Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Insomniak

Low gravity server?

Yeah so I was playing MAP15 yesterday with gravity set realy low, and I thought

how come there are no low gravity servers?

just allow jumping, set the gravity low, and use a good dm wad with big, tall, open spaces.

BTW if this idea was posted before, i apologize.

Insomniac said:

BTW if this idea was posted before, i apologize.

It was, a couple of months ago, but I think it should be posted at least once a week until someone who often runs servers, like Biffy or Lyfe (hint hint) listens to it.

Problem is Biffy's always saying about the teamplay and coop servers he runs, but I never see them because I'm never online at the right times, and I haven't played Doom much lately.

OK, I hear you. I'll get it set up Monday or Tuesday. The low grav stuff is great fun for a change of pace, I'll put up my remake of the dwango4 boat which has the variable gravity over the ocean. CSboat2.zip on rarefiles.tripod.com.

Also, I'll pick one like dwango5 map18 (shotgun arena I'm trying to recall) and set the gravity to about 1/8 normal. :) Or, you suggest.

:)

Cool, I never realised you made csboat2.wad and zboat2.wad. I have zb2 and I used to DM with my sister on it all the time, it's probably my favourite DM wad. I'll have to download the csDoom version in a minute then. Hey, I just thought, now I can share my net connection between my two computers, me and my sister can DM online at the same time. Can't wait to find out how high my ping is when I do that, I didn't bother trying it yesterday in the end. And thanks for the tweaking sites fod, I've looked through the first one and done everything it said, later I'll find out if it's improved my ping in ZDaemon.

For csdoom, and Zdaemon, I had to disable some of the effects in zboat because they'd crash the server, that's why the csboat version. It's not better, just able to be played on zdaemon. I stopped serving it because, after reading some of the server log messages, it appeared that most people disliked it. We'll try it again.

OK gang, I saw you all in dwango5 map18, gravity was set at 200 (1/4 of normal). Good for a laugh I hope. It's hard to find a wad which offers lots of height variation and might be fun with low gravity. Any suggestions?

I wanted to check it out for the laugh, but for some reason I kept getting booted from your servers after the init screen. all the other servers let me on. same thing happened last week. what happened?

:edit: I go by the name of ryzak, if that helps.

Biffy said:

I stopped serving it because, after reading some of the server log messages, it appeared that most people disliked it.

Well I love it.

VileSlay, I have no idea what causes that. You are not the only one who has trouble connecting sometimes, I've had it myself. Is your "rate" set very high? I'm limiting all clients to a rate of 5000 and those on 56K modem should not be using a rate that high, they are likely to start dropping data I think. Zdaemon plays great with rate 2500 - 3000, try that even if you are on cable or DSL.

MaTT - OK, it'll be back on occasion. With the swimmable water and temporary low gravity over the ocean, zdaemon does not operate very smoothly but it's playable...I was on a while this morning with my daughter and Duckman before the server had to be shut down. Heh, it had been a while since I played it and I had forgotten how amusing the teleport taunt and gib yell was. :)

Biffy said:

VileSlay, I have no idea what causes that. You are not the only one who has trouble connecting sometimes, I've had it myself. Is your "rate" set very high? I'm limiting all clients to a rate of 5000 and those on 56K modem should not be using a rate that high, they are likely to start dropping data I think. Zdaemon plays great with rate 2500 - 3000, try that even if you are on cable or DSL.

so how do I set the "rate". I really want to play some more coop games, and you seem to be the only one putting them up (at least that I see). if you can, email me to let me know when you next throw up a coop server. if you lost my email, let me know.