Do you think the Doom Slayer is the same protagonist from the last games?

My theory is that Doom 3 happens at the same time as Doom 1 so the Doom 3 guy is a different marine.

1 person likes this

I've mentioned this before, but I consider all id Software IPs to be part of a multiverse in which any element of any nested universe can intersect with any element of any other nested universe. Each Doom game, even Doom 64 and our countless mods, are part of this multiverse. Each game contains its own version of the Doom Guy, but they all derive from the original which derives from id who are the god creators of the id multiverse. That might be a bit high concept for a damn video game franchise, but to me it helps explain the context of each protagonist without having to get into canon or chronology.

35 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I've mentioned this before, but I consider all id Software IPs to be part of a multiverse in which any element of any nested universe can intersect with any element of any other nested universe. Each Doom game, even Doom 64 and our countless mods, are part of this multiverse. Each game contains its own version of the Doom Guy, but they all derive from the original which derives from id who are the god creators of the id multiverse. That might be a bit high concept for a damn video game franchise, but to me it helps explain the context of each protagonist without having to get into canon or chronology.

I don't think anyone wants to canonize nuts.wad

2 people like this

I'm of the mind that OG Doomguy stayed in Hell keeping things under control for many, many years after the end of Doom64 and transformed into a sort of demigod (The Doomslayer) after all that time. Seeing as his "death" at the end of E1 hardly even phased him, I think it's safe to assume he was never a mere mortal to begin with, but after all the bullshit he's had to deal with it's become more and more clear over time that he is basically the appointed savior and protector of humanity itself. He literally takes the role as Hell's gatekeeper by choice. There is clearly something divine, or at least well beyond human when it comes to Doomguy.

All the WADs that have been released basically fill the gap between the end of Doom64 and the start of Doom 2016, it seems they designed the game to specifically canonize all WADs this way. They allowed the community to fill in the "what was it like for Doomguy while he was Hell's gatekeeper" chapter, essentially.

There are a few Doom games where you don't play as Doomguy, namely Doom3 and Resurrection of Evil. Those games simply seem to be from the perspective of two totally different, totally non-divine humans who just happen to exist in the same universe as Doomguy and have to deal with some of the bullshit that came as a result of the UAC's obsession with interdimensional travel and whatnot. Both protagonists in the 2 chapters of Doom3 are excellent soldiers of course, but other than being marines, they don't seem to have much in common and certainly don't seem to have anything to do with OG Doomguy directly. Their speed and strength seem minuscule by comparison as well, further evidence that they are normal mortals and Doomguy is something beyond that.

That's just my take on it but it all seems to come together nicely when you consider all the little clues and story cues and whatnot present in every game. After adding it all up, this is the picture it painted for me personally.

Edited by Doomkid
2 people like this

6 hours ago, Yhe1 said:

I don't think anyone wants to canonize nuts.wad

Well sure, and I'm in no rush to canonize impse either, but I still consider all of it to be part of the Doom/Doom 2 universe. Not necessarily crafted specifically by the id gods, but rather, us, who are the demigods from which mods spawn.

1 person likes this

Doom 3 never happened as far as I'm concerned, it's a generic shooter with Hell Knights. Funny how they shitcanned Tom Hall then made his game anyway.

New Doom took the best features of Doom 2 and Doom 3 and merged them. It improved in every possible way on what Doom 3 tried to do visually. It also retained the thrilling run and gun action of Doom 2. It seemed rather obvious that the references to a Slayer are references to the original Doom Marine, and the only confusion I can see comes from how they describe him, as they make a holy war out of what was basically one man looking for his keys.

Doom 1, 2, 64 and 2016 take place in the same timeline. But since as we all know, time and space means nothing in the warp, I also believe that

On 8/27/2017 at 3:01 PM, MrGlide said:

the thousands of years of Doom Slayer killing demons are the idgames archives.

Edited by Red
1 person likes this