Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Your perfect FPS

6 minutes ago, Tracer said:

I hope his name is Bongo and that he wears a tuxedo.

Case in point. Talking before thinking. But don't worry, I'll spoonfeed you like the confused millenial baby you are.

46 minutes ago, wildweasel said:

The setup is classic Die Hard.

Go watch your classics before discussing them.

14 minutes ago, dew said:

Go watch your classics before discussing them.

I wasn't discussing Die Hard (that would be a silly thing for me to do since I have never seen it all the way through).  I was discussing the proposed FPS with wildweasel before you did what you usually do, which is interject in someone else's conversation with little more to offer except snide comments and rudeness.  

4 minutes ago, Tracer said:

I wasn't discussing Die Hard (that would be a silly thing for me to do since I have never seen it all the way through).  I was discussing the proposed FPS with wildweasel before you did what you usually do, which is interject in someone else's conversation with little more to offer except snide comments and rudeness.  

1 hour ago, wildweasel said:

The setup is classic Die Hard. You play the tired cop, visiting your significant other at work. You’re in the bathroom when terrorists take over the lavish office tower. Your job is to either kill all the terrorists, rescue all the hostages, or succeed in calling backup.

Weasel cannot possibly be referencing the movie any harder (pun unintended). He directly names the hero Bruce Willis plays in the movie. The hero rescues a skyscraper from terrorist kidnappers... starting barefooted in a restroom.

Stop crying foul when your utter ignorance gets exposed.

4 minutes ago, dew said:

Stop crying foul when your utter ignorance gets exposed.

Nobody's crying...but somebody is getting angry for no appearent reason....

just sayin...

I though we all knew already the superior FPS. How many times will I have to mention my profile? :/

15 minutes ago, Mordeth said:

Try curling your toes into fists and really ask yourself how much attention you want to draw to yourself.

This works.

6 hours ago, Jayextee said:

...DOOM 2016's gunplay into Mirror's Edge...

Ahh yessss... I'm glad I'm not alone.  I want a Doom 2 revenant to shoot a rocket, then the revenant follows up by crouching down and shooting a second rocket near and parallel to the ground level to trip you up: I dream of sprinting towards the revenant, sliding under the first rocket, transitioning into a Mirror's Edge style follow-up-jump over the top of the second floor rocket, then sticking the landing as my berserk fist pounds cleanly into the revenant's skull.

Mirror's Edge DOOM

You know what else I'd want with this idea in particular? Run up the bodies of non-attacking enemies and use them as ramps. Spring off the sides (as long as it's not the warhead, AKA the part that goes BOOM) of Cyberdemon rockets to get up to its head for cray damage. Slide between Mastermind legs and aim up into a surprisingly-soft belly. Wallrun-into-walljump-into-Archvile-jump and set stupid-good speedrun records. FUCK YES.

5 hours ago, wildweasel said:

*game idea*

That sounds nearly as exactly as this short mod for Half-Life that I played. It is called "Night at the Office", and you are put into the shoes of a simple office worker who is employed in this international postal service of sort. Eitherwho, the company building gets invaded by this group of terrorist who had seized most of the floors, and you indeed get to choose to either save yourself or save the others. Combat is realistic, although you can still dash around, that isn't neccesarily a smart thing. The atmosphere is quite tense, since the terrorists had pretty much hunted down almost everyone else and are hunting you out. You have to go from floors to floors, backtrack sometimes as well, to find a way to escape or put a end to it.

The only difference from your idea is that this mod doesn't have procedural level generation nor randomizing floors. It is pretty much heavily scripted to work this or that way. But your idea was eerily similar to the idea you proposed and oh god I am having flashbacks of the mod.

If anyone thinks of playing it, the mod can be found on moddb. Fair warning though, sound quality is all but quality. Takes a bit from the atmosphere, but still, a well thought out design.

Take the atmosphere and setting of Blood.

Take the combat of F.E.A.R.

Make it hard as fuck.

Put it in a nice modern engine.

STALKER : Call of Chernobyl rebuilt from the ground up with some of the better mods baked in (toggle able from the options menu) with a few of the cooler features from the Far Cry games and limited fast travel in the form of buy able a car with a driver and limited fuel. You could open your map tell your driver where to go (only they can navigate anomalies or something), but it would be limited to roads. You can store shit in the boot though.

DUSK But as a mod for Quake And Strafe but with less bugs and mostly hand-built levels. 

And Quiver *The original version of half life 1*

On 2017-08-22 at 3:28 PM, Jayextee said:

Put DOOM 2016's gunplay into Mirror's Edge; or at least something with that level of character dexterity. Except make it look like a synthwave YouTube video, and have it sound like an illegal warehouse rave in early '90s UK. Boom, done.

this is actually incredibly close to what i had envisioned myself, just that it would still have Mirror's Edge's clean artistic style, and some kind of modular weapon upgrade system. also, being able to leap much higher, so you can have firefights spread across several skyscrapers, and with different music.

I'd love to have something like Starsiege: Tribes with its crazy mobility and flexible loadouts, with Quake's visceral level of action and Doom's dynamic combat in a nicely done sandboxy open world setting. None of the Ubisoft open world colllectathon crap. Something more along the lines of how STALKER did it.

Doom is perfect already.

Yet I would love if it had a more deep or dramatic story.

I really love those depth storys, like Dead Space or Left 4 Dead. They are truly awesome.

I tend to think that the original Dooms, Hexen: Beyond Heretic and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim all have some of the right elements for me, but not all of them, so my ideal FPS would probably combine what I see as being the best elements of the three.  Probably a combination of Doom's gameplay, Hexen's atmosphere and exploration, and the modern engine capabilities and "granular" module-based modding/level editing of Skyrim. 

DOOM 2016 is along the right lines, but the wave-based monster combat, the checkpoint-only save system and the limitations of SnapMap hold it back from being my perfect FPS.

Doom mixed with Borderlands. 

I want the Doom graphics, textures, and combat with an XP system, loot progression, customization, achievements, and microtransactions! I want to be able to kill a horde of revenants and see some beautiful purple-glowing guns with crit multipliers and elemental damage. Make it multiplayer and allow people to hop from server to server like Zandronum, but keeping their stats, gear, cosmetics, etc. Playing Fortnite lately made me realize that this would be the coolest fucking thing ever. 

16 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Hmm, could be a good idea.

I mentioned trying to get a development team together a few years back, and people were giving me a bunch of reasons as to why that wouldn't work on the Doom engine. Things like not being able to have everyone on the server in different instances, cheating, etc. etc. So yeah, I never even bothered to think about it until now. Maybe someday...

Spoiler

However, have you ever played a survival/invasion with a server-full? Killing hordes of enemies PvE can definitely feel like an FPS dungeon, but you don't gain anything from it. There's no Exp or leveling system, very little customization, no loot, so you really don't have anything to play for unless you're trying to get the most kills in the level. Not saying there has to be roles when raiding (DPS, Tank, Healer, etc.), but just to incorporate the above list would add an interesting twist that I'm willing to experiment with. However, doing so will require regular maintenance, server(s), and a team of admins to watch over the entire project.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:17 AM, CARRiON said:

Take the atmosphere and setting of Blood.

Take the combat of F.E.A.R.

Make it hard as fuck.

Put it in a nice modern engine.

So Blood 3? :p