Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Your Top 5 Horror Movies

5 minutes ago, Red said:

Alien 1 five times 

I think of Alien as more of a science fiction movie than a horror movie, but if you were to count it as a horror movie, then this would be my answer. Ridley Scott's finest work. 

Don't have 5 favorite but The Conjuring 1 & 2 are my favorite, really recommend to give a try.

1. Friday the 13th (inventive kill simulator)

2. Halloween (excellent theme with a very nice story and Donald Pleasence steals the show as Dr. Loomis)

3. Bram Stoker's Dracula (not that much horror, but I still like it a lot)

4. Nightmare on Elm Street (haven't seen much of this series, but from the first movie and only, I had tons of fun watching)

5. The Omen (that movie is really creepy and it nailed the atmosphere)

I haven't seen that many horror movies, to be honest. I occasionally saw a movie with my friends, like Insidious 3 or something, but I don't think those movies are in my favourites.

God, I watch so many that I don't know if I can even think about them clearly enough to pick out favorites.  But I'll try, so in no particular order:

1. The Amityville Horror (the original one)
  2. The Thing
  3. Alien
  4. Sinister
  5. The Babadook

Of those, Sinister probably disturbs me the most.

inb4 Event Horizon

Kidding, of course, it's one of my favorites.

Most of my favorites are already mentioned. The Babadook was creepy, Sinister was just straight-up disturbing. I suppose Silent Hill ranks up there, I still love the movie and it's still the best video game-to-movie adaptation yet IMO. 

I haven't seen a huge number, but my ideal horror movie is generally something classic like Suspiria or Dawn/Day of the Dead: well made enough to be really suspenseful, but a little too cheesy with the effects to be truly scary. I like the slow simmer, not the jump scare.

Also Pontypool just because it's so nuts.

Just now, Veinen said:

The Descent

Oh god, I forgot about The Descent... It creeps me the hell out to the point that I almost can't watch it, mostly due to the cramped spaces it takes place in.

TOO MANY!!!CAN'T CHOOSE!!!SOSU MACHINE DOES'NT RESPOND!!! ....................................................

(Evil Dead

Alien

All the old dracula movies

other old crap...)

Why couldn't it be love stories?

The People Under The Stairs
Hellraiser
Gremlins
Ernest Scared Stupid
A Nightmare on Elm Street

On an kind of related note, "Heathers" is on Youtube. 

Martyrs, Tusk, Lake Mungo, August Underground's Mordum, Day of the Dead.

This is the weirdest mix of films I've ever contemplated.

im not a big horror fan but ill chime in, no particular order (and i couldnt get rid of one of these >.< )

films that stay with me/are my favourite arent shockers, more like psychological/unnerving ones:

Dark Water https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Water_(2002_film)

The Descent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Descent

Ring https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(film)

Martyrs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrs_(2008_film)

The Eye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_(2002_film)

Ju-On: The Grudge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-On:_The_Grudge

Audition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audition_(1999_film)

Funny Games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Games_(1997_film)

Edited by rehelekretep : added Audition & Funny Games

Not a single mention of "Psycho" yet.  Really surprising...

The most frightening thing about that movie is there are plenty of people in this world like Norman Bates, but you'd never know it, judging by appearances.

John Carpenter's The Thing

Creepshow

The Blob (Steve McQueen)

Gremlins

Night of the Living Dead

Runners Up:

The Resurrected, supposedly the only proper Lovecraft adaptation. Haven't seen the whole thing yet, but I want to badly.

The Night Flier, a great Stephen King adaptation.

Salem's Lot (TV Miniseries), another great King adaptation, back when vampires were actually scary.

In no particular order:

John Carpenter's The Thing(1982)

It(1990)

Event Horizon(1997)

Killer Klowns from Outer Space(1988)

Hellbound: Hellrasier II(1988)

Devil(2010)

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday(1993)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose(2005)

The Devil's Rejects(2005)

Army of Darkness(1992)

HOW HAS NOBODY SAID THE SHINING YET?

The Shining

Noroi (The Curse)

Antichrist (2009) 

[REC] (2007)

30 Days Of Night

The Thing (1982)

Day Of The Dead

VHS 1 & 2

Hellraiser 1/2/3/5

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil

Evil Dead 2/Army Of Darkness

SAW II/III/IV

Edited by Neurosis

1. Hellraiser - I find the subject matter dealt with in this utterly fascinating. The book is great too!

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street - The concept of Freddy freaks me the fuck out.

3. The Thing - This film turned me into a gorehound.

4. Halloween 2 - I like the first, but this one is the explosive finale to Michael Myers. Halloween ended here.

5. Jacob's Ladder - One of the best psychological horror films I have ever seen. The ending haunted me well after the film ended.

An honorable mention goes to Alien. One of the best sci-fi horror films, ever. What would we do without our beloved space roach?! I even have a ring that's a tiny xeno wrapping around your finger! :D

Scream
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Thing
Alien
Hellraiser
Hellbound: Hellraiser II
Halloween
Halloween II
Event Horizon
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
The Shining
Jacob's Ladder

I like too many horror films. I would've said Saw but I consider it more of a psychological thriller like Se7en, and while I love The Devil's Rejects it personally doesn't scare me, in fact that's one of my 'feel-good' movies as I laugh more than I get spooked. I also love Aliens and Alien 3 (Assembly Cut) but the former's more of an action movie and the latter is obviously not as scary as the first.

22 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

The Shining

Every time I try to watch this, I fall asleep from boredom.  Steven King movies just don't scare me much *shrugs*

Except The Mist, that one was good.

8 minutes ago, YukiRaven said:

Steven King movies just don't scare me much

Because Steve King, sorry, but he sucks (unpopular opinion)

but he had nothing to do with it, it's all Kubrick and Kubrick is amazing and can do no wrong. But maybe I'm used to sitting through his movies which are bit more of a slow burn (like 2001: A Space Odyssey with the infamous 15 minutes of darkness and dramatic brass instruments) and I know I'm biased toward him. Plus they filmed it in my home state of Colorado so bonus points.

11 minutes ago, TFK said:

Who else hated the Human Centipede series?

The second one was actually pretty good. I mean it wasn't perfect or even something I'd probably go back and watch again, but it was the best of the trilogy. One and Three are a complete waste of time tho.

34 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

But maybe I'm used to sitting through his movies which are bit more of a slow burn (like 2001: A Space Odyssey with the infamous 15 minutes of darkness and dramatic brass instruments) and I know I'm biased toward him. Plus they filmed it in my home state of Colorado so bonus points.

Well I love 2001, and I'm a Colorado native myself.  I think it's just that I plain don't like that movie, heh.