Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

YouTube demonetizing classic FPS videos

Recommended Posts

Reports are starting to come in that YouTube is demonetizing all videos that contain any footage of classic FPS such as Doom and Duke 3D, or even display the titles or icons for those games.

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone specifically being targeted? Most of the ones that have been demonetized on my channel are those that have copyrighted music. 

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, it was more viable to do Patreon than depend on Youtube for ads anyways. Youtube's monetization has been getting worse and worse

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, YukiRaven said:

I saw on Twitter that both Pushing Up Roses and LGR were recently affected by this.

Yes, and the YT monetization was already shitty enough

Share this post


Link to post

That's oddly specific, maybe it has something to do with the... "graphic"... violence within them.

 

It'd make sense seeing as though there is a huge push to encourage more child friendly content, potentially having violent video games demonetized steadily one by one would help them creep it in easier.

Share this post


Link to post

these aren't the kind of violent games kids nowadays are likely to play, though. they'd be more likely to play the latest GTA or Call of Duty than they are to play the original Doom or Duke Nukem 3D.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

these aren't the kind of violent games kids nowadays are likely to play, though. they'd be more likely to play the latest GTA or Call of Duty than they are to play the original Doom or Duke Nukem 3D.

or Minecraft.......

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, YukiRaven said:

I saw on Twitter that both Pushing Up Roses and LGR were recently affected by this.

LGR is getting demonetized? what the hell?? i seriously cannot think of a single reason why thats a logical desicion...

Share this post


Link to post

I thought you meant FPS videos so old they were considered classic.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CzechMate29200 said:

YouTube is just bored it seems...theyre just demonetizing everything now for no reason at all...

I assume its because they've rarely broke even. Now its the 60 fps 4K / 1080p era. That stuff has to cost them space (and money) just to host it. Even if everything gets cheaper its growing. People just dump hours of unedited content on Youtube each day. If people are popular enough their videos get stolen and reuploaded.

 

Chances are advertisers don't feel that classic FPS players and watchers are what they want advertising them... or maybe the watchers are smart enough to use adblock or something.

 

Or Youtube / Goggle / Alphabet are just money grubbing jerks and need to build some air fortress to combat Amazon's air warehouse. I can only speculate.

 

If anyone is financially affected, there's always Patreon. Heck some people on Patreon don't have new content and people are willing to give. I'm looking at you Spoony and Zoe Quinn.

 

One Youtuber I watched just casually mentioned "with the recent surge in popularity I've had in the past 2 months I'm able to go full time... if it wasn't for the monetization change." As a dude with 4+ videos a day I'm not sure how he could go more full time.

Edited by geo

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, geo said:

One Youtuber I watched just casually mentioned "with the recent surge in popularity I've had in the past 2 months I'm able to go full time... if it wasn't for the monetization change." As a dude with 4+ videos a day I'm not sure how he could go more full time.

That's a serious consequence of the demonetization.....

As you said, there's Patreon to support you or simply get a job (I know it's hard or easy to get)

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

That's a serious consequence of the demonetization.....

As you said, there's Patreon to support you or simply get a job (I know it's hard or easy to get)

The funny part is he's been a Youtuber for 10 years and serious about it for 2, but he just caught fire a month or so ago. It took him so long and now that he's finally there the money is gone. Well he mentioned he was affected by Youtube cutting money last February or something. He said he didn't make much at all, but he was still affected.

 

Meanwhile I remember Pro Jared mentioning he wasn't affected, but maybe that's before this new "Adpocalypse" / Youtube crisis.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, geo said:

The funny part is he's been a Youtuber for 10 years and serious about it for 2, but he just caught fire a month or so ago. It took him so long and now that he's finally there the money is gone. Well he mentioned he was affected by Youtube cutting money last February or something. He said he didn't make much at all, but he was still affected.

Oh....I see and that totally suck. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, YukiRaven said:

I saw on Twitter that both Pushing Up Roses and LGR were recently affected by this.

LGR has a storage unit that he works out of and I think he mentioned he's taxed 30% which seems outrageously high for the US. That's a lot of overhead like how Classic Game Room used to have a storage unit... before moving to a damn warehouse.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh darn.  I can't make money off playing video games badly on the Internet.  I'm gonna actually have to get a real job.

 

Oh, wait.  I actually have one of those.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, silentzorah said:

Oh darn.  I can't make money off playing video games badly on the Internet.  I'm gonna actually have to get a real job.

 

Oh, wait.  I actually have one of those.

And I'll probably get one job too in the next month or two....yeah...

Share this post


Link to post

why this is happening in the first place is because the Wall Street Journal didn't get that what PewDiePie did on fiver as a joke, which that means WSJ can't take a single fracking joke...

5819290+_9e5cb5995634b0d5a7df32ef804163e

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, geo said:

Chances are advertisers don't feel that classic FPS players and watchers are what they want advertising them... or maybe the watchers are smart enough to use adblock or something.

 

Or Youtube / Goggle / Alphabet are just money grubbing jerks and need to build some air fortress to combat Amazon's air warehouse. I can only speculate.

This theory makes the complete opposite of sense. Remember that Youtube is dependent on ad revenue to actually make money in the first place, so they wouldn't willingly demonetize videos "just because" as that would do the exact opposite.

 

8 minutes ago, MrCacod3mon said:

why this is happening in the first place is because the Wall Street Journal didn't get that what PewDiePie did on fiver as a joke, which that means WSJ can't take a single fracking joke...

Doing things "as a joke" does not actually make them right.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Edward850 said:

This theory makes the complete opposite of sense. Remember that Youtube is dependent on ad revenue to actually make money in the first place, so they wouldn't willingly demonetize videos "just because" as that would do the exact opposite.

So is Youtube still getting money or both Youtube and the content creator are not getting any money?

 

I remember Jim Sterling said he didn't monetize his videos since he had Patreon but his videos still had ads.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, geo said:

So is Youtube still getting money or both Youtube and the content creator are not getting any money?

 

I remember Jim Sterling said he didn't monetize his videos since he had Patreon but his videos still had ads.

As I understand it (2nd hand information that might actually be out of date, but it still makes sense) the ad revenue is split between the uploader (or a claimant of content ID/copyright, typically through music) and Youtube. However a demonetized video basically means ads cannot be run on that video, either because no ad runner will run ads on its supposed content, or because the copyright owner doesn't want you claiming ad revenue for it (they have overriding rule for their copyright, essentially), and with no ads on the video Youtube have no revenue from that video either.

 

Jim Sterling's situation is he personally doesn't monetize videos, but he cannot stop copyright claims on music or content from running their own. He apparently has a method recently where he deadlocks conflicting copyright claims to prevent ads to run but this will have varying results depending on what he does.

Share this post


Link to post

Internet is still unstable place for job. I used to work in some pages for my gaming hobby and almost every page decided to not use playpal due to some changing rules after few months when I decided to join in them. I consider youtube like these pages, but more annoying. Yeah, I can play other games, but where's no warranty that those games won't get demonitized too after few years. That's unfair.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×