Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

disallow saving.

Question

is there a way to prevent players from saving game on a specified map ? Like some kind of Parameter or something ?

8 answers to this question

No.

I suppose if you were making it for vanilla you could purposely add enough things that it crashes when you try to save, but... no.

By checking the MAPINFO page on ZDoom wiki it looks like there's no such parameter, oh well case closed, and RIP.

No, there isn't one and there will never be. This has been a feature that got repeatedly requested but since it takes away control from the end user it's one of those things that are on the eternal 'no' list.

As much as I hate to see people savescum their way through maps, as if saving progress made thus far was an actual gameplay feature, I think Graf is right on this one.

if such a feature ever existed I think the first thing most people would do after downloading your wad would be to go into slade and remove the -nosave flag, or whatever. That, or bin the wad entirely :p

Author's ability to control savegames wouldn't hurt when developing some kind of survival horror total conversion. It's harder to justify this when thinking about something closer to Doom - what is Doom anyway, if not a set of conveniences that we lived with for so long that we're taking them for granted?

5 hours ago, Ribbiks said:

if such a feature ever existed I think the first thing most people would do after downloading your wad would be to go into slade and remove the -nosave flag, or whatever. That, or bin the wad entirely :p

Nah it wouldn't hurt to have it regardless, not everyone likes to cheat their way and bother modifying mods.

7 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

No, there isn't one and there will never be. This has been a feature that got repeatedly requested but since it takes away control from the end user it's one of those things that are on the eternal 'no' list.

Cool, so there's no way to prevent players from returning to a map I want them to only be able to play once, well shit.