Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Strengths and Weaknesses In The End Times

In the event of a socioeconomic ending on a global scale, what would you consider to be your strengths and weaknesses?  Would you be a static establishment kind of person, or a mobile survivalist type?

I would try to build an encampment near a water source and fertile land.

My Strengths: I am knowledgeable in first aid, observant, strict, and strategic.  I would be best suited as some kind of defense coordinator or some security head for whatever group of people I was with.  I would (ideally) ensure that we had well trained and well armed patrols around the clock on our perimeter and a team to go out with our scavengers (these people would have strengths in hunting, trapping, or materials salvaging).  I would also look for holes in  our security measures to ensure the safety of our inhabitants.  We would do head checks in the morning and at night.  Newcomers would be welcomed if they had a skillset to offer, but closely observed for some time before they were trusted.  People with nothing to offer that is needed would be be allowed to bunk with us in exchange for resources.  If they had no resources to offer, they would be told to keep moving.  Children are an exception to this rule and would be allowed to join us as long as they were able to be taught a skill that is needed.

My weaknesses: I would not be good for farming or food gathering.  I have the opposite of a green thumb and have very little knowledge of plant identification when it comes to what is safe or poisonous.  I also would not be well suited for building structures.

Edited by Tracer

If it was only myself, I'd be well suited for a wandering lifestyle, but I have a family, so I'd have to settle in somewhere to take care of them.

To that end, I know how to repair and build a wide variety of things, I'm a decent gardener and hunter, I know how to care for livestock (including butchering animals for meat), etc. 

5 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

If it was only myself, I'd be well suited for a wandering lifestyle, but I have a family, so I'd have to settle in somewhere to take care of them.

To that end, I know how to repair and build a wide variety of things, I'm a decent gardener and hunter, I know how to care for livestock (including butchering animals for meat), etc. 

But what about wheat? How are you gonna eat bread?? ;)

21 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

You can join my team as a food provider.  I'll make sure you aren't killed by nomads or other clans.

I can fix vehicles so I see myself proving useful in restoration efforts of transport which would probably leave me a nomad.

I am a frail figure and have asthma however so I don't see myself living too long in high tension environments.

While I'm not wasting my life away with Doom. I buy a few non-working computers, and try to fix them up so I can sell them. I don't know if techie/computer knowledge would be needed in that certain time though...

Joshmon: Every clan needs a mechanically savvy member.  I'd take you in and offer my protection against larger framed individuals.

Czechmate: Probably not.  But someone who is computer savvy probably has other mental skillsets that could prove beneficial.  You know how computers think, which means you know how to separate emotions from decisions.  That is an invaluable asset in survival situations.

Finding a safe and potentially fertile place somewhere would be the first thing I'd do. Since I'm quite small, I can easily sustain myself with relatively small amounts of food, or even go without any food for a week or longer (I do that on occasion on a voluntary basis, so it's easy for me), what I need to begin with is water. Since I've quite a bit of knowledge about plants and herbs with medical properties in particular, I can easily identify and/or cultivate them, and I might also be able to "carry" several people with that knowledge, provided they can be arsed to do some simple labour once in a while, which I could easily teach. My knowledge about keeping people alive isn't that of a trained doctor, but what I can do goes well past first-aid.

That being said, I wouldn't reject anybody in search of help or company, because that's bullshit, but if I were to travel/live with other people in such a scenario, I would much prefer a smaller group of people to stay flexible just in case. I'm not the kind of person to be able to build larger and stable structures from scratch, but anything small I could come up with will usually keep people dry and warm enough in most cases, since I've seen enough of makeshift huts in my line of work so far.

If there was one weakness I might have in such a situation, it might be being too forgiving when people deliberately fuck things up for themselves or others.

You would have an important role in my clan based on your listed skillsets.  Your altruism toward outsiders and forgiveness for people who deliberately screw up, however, would be seen as a weakness and would have to be put in check.  Children are the exception to the rule when it comes to bringing in new people, as they can be trained now and utilized later, making them a great asset.

Honestly just exterminate the human race and be done with it, literally no reason not to.

d34.jpg

8 minutes ago, Tracer said:

You would have an important role in my clan based on your listed skillsets.  Your altruism toward outsiders and forgiveness for people who deliberately screw up, however, would be seen as a weakness and would have to be put in check.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't want to be part of a "clan" at any lengths. The underrated benefit of an "end of times" scenario is that you can/have to do things your way, which means that if you, or anybody else, would demand for me to change my ways at any point in time, I would leave them behind for good. Not to mention that I am aware of this potential weakness, meaning I would make sure to be able to compensate for shortcomings of that sort one way or another.

That's fine, haha.  The whole point of this thread was just to see what other people would do.  If you want to be an altruistic nomad, then be the best damned altruistic nomad you can be.

Me telling people that have an important role in my clan is just my way of saying that they are valuable.

The problem with a "clan" like the one you describe is that the more people you have living in an area, the harder it is to feed them all, no matter what skills they bring to the table. I think small groups of maybe 3-6 people would be far stronger, especially when they all possess food-acquiring skills of some form or fashion.

Strengths:

Well, I can shoot straight, but I don't have much experience hunting. I can work like the best of 'em, and I'm used to physical labor. I'm a mathematician/engineer, so designing/building could be fun. I know how to raise and butcher animals, I know a little about wild plants, and I know a little about raising crops -- I'd learn quickly if I hung around @Nine Inch Heels. I've always been very generous -- never minded sharing with people.

Weaknesses:

Not too good at following orders if I disagree with the course of action. I have a weak long-term memory, and am becoming increasingly nearsighted (glasses are probably several years away still).

I have lived and worked on the countryside, I know stuff about growing food. I also know how to "process" and "clean" goats, if not other animals as well. I have no qualms about killing animals, because human race is the master race.

I think my only weakness lies within asthma. I would probably raid a pharmacy first, take my drugs and then think about doing next.

I can provide prep talks, speeches, sermons, and in general boost morale, if not turn people to uphold a certain system of behavior. As a guy who almost became a priest (I quitted because I wanna be a father), I would know how to provide moral assistance for those who feel anxious and threatened. Strangely this never works online.

I do know a fair bit a lot about logistics. Squad tactics are not unfamiliar with me, and I bet I could guard a keep should the society turn medieval again (which they will).

In general, I know this and that, bits about everything. What I don't know, is sciency stuff. I know something about electronical and mechanical devices, but ask me how to replicate it and I am going to shrug. Microbiology and delicate sciences, I may only know of stuff everyone else knows. Basically a jack-of-trades, master of none, but better than master of one.

I guess if I plug into a group which seeks to grow in power and reclaim lost lands and become a new empire, I would be really fine and dandy.

If anyone is wondering how would the world look like after a collapse, look at the collapse of Roman Empire. Basically what happened after would happen again. It all makes sense. Only this time we would have advanced technology and would know what would kill a person back in the 7th century, but without resources and manpower and knowing where to invest each we are all toast.

2 hours ago, Tracer said:

You can join my team as a food provider.  I'll make sure you aren't killed by nomads or other clans.

Don't forget my maintenance experience, I'll bring my tools. :) I can shoot too.

Hmm... if the end times come, I'll likely think first and foremost about the safety of my wife and other immediate family.  Where I would head, how I would get there, and if I would stay put would really depend on the exact situation.

The good things are that I have quite a bit of first aid knowledge; I know how to start a fire without matches or the like; a pretty good handle on how things generally work mechanically (vague, I know); I'm very good at handling and shooting guns, surprisingly enough; I have a good amount of fishing knowledge; My strength is actually pretty good; I know how to sew; I've done I don't know how many decades of martial arts; and I have I don't know how many US military field manuals on hand and ready to use.  I'm also stubborn as hell, and that would likely play to my advantage.

Unfortunately my endurance isn't that good these days.  I'm also unwilling to say "No" in most cases due to my altruistic nature.  My asthma can be pretty bad if I'm not careful, and an apocalyptic event probably means that I won't have continued access to medication, which could be a big problem due to my anxiety issues.  Plus I can't grow plants to save my life (no pun intended).

Strength: I've been homeless and had to survive on my own anyway. I don't care for this first world anymore, possessions and the current capitalistic way of life is nothing more than a burden to me. I'd probably be happier knowing that money is dead and we're all finally in the same boat: worrying about survival instead of wasting time arguing and killing each other over stupid things. 

I can pretty much learn anything, like I can do basic gardening, and I know how to cook many things. I'm somewhat familiar with building fires using tinder, kindling, and "fuel wood". I almost always have a knife on me. I don't THINK I complain too much, I just try to be optimistic especially in a HELL scenario like that one. I'm a survivor because my whole life would have prepared me for this. 

Weakness: Not really in shape but I could probably get BACK into shape once the ish hits the fan, and I have PTSD but even so I have managed to keep calm in such intense situations.

I realize it's funny that I complain about capitalism yet use a device courtesy of capitalism to post this, but I'm literally on the edge of leaving my house and everything behind, and just hitch hiking somewhere, ANYWHERE but here. 

I can talk people into working together and reduce drama.

Ive watched a lot of walking dead, lost, the 100, etc. and that's always been the biggest obstacle. Save all the hunting, building engineering, medical, and anything else practical for someone else. 

Why do fat pasty white dudes have such a hard-on for post-apocalyptic scenarios? As if you wouldn't be some of the first people to be hunted for sport, have your asshole turned into a larger dude's plaything, or decapitated and thrown into the nearest river.

But sure, Martin Prince here is gonna try and co-ordinate humanity's restoration after the world has ended. Give me a fucking break.

First thing I'd do is try and steer clear of guys like this:

the-walking-dead-negan.jpg

5 hours ago, Tracer said:

I would be best suited as some kind of defense coordinator or some security head for whatever group of people I was with.

paulblartmallcop_wallpaper02_800x6002.jp

23 minutes ago, an_mutt said:

Why do fat pasty white dudes have such a hard-on for post-apocalyptic scenarios? As if you wouldn't be some of the first people to be hunted for sport, have your asshole turned into a larger dude's plaything, or decapitated and thrown into the nearest river.

It's only a hypothetical discussion, sheesh. 

But to answer your question, it's because the scenario has been glamorized across every type of media. I'd wager that many people fancy such an event to be cool, but if , for instance, the electrical grid failed for whatever reason and could not be restored, the world would become a violent, terrible place for quite some time. People would die by the hundreds of thousands, and then millions, every day.

Certainly not anything I'd like to experience, despite any skills that may help me survive.

1 minute ago, Megalyth said:

I'd wager that many people fancy such an event to be cool, but if , for instance, the electrical grid failed for whatever reason and could not be restored, the world would become a violent, terrible place for quite some time. People would die by the hundreds of thousands, and then millions, every day.

Eh, I think this is an overstatement. I'm usually pleasantly surprised when I hear about the casualties from any given disaster, 'cuz it seems that it should have been a lot more than that. People have an amazing tendency to survive hardships. Things will be the worst in cities, where rioting and looting will be unstoppable, but most of the globe is not cities.

15 minutes ago, Megalyth said:

It's only a hypothetical discussion, sheesh. 

For you and a few other people here, sure.

For the OP? It comes across as pathetic overly-considered wish fulfillment, with obnoxious baby's first survival-of-the-weakest philosophy thrown on top. Look at that first post and how seamlessly it shifts from harmless role-play (take your career skills and convert them to a post-apocalyptic setting) into creepy and callous power fantasy (if you can't contribute to my society then you die. If your children can't assimilate then they die). Yet another skeezy Tracer post. Put it in the fucking bin.

I don't think an_mutt has ever said something I 100% disagree with.

That being said, while I'm physically disabled, I have considered that my slight OCD tendencies and need for organization would make for a decent quartermaster.

I've got some auto mechanic experience, and I'm pretty good with machinery. I'm a CompSci major and have some computer/electrical engineering skills. I just don't know how far that's gonna get me in the case of an EMP :p 

I'm fucked for survival though. I couldn't tell you a damn thing about farming, irrigation, preserving food, etc. I've also got a terrible immune system so I'm one of the first ones getting the plague :( 

1 hour ago, an_mutt said:

S A V A G E R Y

A

V

A

G

E

R