Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Your Top 5 Horror Movies

On 8/25/2017 at 10:25 AM, YukiRaven said:

Well I love 2001, and I'm a Colorado native myself.  I think it's just that I plain don't like that movie, heh.

Lol I feel the opposite, I can watch the shining but 2001 makes me want to punch the screen.

I forgot to mention but The Mothman Prophecies and Marebito are also excellent horror films that prove you don't need copious amounts of gore to be scary, they're very eerie and make you feel unsafe when viewing them and even after they're over. Those are the hallmarks of a good horror film if you ask me.

1) Alien

2) The Thing

3) The Exorcist

4) The Shinning

5) The Blair Witch

Bonus: Aliens, not that scary, but the First Contact scene, outstanding.

In The Mouth of Madness is also great, I didn't list it because I considered it more funny than scary but it is a good horror film, and with a great ending.

The Thing

Army of Darkness

Event Horizon

Tetsuo (not sure if a "proper" horror movie)

The Strangers (one of the very few films that made me feel uncomfortable)

Bonus:

The Fourth Kind (I know it's a kinda mediocre movie, but I really like the found footage/mockumentary stylistics mixed with UFO... both my guilty pleasures)

Difficult question as there are so many good ones.

But I'll try.

In no particular order except the first one:

Alien

Jacob's Ladder

It Follows

Session 9

Night of the Living Dead

1. John Carpenter's The Thing

2. The Fly

3. Dawn of the Dead

4. Hellraiser

5. Alien

My list in no particular order..

1) Mirrors

2) Oculus

3) The Exorcist

4) The Conjuring series

5) Insidious

Sinister is also worth mentioning...

If anyone hasn't seen it, I can highly recommend The Orphanage.

poster-orphanage.jpg

Guillermo Del Toro produced it.  It's a classic old-school haunted house story, and creates an absolutely wonderful sense of atmosphere and dread with basically no jumpscares at all.

1.- The Shining

2.- The Thing

3.- Alien

4.- Nightmare on elm street

5.- Dawn of the dead

I have an old school taste for horror movies, i tend to dislike horror movies from this decade (and specially from the previous decade). But i have high hopes for 'It'

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Nothing beats the original slasher. The cinematography is amazing, and the entire thing just drips of gruelling atmosphere and terror. Just imagine the impact it must have had when it was first released in the early seventies... RIP Toby Hooper.

2. Misery
I know people view this as a thriller, but since this is Stephen King I think it's fair to put it on here. It's one of the most intense horror thrillers I've ever seen, and the actress playing the antagonist is absolutely amazing and terrifying.

3. Evil Dead 2
The first Evil Dead was good but a little primitive, and the third movie Army of Darkness feels more like a fantasy comedy. Evil Dead 2 however, strikes the perfect balance between comedic insanity and horror. It's like a beautiful horrific fever-dream.

4. Hellraiser (the first one)
I feel like whenever people mention Hellraiser, too often we think of an all-out gore-fest, even though the first movie actually has a rather sophisticated story to it. It's an interesting film that depicts a romance going too far, and the special effects are pretty amazing.

5. Event Horizon
I know this might sound like a cheap movie to put on a top 5 list, but I have to put it on here because of the sheer impact it had on me when I first watched it on VHS all these years ago. It's not a "good" movie by any means, but the atmosphere truly gets under your skin in a way that a lot of horror movies can't.

Honorable mention goes to The Shining, which is probably my favourite Kubrick film. I know this is going to sound controversial, but I'm not a big fan of Kubrick's stuff. I think they're too drawn out, and let's face it: kind of pretentious. The Shining however, is great at building an atmosphere and all of the tension between the main cast gets released in a classic finale that I'm pretty sure everybody know by now.

It's weirding me out how little love It Follows is getting in this thread. Very few horror movies from the last decade interest me; It Follows is a breath of fresh air.

(It helps that it's deliberately aping older eras of film)

2 hours ago, rehelekretep said:

Hellraiser is great - very influential and I've only seen it twice and it sticks in my mind to this day.

I enjoy Clive Barker's stuff in general. You should also watch The Midnight Meat Train if you haven't already. It's based on a short story by him, and it's a great adaption.

We have a member called HorrorMovieGuy or something like that. This thread is way up his alley. Where is he?

15 hours ago, dethtoll said:

It's weirding me out how little love It Follows is getting in this thread. Very few horror movies from the last decade interest me; It Follows is a breath of fresh air.

(It helps that it's deliberately aping older eras of film)

This is a film that I've just heard about recently and I've been meaning to check out. The premise sounds pretty unique.

10 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

This is a film that I've just heard about recently and I've been meaning to check out. The premise sounds pretty unique.

I've watched it some time ago, and it didn't really phase me to be honest. I understand why people think the premise is creepy, but it just didn't do that much for me beyond that.

When a horror movie reaches a point where I'm starting to look at the clock on my wall, then perhaps it has some pacing issues. That's just my two cents though.

I'm not a horror fan but, movies that made me uncomfortable in the dark afterward:

Candyman

Signs

The Keep (granted I was 6 when I last saw it)

Exorcist

Also that fucking clown in the Spawn animated movies

Of course I fucking forgot Candyman, that film is genuinely creepy, and I love Clown/The Violator in the animated Spawn series.

Every day of October, leading up to Halloween, I watch 31 horror movies in honor of the season. This years lineup:

This might be cathartic.

1. Evil Dead 2

2. The Shining

3. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning. I realize most people hate the movie, but R. Lee Ermey's performance was outstanding in the movie, and it hit the nail on the head when it came to fucked up midwestern living. It was fucking scary how close the people in the movie acted to living human beings I've known. It wasn't a documentary, but it was close.

4. Hellraiser

5. Hellraiser 2

I don't mind the '03 remake and '06 prequel, it was when 'Texas Chainsaw 3D' came out in 2013 or whatever that I realized mainstream horror was truly dead. Talk about fucking over a potential trilogy.