Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Heretic Upstart Mapping Project [RELEASED]

10 minutes ago, BeeWen said:

Thanks for the game, waiting for sequels. There is the idea to make a smaller number of enemies on this level. To complement the locations of the second map. Do I need to do?

A smaller number of enemies around the place I died might be a good idea - either that or provide more ammo and quartz flasks or mystic urns (or lots of health vials). I still have to try that map a few other ways, so it might just be the way I approached it that got me killed - there were several paths and I only chose 1.

Here's the demo for your other map (HS2_BWN.wad):

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vriciyl0gcri9h8/bwn.lmp

This map was nice, and a good amount of ammo. The minotaur fight seemed strange, as I had to fight him through the doorway. I would make the door higher so he can actually step outside and fight you. Also there are some non-vanilla textures in this map so If you want to include it in the project you should replace those :)

1 minute ago, Voltcom9 said:

future instalments of this project you should include UDMF

That's definitely the plan. The next heretic project (not sure if it will be HUMP2 or have some other name) will be UDMF or zdoom format, probably with the Baker's Legacy textures in addition to the vanilla Heretic textures.

Here's a few WIP shots of my map:

Spoiler

3qqqqhB.png

sGCQMwb.png

hKfODww.png

3 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

probably with the Baker's Legacy textures

I hate that pack and am sick of seeing it in every single Heretic project, personally.  It's like 85% horrid recolors, 10% rips from other games and maybe 5% actual good textures in there.

1 hour ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I hate that pack and am sick of seeing it in every single Heretic project, personally.  It's like 85% horrid recolors, 10% rips from other games and maybe 5% actual good textures in there.

Let's just use the medieval texture pack then :)

55 minutes ago, Cacowad said:

Or the blasphemer texture pack *wink wink*

The blasphemer textures are really quite nice!

@ETTiNGRiNDER @SOSU

I'm open to suggestions, I'm sure we can find something that people are happy with. The medieval texture pack seems ok, lots of heretic recolors, not that that's too bad of a thing. What about the Heretic II texture pack?

23 minutes ago, Impie said:

I finally managed to come up with a map idea that interested me enough to finish it. Still very much a WIP but it's kinda neat.

Download Link.

Really fun map with some great design. I enjoyed the "plains" like area and the two-tiered design of the inside areas.

Balance was very good, always had enough ammo and health.

I didn't make it to the end, but with some perseverance I'm sure I would have.

Here's a demo (you'll need to run it in zdoom 2.8.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/163rvf56uwzur5j/hdr.lmp

On vendredi 1 septembre 2017 at 5:30 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Offering a large variety of recolored textures was the entire point of that pack.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:30 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I wouldn't say it's *that* bad -- it's not as good as having a fully custom texture pack, but more to the point, it's the best option that's currently available for Heretic textures, aside from a few small resource selections like the Hymn textures or your CRUEL stuff, which are good for supplementing a larger pack but are tough to build a large mapset around. At least all the recolors make it easier to coordinate your overall color scheme.

9 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Really fun map with some great design. I enjoyed the "plains" like area and the two-tiered design of the inside areas.

Balance was very good, always had enough ammo and health.

I didn't make it to the end, but with some perseverance I'm sure I would have.

Here's a demo (you'll need to run it in zdoom 2.8.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/163rvf56uwzur5j/hdr.lmp

I played the demo in 2.8.1 and it still went out of sync, so I dunno how to get it to work. Thanks for the feedback though (what little I got to see before your first death anyway).

4 hours ago, Impie said:

I played the demo in 2.8.1 and it still went out of sync, so I dunno how to get it to work. Thanks for the feedback though (what little I got to see before your first death anyway).

Looks like the demo only went out of sync after I died, so I'll know to record a new demo after death :)

Looking back at the demo, there might be a bit too much health around - Might be worth getting rid of some of the crystal vials in the first indoor section on hard setting only.

Some tomes of power might be nice too - those are always handy and would help out against those maulotaurs

@Gez @Not Jabba

With regards to textures for the next project - Blasphemer and the medieval textures set from realm 667 look ok. Another option might be just including the Hexen textures for some variety (having bookshelves and more stone / grass / leaves textures is always nice).

A more crazy option might be to have textures from Realms of the Haunting or Blood...

Ideally I just want a few extra textures to spice things up, not megabytes and megabytes of textures that no one is going to use.

58 minutes ago, HexenMapper said:

Some tomes of power might be nice too - those are always handy and would help out against those maulotaurs

lol I think there's at least three on the map already, but I'll add another one if I find a good place for it. If you record another demo go ahead and post it.

I also think if future Heretic projects are to include additional texture sets, they should only include Hexen assets since they actually match and don't look like crap.

53 minutes ago, Impie said:

lol I think there's at least three on the map already, but I'll add another one if I find a good place for it. If you record another demo go ahead and post it.

ah yep I did find a few this time. Here's another, much longer demo. I found the yellow and green keys, but wasn't too sure where the blue key was, or what the 3 switches around the central pillar did...

Some very cool effects though - I assume some voodoo doll scripting was involved?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vydgddhs9lhf5on/hdr2.lmp

On 8/26/2017 at 8:20 PM, fabian said:

Hey guys, I am just here to tell you that Crispy Heretic (and Hexen and Strife) is still there and regularly synced with the (admittedly, sparse) commits to the Choco code base. It is just that Crispy Heretic/Hexen/Strife are not built and released anymore, because I haven't done any changes to them since the initial release (though, I have turned Heretic limit-removing at one point).

I have recently pushed a commit to GIT that makes it easier to build the three non-Doom games. In the Crispy source directory do

cd src
make -C heretic
make crispy-heretic

and you are done!

Not quite; you need to have run autogen.sh and you also need to make -C textscreen (and pcsound and opl...)

3 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

ah yep I did find a few this time. Here's another, much longer demo. I found the yellow and green keys, but wasn't too sure where the blue key was, or what the 3 switches around the central pillar did...

Some very cool effects though - I assume some voodoo doll scripting was involved?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vydgddhs9lhf5on/hdr2.lmp

Won't play with crispy-heretic:

W_GetNumForName: E9M9 not found!

And my zdoom segfaulted if I tried to play it with that.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Not quite; you need to have run autogen.sh and you also need to make -C textscreen (and pcsound and opl...)

Erm, yes, I meant "if you are already in a compiled Crispy Doom source tree". ;)

Also, for builds targetting Windows, you might have to call

make crispy-heretic.exe

Note the ".exe"!

4 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Oh aye. I've been using voodoo doll tricks for ages, often in lieu of acs for some crazy reason.

10 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

With regards to textures for the next project - Blasphemer and the medieval textures set from realm 667 look ok. Another option might be just including the Hexen textures for some variety (having bookshelves and more stone / grass / leaves textures is always nice).

Blasphemer does have a great texture set, though it's worth noting that it's largely a recreation of Heretic's stock textures (as well as some from Baker's Legacy and some from Quake or other sources) in a different art style to avoid copyright issues. If you're going to use Blasphemer, you might want to ditch the Heretic stock textures and use Blasphemer exclusively.

The Medieval Texture Pack essentially comes across as an alpha version of Baker's Legacy. It's basically just recolors -- many of them are also in Baker's Legacy, and the ones that aren't tend to be very garish; the versions in BL tend to be a little more tasteful.

Hexen textures do look good in Heretic, and the palette conversion is usually flawless. No arguments there.

In 2 maps by BeeWen and in map by Impie I see zero length REJECT lump. I would like to know - for what purposes is it necessary or any of the source ports it requires? Which map editor creates such map files? Zero length REJECT lump will be a problem for the original Heretic engine + limit removing, especially for demo recording/playback.

BeeWen, about an hour I tried to survive on the 'During the ceremony' and I succeeded. I like this map, thanks.

4 hours ago, Jon said:

With crispy-heretic,

R_FlatNumForName: CSTLRCK not found

I dunno what to tell ya. I don't use crispy-heretic, whatever that is.

3 hours ago, PVS said:

In 2 maps by BeeWen and in map by Impie I see zero length REJECT lump. I would like to know - for what purposes is it necessary or any of the source ports it requires? Which map editor creates such map files? Zero length REJECT lump will be a problem for the original Heretic engine + limit removing, especially for demo recording/playback.

BeeWen, about an hour I tried to survive on the 'During the ceremony' and I succeeded. I like this map, thanks.

That's got me curious too. I was using gzdoom builder, regular doom format for heretic. Seeing as it's just a marker, you should be able to delete it without causing any troubles.

3 hours ago, Impie said:

That's got me curious too. I was using gzdoom builder, regular doom format for heretic. Seeing as it's just a marker, you should be able to delete it without causing any troubles.

Are you sure? there are quite a few flats used as wall textures in your map... I don't think that's possible in standard doom format.

I open your wad in "Heretic : Heretic (Doom format)" in GZDoom Builder and quite a few wall textures are missing due to being flats.

2 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Are you sure? there are quite a few flats used as wall textures in your map... I don't think that's possible in standard doom format.

I open your wad in "Heretic : Heretic (Doom format)" in GZDoom Builder and quite a few wall textures are missing due to being flats.

Weird, it doesn't do that for me unless i load it in doom builder. I'll see if I can fix it.

EDIT: Download and check it again. I think I replaced all the wall-flats.

Edited by Impie