Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carnevil

Welcome to Skulltag! FAQ

Welcome to Skulltag!

Just what is Skulltag you ask? Skulltag is a mod for the once and still popular game, Doom II. It features many brand new features to the game, including new items, weapons, skins, bots, levels, gameplay modes, and a whole slew of other things.

The single player portion of ST (Skulltag) consists of two brand new scenarios, all of which you can read about here. The multiplayer version will consist of client/server play allowing people to come in and out of existing ST games, much like existing games today.

And now, on to some frequently asked questions... FAQ's if you will.

Q1: Where can I get a copy of the latest version of Skulltag?

Q2: How do I run Skulltag?
  • A2: Simply unzip the .zip file you downloaded into you Doom II directory, and type "skulltag". It will now look like you've loaded a game of Doom II, only with a whole lot more stuff!
Q3: Can I play ST online with friends?
  • A3: You can, but it's pretty buggy right now. Wait for the next version :)
Q4: When I start playing scenario 2, these two other people named 'Deimos' and 'Chubbs' join me. Who are they and what do I do?
  • A4: Secnario 2 is the deathmatch episode. Just play it like any normal deathmatch game. First one to reach 25 frags wins. If YOU win, you advance to the next level. If not, you play the same level again. The two players who join you are what we call "bots", artifical players created by the game itself. They run around and attack like any human would, only no humans are controlling them... the game is.

Q5: What new items are there in Skulltag?

• A5: I'll go ahead and list them all here.
Weapons - Weapons are items used by players to attack their opponents (hopefully you know that already).
  • Grenade launcher - Weapon similar to the rocket launcher. Fires grenades which either strike an opponent and explode, or bounce around for awhile... and then explode. Uses rockets. Alternates with the rocket launcher on weapon slot #5. (hit 5 to select it!)

• Railgun - Extremely precise cell-powered weapon. Alternates with the plasma rifle on weapon slot #6.

• BFG10K - An extremely powerful weapon that fires extremely fast, splash damaging bullets. Alternates with the BFG9000 on slot #7.
Items - Items are objects around the level that give you a bonus when picked up.
  • Max. health bonus - Increases the maximum amount of health you can have.

• Max. armor bonus - Increases the maximum amount of armor you can wear.

• Red Armor - Armor that gives you added protection against fire-related attacks.
Power-ups - Power-ups are items that grant you a substantial bonus, however only last a short time.
  • Doomsphere - Quadruples the amount of damage you do. Players posessing this item will appear red to other players.

• Turbosphere - Quadruples your speed.

• Time-freezer - The greatest powerup of all time. In singleplayer it does exactly that - freeze time for 5 or 10 seconds. In multiplayer, it does the same thing, without screwing up the game for anyone else. The coolest thing ever and I guarantee it will not be cut or altered in any way. [Carnevil's note: Lingie wrote that, not me. That is all :)]

• Infrared tracker - Allows you to spot your opponents on the automap.

• Invisibility - Causes you to become almost completely invisible for a short amount of time. Great for team games!
Runes - Runes are similar to power-ups, however they are generally about half as powerful, but remain with you until you are killed, or you pick up another rune. Only one rune can be carried at a time.
  • Strength - Doubles the amount of damage dealt from all your attacks.

• Drain - Gives you a percentage of the health you deal whenver you land a hit on your opponent.

• Spread - Causes all weapons to fire straight, and slightly to the right and left.

• Rage - Cuts your firing speed in half.

• Resistance - Cuts the amount of damage done to you in half.

• Regeneration - Causes you to slowly regain health.

• Prosperity - Allows you to pick up medkits and stimpacks until your health reaches 200%.

• Reflection - Deals some damage back to your attacker when he damages you.

• High jump - Doubles the height of your jumping.

• Haste - Doubles your speed.

Q6: How do I setup my own botmatch?

• A6: Probably the easiest way is through the "skirmish" menu. At the main menu, goto Multiplayer, then select skirmish. It has a bunch of options that allow you to select your gameplay mode, bots you want to join, fraglimit, etc. You can also setup a standard deathmatch game on any level, and add your own bots with the "addbot" console command.
Q7: What new gameplay modes are there in Skulltag?
  • A7: I'll go ahead and list them all here.
Gameplay modes
  • Normal - Kill monsters, find keys. You know, all that fun stuff.

• Deathmatch - Standard Doom deathmatch. Hopefully I don't need to explain this one :)

• Teamplay deathmatch - Deathmatch mode where everyone divides up into and fight as teams.

• Instagib - Deathmatch mode that erases all items from the level, and everyone is equipped with only the railgun. All landed hits with the railgun result in an instand gibbing of your opponent (thus the name, instagib).

• Survival - Variant of deathmatch where you lose frags for dying. So now there's motivation to not get killed!

• Scoremode - Deathmatch mode where the scoring is based on points, instead of frags. Points are earned through gaining medals, fragging others, etc. (Note: Fragging people with weaker weapons results in more points for your frag!)

• Terminator - Variant of deathmatch. At the beginning of the game, a "terminator" ball spawns at a random player spawn point. Whoever posesses the terminator ball becomes the "terminator", with permanent quad damage, and starts with 200% health, 200% armor. Whoever kills the terminator receives 10 frags, and the terminator ball drops to the ground, where it can then be picked up by someone else.

• Oldschool - Deathmatch mode that simulates the old version of Doom (silent BFG, no Z height checking, etc.). Wow Doom has come a long way!

• Teamgame - Seperates all players into two teams (red or blue) and sets up all team related Doom games (CTF, ST, Domination, etc.)

Q8: Can I make my own bots?

• A8: Not just yet. In the next version you will be able to, and I'll explain how then.

NEW MODE

One Flag CTF

The premise is simple. Nab the white flag and infiltrate the enemy base and touch their flag. Simple but endless fun!

bigbadgangsta said:

NEW MODE

One Flag CTF

The premise is simple. Nab the white flag and infiltrate the enemy base and touch their flag. Simple but endless fun!

/me spanks

That'll be in the next version

Skull Tag seems to be alive & killing again. That's good. Skull Tag can also be used with other deathmatch-wads, for example the 'Dwango'-series. But with some wads, like the two 'Gothic'-deathmatch maps, there seems to be a strange glitch. Some of the textures on the walls in gothicdm.wad and gothic2.wad are doing rather weird things when opened in Skull Tag. They start flashing. To be more precise, some sectors in the architecture start cycling (rather rapidly) various textures. When opened normally, this effect is absent in these wads. It seems to be a typical Skull Tag-glitch. Is there a solution to this side-effect?

Nanhold

The beforementioned glitch concerning the flashing textures does happen in wads which make use of many new (by which I mean not originally available in classic Doom II) textures. The gothicdm.wad en gothic2.wad use many textures from Heretic and the first Quake, which really helps in giving these wads their dark and desolate feel.
Since Skull Tag simply has the best and most original bots, I really want to be able to play these maps glitch-free in Skull Tag.

Nanhold

It's worth saying that I get the exact same flashy texture effects, but in some of the normal Skull Tag levels as well. It seems to alternate between BFALL, ASHWALL, a HOM, and something else. The duration for each is about .5 seconds.

we *could* bug carny into changing the names of these textures, resetting the occurances, and then realeace a new wad, but this would take massive ammounts of time