

If Hexen, it will likely be regular Hexen in zdoom format and we will attempt to make a hub or two depending on the interest levels.

This also depends on what people are interested in. I might create a poll to see what people are keen for. I did the same at the start of this project - offering Hexen or Heretic and people chose Heretic... 

I have an idea hashed up already for Hump 2.. or something.

Hexen might be difficult for the reason above but if two people were focused on just hubs I'd think it would be okay.

2 minutes ago, ClumsyWizard said:

I have an idea hashed up already for Hump 2.. or something.

Hexen might be difficult for the reason above but if two people were focused on just hubs I'd think it would be okay.

Hubs might not be all that tough, but it will require quite a bit more collaboration among the map makers for that particular hub. After all of the maps of that hub are more or less done, someone could come along and iron out the logical progression of the hub and do playtesting to make sure it all functions like it should and try to account for alll possibilities (i.e. the player chooses to solve the puzzle in map B first instead of A, or a switch set to repeatable that shouldn't be, or if some wiseguy ends up breaking the map by using the chaos device at the wrong time).

I vote for Heretic... Hexen looks difficult to map imho... But I never tried it.

A funny idea could be also making a project for Chex quest or another more obscure iwad, like hacx, harmony or action doom 2, for example...

I just played 4 maps in this mapset and this is good...E1M1 surprised me a lot for the map transformation!!!

Great stuff...

15 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I just played 4 maps in this mapset and this is good...E1M1 surprised me a lot for the map transformation!!!

Great stuff...

Glad to see that you liked it! Wait until you get to late E1 and all of E2, I've only played through the alpha of some of those maps and they are extraordinary!

Just now, Skeletonpatch said:

Glad to see that you liked it! Wait until you get to late E1 and all of E2, I've only played through the alpha of some of those maps and they are extraordinary!

Sure thing man, I'll play all of the maps in due time ;)

10 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

If Hexen, it will likely be regular Hexen in zdoom format and we will attempt to make a hub or two depending on the interest levels.

@HexenMapper I wouldn't mind participating in a Hexen mapping project ;)

If this does come into fruition may I make a few suggestions to simplify things:

- Make one large hub map that connects to all maps except last map AKA Korax boss map

- Make it require to complete a certain number of maps to access last map

- Since its Zdoom format would it be possible to reset inventory after a map completion so you wouldn't be able to carry duplicate keys or puzzle items to other maps?

I already have my own idea for an individual Hexen project, but I probably won't do anything with it for some time. I'm not saying what the idea is though, it's a surprise for when I never finally announce that I am working on this project!

Congratulation on the release! i'll be playing the final product in the next few days.

I'm honestly all aboard an hexen wad, if we are going to have a longer deadline, since collabiorations on maps can be tricky and i'm a slowpoke of a mapper

2 hours ago, Da Werecat said:

Demon's Crest midi in the second map = very welcome, but also very quiet.

Yeah...there are like 3 DC midis and most are mediocre...

(I made that map BTW)

8 hours ago, Philnemba said:

@HexenMapper I wouldn't mind participating in a Hexen mapping project ;)

If this does come into fruition may I make a few suggestions to simplify things:

- Make one large hub map that connects to all maps except last map AKA Korax boss map

- Make it require to complete a certain number of maps to access last map

- Since its Zdoom format would it be possible to reset inventory after a map completion so you wouldn't be able to carry duplicate keys or puzzle items to other maps?

We will make a set plan if we start a Hexen project. One hub will be the way to start (I'd be surprised if we get enough interest for a second hub).

Each map will have a specific objective in it, this could be a puzzle piece, a switch to throw ("You hear a distant Scream of Rage..."), or a key to collect, or perhaps a combination of the above. 

We will plan out before we start which map will have which key or puzzle piece, so the mappers know what to include (and possibly people could claim keys etc. as they need them)

As for resetting items, I would be against that as Hexen is all about collecting items and using them as you need. We can tweak during the playtesting phase if one map gives more artifacts than necessary, or if another map is much harder. Its pretty easy to swap keys around so certain maps are played before others.

The easiest way to run the hub would be to have the off-shoot maps making things happen in the hub, so parts of the hub are sealed off behind key doors, or behind doors that can be opened by switches in the various maps.

The easiest way would be to do it like we almost did for another hexen collab project years ago, where all the maps were alternate worlds, and the hub was host to all the portals, and beating each map closed its respective portal.

47 minutes ago, Impie said:

The easiest way would be to do it like we almost did for another hexen collab project years ago, where all the maps were alternate worlds, and the hub was host to all the portals, and beating each map closed its respective portal.

Thats a good idea about the alternate worlds - more freedom for the mappers :)

I don't really like the closing off of portals though, sometimes its nice to be able to go back to a map and scrounge for health or ammo (or secrets). If we were really clever we could have switches on one map open up a section in another map...

Having ACS also allows us to display print messages to tell the player what they did and where.

Dayum this got released? Nice, how many maps or episodes does this have? I'll have to get on it when I do, appreciate more Heretic.