Freelook: Optional

Jumping: No

Rendering mode: Any

IWAD:

doom2.wad (DOOM 2)

How to start:

The maps can be easily reached through the episode select screen

Info:

This is my first WAD, It contains 3 maps they may be of heavy varying quality for example when I started the first map I didn't know how to make a door by the time I finished the third map I could do scripting and a lot of other things. Don't expect the worlds most amazing wad but I had fun making it and play testing it was also fun. I'd really love some feedback.

I'll still update this WAD sometimes with fixes in case something is broke.

I'm gonna make a new WAD.

Custom Textures: Yes

Custom Mobs: Yes

Suggested Mods to play it with:

(Completely Optional)

Brutal DOOM

Beautiful DOOM

Extra Credits:
ZombieFodder Enemy: http://realm667.com/index.php/en/beastiary-mainmenu-136-69621/doom-style-mainmenu-105-73113/1927-zombie-fodder#credits

FemaleScientist Enemy: http://realm667.com/index.php/en/downloads/beastiary/688-female-scientist

Agaures Enemy: http://realm667.com/index.php/en/downloads/beastiary/316-agaures

Download:

Link 1 (My Site): http://synndra.net/wad/Newmaker_Rev1.2.wad
Link 2 (OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq2jcj6L1_5jg5JN25j8ZI6AExwVzQ

Link 3 (Download all versions): https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aq2jcj6L1_5jg5JMT6NPxGQCnwEBZA

Changelog (OneDrive): https://1drv.ms/t/s!Aq2jcj6L1_5jg490GP9Yrgxcra5gHg

Screenshot_Doom_20170825_194514.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170825_194532.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170825_194631.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170825_194705.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170825_194739.png

Edited by Synndra : New version!

bad screenshots to be honest, i can't see much. don't forget about freeze mode while taking screenshots

1 minute ago, Mr. Trotl said:

bad screenshots to be honest, i can't see much. don't forget about freeze mode

I'll try to capture some better ones later, cheers for the feedback.

Okay, quick feedback time (AKA a bullet list of random thoughts)!

• The maps are very basic in regards to the layout: a bunch rooms connected with doors. MAP02 adds some hallways to the mix, but that's about it. You should think about connecting areas in other ways, and perhaps adding some larger outdoor areas.
  • New monsters are introduced gradually and used appropriately.
  • You are being far too generous with health, ammo, and armor.
  • Your maps are very flat. Adding height variation around can really help make it more engaging.
  • The maps generally need a bit more detail and variation (but MAP03 wasn't too bad in this aspect).
  • MAP01
    • The pictures on the wall are odd, but I kinda like them.
    • There's nothing notable on the map, no focal point or standout encounter. This makes the map rather forgettable.
  • MAP02
    • I managed to get 1/0 secrets here. Don't know how that happened!
    • There are several pits in MAP02 that trap the player while the slime deals very, very little damage. I would recommend adding an escape route.
  • MAP03
    • MAP03 was my favorite of the set, and was fun to play.
    • I liked the room with all the chaingunners (in the southwest corner), but I got stuck in a small pit in the same room. :(
    • The last bit on MAP03 was awesome, but it was kinda hard to see the arch-vile in the distance.
    • "You feel like this switch did something"... well yeah, switches generally do things. :)

so I played it and I kinda like it. There are lotsa cool ideas, especially this exit area on the first map. This black hole with the exit sign was funny. Custom monsters were fun, though I am almost sure you are not an author of them. Unfortunately, scripts didn't work for me. I played it on the newest version of zandorum. Idk, maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Please, don't use so much grey brick texture, as you did on the first map. This is the worst looking texture ever made and should never be overused, like it was on that map. Also, there is a better texture for a carpet in doom2 wad, than the one you used.  

Edited by Chamelenoel

@Surreily

Thanks this is amazing feedback. This is the kind of feedback I wanted honestly thanks a ton. You've inspired me to work on my mapping further and I'm glad you liked MAP03 I put the most time into that one.

Edited by Synndra

I think its a nice map although some things could be better, like for example.

MAP01 doesn't have much height variation 

MAP02 Its dark and only uses the same brightness all the level, also where the player starts, the Skybox is at the same Height of the ceilling, this makes the Ceilling look like paper thin, i suggest upping the skybox a little bit

MAP03 suffers the same problem of darkness in the final area.

Overall its a nice map and i did enjoy playing through it

41 minutes ago, stasiowygrzybek said:

so I played it and I kinda like it. There are lotsa cool ideas, especially this exit area on the first map. This black hole with the exit sign was funny. Custom monsters were fun, though I am almost sure you are not an author of them. Unfortunately, scripts didn't work for me. I played it on the newest version of zandorum. Idk, maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Please, don't use so much grey brick texture, as you did on the first map. This is the worst looking texture ever made and should never be overused, like it was on that map. Also, there is a better texture for a carpet in doom2 wad, than you the one used.  

Hrm yeah the grey brick does look a little odd. Also yeah I credited the authors of those monsters in the post.

Surreily got to a lot of the things I was going to say. 

I was really skeptical of this line in the OP: 'It contains 3 maps they may be of heavy varying quality for example when I started the first map I didn't know how to make a door by the time I finished the third map I could do scripting and a lot of other things.' I'd say there's a definite improvement in later maps -- map03 is a cut above the rest -- but it's not because of scripting or custom monsters or any of the fancy features such as colored lighting. I'd even argue that those elements were (slightly) detrimental, at least for my tastes. map03 was better because the core gameplay was more enjoyable: it's a SSG slugfest that the player can play at a relatively fast pace if they are so inclined, and it also features some of the first areas in the mapset that aren't boxy corridors. The outdoor areas you made were pretty suitable for serviceable action -- monsters of various types coming at the player from various angles. As far as design goes, I'd suggest focusing more on the shapes of your areas, as well as their architecture. Supplementary advanced (G)ZDoom features are like spices; sure, they can make a map better, but only as much as you have something to work with in the first place. 

On the custom monsters, I enjoyed the one that fired a split red beam, but the rest were more iffy. The female scientist is a slow melee monster that never got a hit off. These monsters felt similarly harmless (in fact in that shot of map02, they can't even get over the steps to get to me). It felt somewhat strange that the Wolfenstein dogs were even in the set, but monsters that look like this shouldn't take 3 perfectly placed SSG shots to kill (4 or 5 shots in practice, because their hitboxes are so small). I think in general custom monsters that are quite small will feel strange if they have lots and lots of HP. :P

@rdwpa

Thanks a ton for the feedback, I'll probably take a look at those dogs they are a little too tough.

I might work on the first two maps more soon I honestly learned a lot more about pasing between the making of map02 and map03 

Edited by Synndra

@Synndra If you want to make sure the people you want to respond to notice that you adress them, don't quote the entire comment and leave it unedited. Either use the @"username" feature, or mark a part of another person's text like you would do in "word" or whatever, and wait for that small "quote this" to show up and click that.

If, for some reason, clicking just the quote button is easier, at least afford us the courtesy of cutting some of the text you quote to make sure threads don't turn into walls of text, or walls of screenshots, for that matter.

@Synndra Your maps are fun, and I can see you're very new. But I can also see that you are a VERY fast learner. I suggest you take a look at the original doom and doom 2 maps, not just the layout and flow but how each map is made unique. Think of ways you can add staircases and such to higher floors, or make multiple ways into a room

You're making fantastic progress, please do keep it up! We need more mappers!

Downloaded, but I'm going to have to play through these later today.  Need to run errands first.  The screenshots posted so far remind me of 95-ish Doom wads, which isn't a bad thing since a lot of those bring me some nice warm, fuzzy nostalgia.  So I'm looking forward to this!

@Phade102 Thank you very much, I hope to become a pretty decent mapper I've always been fond of DOOM Mods my end goal is to make a TC someday and make my own unique game via DOOM.Kinda like the adventures of square (I think it's called that).

@Nine Inch Heels Of course I can recommend them. Synndra's map design is flat, but shows promise. The iwads are a perfect example of playing with heights. Why would you force someone into something like sunlust levels of map design, when the iwads are a good next step?

Just now, Phade102 said:

Why would you force someone into something like sunlust levels of map design, when the iwads are a good next step?

I am not talking about SunLust, you do. Plus, there's stuff like Valiant out Ancient aliens out there, which clearly is superior to iWADs in terms of creativity. Of course you can recommend outdated stuff from way back when, I'm not saying you can't I am saying you shouldn't because it's barely any help at all.

I dunno, I still find inspiration from IWADs and the original levels of Quake.  What you draw inspiration from doesn't have to be creatively superior, especially since inspiration doesn't have to imply a reproduction or building upon of ideas.  The important part is getting the juices flowing, and sometimes that means looking at original stuff and being like "that didn't work, here's how I'd do better."  Other times, I think original work can show a distillation of certain ideas better.

2 minutes ago, Xyzzy01 said:

The lesson to take from this is: Map however you want.

THIS

1 hour ago, Synndra said:

@Phade102 Thank you very much, I hope to become a pretty decent mapper I've always been fond of DOOM Mods my end goal is to make a TC someday and make my own unique game via DOOM.Kinda like the adventures of square (I think it's called that).

@Synndra Time = experience, you will be able to do this for sure. Just don't give up only because of few idiots

Edited by Mr. Trotl

I think I've decided that I'm going to be adding more levels to this wad to give it 9.

This feedback has really inspired me, I have to say regardless of the debate going on here at the moment you guys are fantastic this has really inspired me to do more level design in general.

I'm honestly so pleased most communities online would have just said "lol its bad m8" or "lel not even good" but you guys have picked it apart and gave me real feedback and that's damn awesome, thanks again^^.

I've made Minecraft mods in the past (for the hell of it and to learn Java) and the feedback on that is usually so bad I'd like to smash my head into the nearest wall.

Just now, Synndra said:

I think I've decided that I'm going to be adding more levels to this wad to give it 9.

This feedback has really inspired me, I have to say regardless of the debate going on here at the moment you guys are fantastic this has really inspired me to do more level design in general.

If you ever need technical help with ZDoom, or someone to test out the maps, I'd be willing to help.

@Nine Inch Heels I'm not saying dont look at valiant and such. But thats a huge jump and I find rushing into things like that can be difficult. the iwads will help Synndra learn how to use different heights and set up traps and such.

This reminds me of how some people were saying that No Rest For The Living is shit compared to community work. Well, it was an interesting experience. It was made by outsiders unaffected by the community's tropes and guidelines copied and reused 1000 times.

Going back to IWADs can similarly be interesting, maybe even more so, because that's when it all started. People didn't really know what they were doing back then, so they tried all kinds of stuff. A lot of times it didn't work, but people working on Doom itself were obviously talented enough to make it sorta work most of the time.

I'm replaying IWADs right now, and they feel surprisingly refreshing at times. Even the looks are pretty good. Although there's no denying that there are enough of uhhhh aesthetically challenging spots. Not because of the detail level, but rather because not every mapper had a chance (or cared enough) to polish their work to perfection.

5 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

This reminds me of how some people were saying that No Rest For The Living is shit compared to community work.

who said these words

i'm gonna punch em in the frickin eyeballs