Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biffy

Congrats to Cerberus!

Looks like we have a new asshole floating around on Zdaemon, goes by the name Cerberus. Strike three last night (seen in my server logs), he's outta' here! For the public good, Cerberus is banned from rarefiles. He's the one who kept jacking with your coop games; you're now rid of him. He's the one who thinks it's pretty smooth to liberally use the F word in the presence of women (Modders) and also a nine-year-old girl.

While I was in the mood, I put a lid on AndyFrench too, what a foul-mouthed prick. I watched him play, he's quite good, there's no reason to act like a turd especially when you have games go your way.

Ahh, rarefiles smells better already!

bigbadgangsta said:

Post the logs if you can.

BBG, I can post them easily, but I'm not inclined to. At least not the foul-language ones. Why do you ask? If it's for the general amusement, I don't think I will. If it's because someone would like to see proof, OK, here's a taste.

Me in my own coop server, doom2 map04, Cerberus standing on the switch in the corner of the crate room not allowing others to access it:

(SPEC) <LC>CERBERUS has connected.
<LC>CERBERUS has joined the game.
<LC>CERBERUS: hello
CRONO: hiya
<LC>CERBERUS: i'm coop's worst nightmare so watch out
CRONO: how'
CRONO: is that?
<LC>CERBERUS: watch out for telefrag and me shooting you off ledges
CRONO: you sound like my brother, LOL
<LC>CERBERUS: really
CHAOSZ3RO: rdy?
(SPEC) BIFF: cerberus
(SPEC) CHAOSZ3RO: guess so
---------------------------------------------------------
MAP: the focus
sectors: 122
lines: 591
CRONO has joined the game.
CHAOSZ3RO has joined the game.
(SPEC) BIFF: did you play on bbs
BIFF has joined the game.
CHAOSZ3RO: damnit save me health
CRONO: k
BIFF: haha chickie
CRONO: =P
BIFF: get off
<LC>CERBERUS: hahahah
CRONO: rdy?
<LC>CERBERUS: yes
BIFF: uh, cerb
<LC>CERBERUS: shut up
<LC>CERBERUS: deal with it
CRONO: ....
BIFF: fucker, get off
CHAOSZ3RO should have stood back.
(SPEC) CHAOSZ3RO: lmao
MAP: the waste tunnels
sectors: 176
lines: 958
(SPEC) <LC>CERBERUS: lol
(SPEC) CRONO: ^_6;;
CRONO has joined the game.
BIFF has joined the game.
CHAOSZ3RO has joined the game.
BIFF: i'm gonna ban cerb, now
CHAOSZ3RO: you guys use infinite ammo?
CRONO: not here
BIFF: why not
<LC>CERBERUS: no please dont
CHAOSZ3RO: hehe k
<LC>CERBERUS: was joking around
BIFF: why not
<LC>CERBERUS: i always do
BIFF: that's enuf
BIFF: i'll be watching, have fun

Ruining coop the next day:

CERBERUS let an arachnotron get him.
CERBERUS: woww this is incredibily stupid
MAN'O'WAR : then leave
CERBERUS: no
CERBERUS: im trying to make it work
MAN'O'WAR : huh?
CERBERUS: ass
MAN'O'WAR : what?
CERBERUS: oh well i always like shooting people off ledges
MAN'O'WAR : you mad at me?
MAP: the factory
sectors: 162
lines: 774
WHY R U SO MEAN has joined the game.
(SPEC) MAN'O'WAR : what the hell is your problem

Same crap last night:

CERBERUS was splattered by a cyberdemon.
MATT was splattered by a cyberdemon.
MATT: why?
CERBERUS: what
CHAOSZ3RO was eaten by a spectre.
DEKKION: megasphere for sale
CHAOSZ3RO: damnit dont shoot me into fucking pits!
CERBERUS: yep
CERBERUS: hahahahaha

ya biffy this is real cool of you, keeping our games clean so we can enjoy them, and not have them spoiled by the plagues of assholes ravaging this planet.

Good work Biff :)

Damnit, I've known for a long time that there was a doomer that uses the name Mat, but when I've met him he hasn't seemed to mind that our names are similar, and nor do I, but now I know that someone else uses the name Matt (with two Ts), I realise that that's gonna cause even more confusion, so from now on I'm gonna use my new name (which I already use in some other games), Lord Lamer. If you think this name sounds crap, good, that's the idea.

edit: Oh my god! My new name brings me good luck. I've used it a few times before tonight in Doom DMs and it's caused my position to rise slightly from last, and tonight, since I've set it up as my permanent name (I keep my zdoom.cfg file read-onlyed), I've won a game (Dwango5 map19) and then come second (to skater) in the next game (Dwango5 map01). The only map I've ever won a game in before (except to newbies that didn't know how to run, let alone autorun) is Dwango5 map14. Also, in the map01 game I met Cerberus and told him he was famous on this forum, he should be here in a minute.

I was wondering who would tell him about this post. From his comments to other players, he's proud of it. I don't think he really "gets it". He thinks he got banned because he "shot someone off a ledge". Not exactly, everyone can goof off a little or make a few mistakes. It's because he persists in doing that sort of thing game after game, in spite of being asked to cooperate (the game is COOP).

Of course it didn't help his case when he told me to shut up after I first spoke to him - seems to think he's the server admin, not me. What really did it was his comment to someone who was playing alongside his 9-year-old daughter, "F... your nine year old daughter". I think she could read that, my six-year-old Eryn plays doom pretty well and can read most of those words.

Very unfortunate that Cerberus was able to completely change his IP address last night and slipped past the ban. With luck, he won't have many friends who will let him use their computers and also pick up a ban.

Let's see, what else, hey Zimmerman, Cerberus hijacked your nickname too for a while. Probably as an attempt to get past the ban.

A few years back, when I played doom on Hotel California BBS using that Sirdoom front end, I met a snippy player named Cerberus. He's 30 now or close to it. How sad it would be if these are the same people. The more recent Cerberus smells like he's about 12 and may in fact be able to shape up. If it's the 30-year-old, how very sad.

Good work banning this asshole, Biffy. People shouldn't use profanity in front of little kids, that much I know.

It's a pity people are intent on ruining coop games. As a matter of fact I believe "friendly fire avoidance" takes away from the fun, and it's almost impossible to set off under these conditions.

Perhaps Biffy would consider doing a weekly" Tales of the server" OR Tales from the battlefield" update. News items and snippits of gossip gleaned from his server logs?

myk said:

It's a pity people are intent on ruining coop games. As a matter of fact I believe "friendly fire avoidance" takes away from the fun, and it's almost impossible to set off under these conditions.

myk, at first I was serving COOP and some players kept ruining the play by shooting others. After that, I turned friendly fire off. Yeah, I'd prefer to play doom with friendly fire on, more realistic, you have to more truly cooperate.

I suppose I could turn friendly fire back on and then begin to exclude (ban) whoever ruins the play. This is sort of new territory for me because for a long time I was very reluctant to ban anyone. The first ban was given out for cheating with aimbot, later speedhack.

Fodders, I might do that once or twice but most of what you'll see in the logs is the frags piling up or some chatter. Some of the players probably don't want to have their private conversations made public. Tell you what, if I find anything which shows the good spirit of play and fun that most people have, I'll paste it here from time to time. Hm, the logs also contain everyone's IP address. Do you think that information should be deleted before posting?

Probably best to lose IP, it is no longer shown in people's posts here unless you are a mod, so better not to show it in your logs.

Can you ban nicknames from ZDaemon servers as well as IPs? There should be some way of banning the IP of anyone that uses a particular nickname, even if they only use it once. Why don't you give an rcon password to someone that regularly uses your coop servers? Then they could just kick people like Cerberus every time they join, and it wouldn't matter if they use different IPs each time.

biff, i didn't use zimmerman's name, so what are you talking about? i remember him changing it last night but i was logged in as cerberus.
and about the nine year old, that wasn't me, it was probably one of my friends on my computer. but everything else is true. i've had my laughs doing all those things, but it pissed you off. i got what i deserved. it was comin' to me.

just clearing up a few things.

The server logs are a bit confusing regarding the name changes and sometimes Zdaemon prints messages slightly out of order. I see that it might have been Zimmerman changing his name several times in a row, at the same time you were connecting and disconnecting. Not a big deal.

There appear to be two people who have played by the name Cerberus, and their IP addresses are not the same. One starts with 205 and the other starts with 206. Tell me which you are. This would not be explained by a friend using your computer.

What I need to do, once you explain which IP address is yours, is to go back and review the logs and sort out you and the "other Cerberus". If I become satisfied about the differences, and you either promise to stay away from the coop server or to cooperate with the other players there, you'll get another chance.

MaTT, only IP addresses are banned, not nicknames. Also, someone with the rcon password cannot easily kick another player from the game because the players are identified by a query about player numbers which zdaemon assigns on the fly, and that query is only viewed in the console (actual serving computer). A ban also cannot be added by rcon because you cannot see anyone's ip address by rcon.

Right now, the only player who has the password besides me is Falconer, who is due to come back from vacation in a week or so, and I bet he'll be ready to frag. :)

Biffy said:

BBG, I can post them easily, but I'm not inclined to. At least not the foul-language ones. Why do you ask? If it's for the general amusement, I don't think I will. If it's because someone would like to see proof, OK, here's a taste.

Well, it was just because I wanted to see what got you so upset. Looks like proof enough to me...

Little Faith said:

Wouldn't the forum term "troll" fit rather well on this proud example.

Probably not.

I'm not certain what is meant by that term troll if not "baiting" or "fishing" for an argument. That is not what's going on here. Here is my view:

1. Over a period of days, I see that someone is spoiling the fun for the majority of players on my servers (rarefiles.tripod.com). Reviewing the logs, I get pushed over the edge when I see the comment made, by the offending player to the father of a young lady also in the game, to F... his daughter, etc. I really lost my temper at that, I'm also the father of a young lady.

2. Put ban in place on my servers and as a "community service" I let it be known via this thread that I'd taken care of a problem which had affected a number of zdaemon players, some members here, some not.

3. By so doing, I hoped to reinforce the standard of behavior I and Falconer are asking to be observed on our servers. The behavior standard is stated on the web page and also in the MOTD which all can see when they join....no cheating and "no brats". At rarefiles, it's all about playing Doom with maximum enjoyment.

4. This public notification can also serve to put community pressure on those who degrade our Doom games in one way or another, getting them to reconsider their behavior and in general improving the gaming environment.

5. Also, by virtue of this thread, I'd wanted to make it clear to the offender just what the problem was, so that if there was anything to clear up and he could be allowed back, I'd be very pleased with that.

6. It turns out that there is indeed something to clear up. There are two Cerberus players, different IP addresses. When our new member Cerberus replies to me, stating the first three digits of his IP address, there is a good chance that this will be resolved to the satisfaction of all.

the first three numbers of my IP are 206.

i wasn't using a friend's computer to slip past the ban. nor did i change my IP address. i connected to rarefiles the day of the ban, i don't know how it changed from 206 to 205.

Given that info, I've studied the logs again and it's become clear that all of your appearances, as Cerberus or <LC>Cerberus, are the same person. Most of the logs show the 206 IP, but the last one, where you are on with Zimmerman, who changes his name to Ballin Wallin, and where you ask him if he's read the post about you on doomworld, connects with that 205 IP address. I could see your rejected attempt to join the following night, from 206.

Since we have been open about discussing this, I'm going to remove your ban. Clean up your act a bit on zdaemon, play doom well and you'll enjoy respect.