Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

How necessary is 60fps?

3 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

I'm really tired of the "60< FPS isn't even noticeable" myth. I suspect most of these people either haven't looked at a 120hz screen long enough to really get a feel for how much smoother is is, or their eyesight just isn't sensitive enough.

I have a 144hz screen and while >60hz is "noticeable" in controlled conditions, while playing most games it effectively makes no difference to me.

Only games with 1:1 character control (like aiming with the mouse in a first person shooter) actually feel any better to play, otherwise it merely looks better.

14 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

Only games with 1:1 character control (like aiming with the mouse in a first person shooter) actually feel any better to play, otherwise it merely looks better.

It depends on how sensitive you are.  There's a video of Linus and some guys doing a blind test, and most of them could tell 60 from 120 Hz.  I'm rather sensitive to anything regarding controls, it's obvious to me very quickly. When i got my first 120 hz monitor it was set to 60 hz  by default, I moved the mouse around on the desktop while changing to 120 hz, and the difference was so sudden and obvious  that I said "eh?" aloud, although I was alone in my room. Now there are even 240 hz monitors on the market, I'd get one if they weren't all 1080p TN panels, guess I'll have to wait until better tech gets available, like this one, although prices will be another matter of course.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/38.htm#asus_rog_swift_pg35vq

And here they saw even a difference between 120 and 240 hz :)

http://www.pcgamer.com/does-a-240hz-monitor-really-make-a-difference/