Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pickle965

New to Level Editing

Ok, I'm supposed to be doing chores but screw that... I have recently decided to give a try at creating decent DooM levels. Any advice on which editor would be the easiest to start out with, mainly Windows based ones? Also, anywhere I can get some tutorials on starting out since I am such a complete moron?

Thanks,
Pickle

Are you serious, Pickle Hammer? Your last release of that Romero's head was decent... ;)

Give Deepsea a try for an editor. Free at sbsoftware.com
Download and look over all the tutorials here at Doomworld to under stand how to get started and what mistakes to NOT make.

There are numerous editors out there, take a look at what your requirements are. Two of the main editors out there are Deepsea and WadAuthor, take a look at them.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

WadAuthor is probably the easiest to start out with, DeepSea has tons of features that might just confuse someone who is new to editing. Once you get the hang of it, then decide which editor would be the best for what you want to do.

Yep, I agree there, WadAuthor is fairly easy to learn and has all the usual Windows features, making it all the easier. DeePsea has those features as well, but like AV46 says, it has all the extra stuff like the lump manager etc. which could be confusing for a newbie.

Best thing to do is try 'em both, although WA has a time limit and DeePsea has a size limit (shareware versions)

IMO, Dck is the easiest i've seen to use nothin' but point 'n' click and what 5 letters to switch 5 diff modes (or rite clik for menu)

God this it just WAY too easy!

Hey, thanks for all the help. WA, WinDEU, and Deepsea all seem pretty straight foward. I will work with them to see which works best for me.

Thanks,
Pickle