Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Have you ever stopped playing Doom and moved on to something else?

8 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

Thats cool, now calculate how many of those people cheated, and adjust your leaderboard score from there. I was kinda interested in the idea of working on those leaderboard scores, but after noticing how many people save edit on it, it really killed any desire for me to try and compete on it. 

I always forget about save editing, one of the big kickers about those is that Duke 3D's old XBLA leaderboard actually saved demos of the top 50 players and every single one was exactly the same.

It sucks that people abuse the old leaderboards, the DM demos were all boosters too.

For me, Doom is a bit of a constant, something I'll always come back to. I'll go off and play other games for awhile, or, as I get older, play no games at all for a bit. Eventually, however, I always find myself coming back to Doom. It's because the core game play is great fun with few others like it and there is a lot of quality custom content at our fingertips.

It is also a bit of a stress reliever when life gets annoying or I just need a break in general.

Doom.

Just when I thought I was out, it keeps pulling me back in!

Mods, Wads, Games and Community won't let me forget about Doom even if I wanted to. It's a good thing.

Oh I drift off and play plenty of other things. Currently I'm wildly obsessed with Total War: Warhammer. But I always, always come back to Doom.

I've been on a Bioware CRPG binge. Dragon Age: Origins, then Jade Empire, then KOTOR, now going for KOTOR 2.

Yeah, when I discovered sourceports and zdoom on 2007 I went through a craze over them, and naturally I got burnt out after 3 or 4 years. I still visited this placed and tried to make maps every now and then. I didn't move on to other games necessarily, just other hobbies. Recently I played through various classic doom wads and I realized what really made me like the game weren't some shiny features or some super-detailed stuff, so here I am again.

Doom is like smack. You'll think about the needle for the rest of your life, and like most junkies, you'll come back. 

It might not be today or tomorrow or even next year, but you'll come back.

You will always come back . . . . .

I was really into Doom deathmatch from 2004-2010 when I realized people still cared about the game. Doom was practically life back then and I haven't been anywhere near that level since. I bounce in and out. Every so often I feel the urge to start a map that I may never finish. At some point I got into cars and have one that is a huge time suck. Currently looking to purchasing another, because why not. I like the car hobby for real social interaction. Since I'm in the northeast the winter makes the car hobby go into hibernation so that's usually when I get the Doom itch.

I had a pretty big Darkest Dungeon kick recently where I literally was not playing anything else. Doom will always be waiting for me when I come back, though.

Most of my playing the game happens in bursts, usually during mod development cycles.  Once I've finished working on an update, I generally move away from the game for a while to play something else for, I dunno, a month or so.  Then I get some dumb idea for the mod I was working on, and go right back to it for about two or three months, while I'm modding.

Rinse and repeat.

At some point, I decided to play Duke Nukem 3D and liked it more than Doom until I finished the game. I remember even saying that Doom was garbage and Duke Nukem 3D was far better. I guess it was the effect of it being "new", but Doom's levels are more enjoyable to play over and over again. Doom is also more enjoyable in multiplayer.

All the time. It's impossible not do. I have been pretty much playing/modding Doom on and off for the past 10 years. Even longer if you count the shareware days.

Other than DOOM, I switch between games really frequently. Lately I've had a craving for racing so I've been playing Forza and also the DeadRising series (1,2 and 3. 4 never happened) because I felt like killing zombies too, I wish to find a game that will satisfy both those needs at once.

I always come back to Doom after a few months off. Currently, I've been back to playing nothing but Bloodborne, which is also one of my top games of all time. The Doom itch always comes back after a few weeks, though.

There are big periods of time I have stopped playing Doom, like months, then coming back to check something and getting hooked and want to re/play new or old maps. For no particular reason, rather than I don't have interest at those times, sometimes there are periods I am not gaming at all.

p.s. I don't remember to having been hooked to any other games. Maybe those times I replayed Borderlands. I can be hooked with one game till I finish the main story. Borderlands was fun to replay and get new loot. I have few hundred hours. Doom has replayability because of the familiarity I have with it and the thousands of levels. It's harder to start playing a new AAA game when I don't feel I have much time to dedicate installing and learning new mechanics. With Doom, I just like sometimes to fire up some random WAD and play for half an hour, even crappy ones and explore carefully another area, not knowing what this map designer have come out with.

Haven't really played Doom ever since I got my new PC (around 8 months ago)

Windows 10's inabillity to switch MIDI device without additional software or registry magic is quite a turnoff. 

Yes I did Duke Nukem 3D Half Life 1 then Counter-Strike 1.6

Although Doom & CS are the only games I consistently play on my PC to this day. And I just got back into Doom so as you can imagine a lot of Counter Strike.

I usually have a strange habit of ''coming back'' to old games, sometimes im just playing Killing Floor 2, get bored and just think: ''Hey, I should try Silent Hill 2 again.'' And then i get obsesed with the game for about 2 weeks and they, back again with some others. 

But Doom.

Doom is quite to much for me, fills all my desires, specially the musical and artistic ones.

Even mapping (wich is trully difficult) has call my attention. This game has to much to offer, everything can be changed with some modding knowledge.

So if I can say if I ever leave Doom. Well, that only happens when im out of town.

UT, DOOM, C&C, TES, LOL, MINECRAFT, L4D2, CS. This are the game I will probably, have in my heart all my life. 

Haha, I've played very little Doom in the past six months or so. I've been playing Overwatch and osu! instead.

I sort of have this cycle where I play Doom for an indefinite period of time, get a wad/mod idea, start working on that, feel my motivation dropping almost to 0, quit for an indefinite amount of time, come back after said period and go back to working on the thing. Rinse and repeat.

It's pretty annoying, but there's only so much I can do about it. I'm an indecisive fuck by nature.

Are we sure KOTOR 2 was released in 2004? Because the whole Onderon subplot feels strange when played in 2017.

To summarize: in the middle part of the game, you need to solve subplots on four planets, one of which is Onderon. On that world, political instability is very high and civil war looms. The "light side" faction just wants to just keep up with the status quo; but the "dark side" faction wants to "Make Onderon Strong Again" (actual slogan from the game) and break away from the Galactic Republic because they feel they give more than they receive and mock it as a monster of bureaucratic inefficiency. Basically Brexit + Trump in spaaaace and with more lightsaber fights.