-I think you won't have lag.

-Enjoy, and good luck!
The Rooms.7z

Screenshot_Doom_20170831_103124.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170831_103140.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170831_103147.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170831_103209.png

Screenshot_Doom_20170831_103228.png

The screenshots don't look very appealing...

Seems like you made a bunch of big square/rectangular rooms with doors and just filled them with monsters.

This is how the layout looks like. Not very interesting , even for a first map.

layousst.png

oh hi shotgun carpet

Not too bad for a first map. I have seen far, far worse. For instance, mine. Mine was just a simple room in off kilter angles with a door and and exit and a few cacodemons and a baron or two. Also, most of the textures were missing. And no ammo or health. It was never released, but still...

I think it just needs to be vacuumed. Too bad the dust bag is limited to 50. I hope you can find a bigger one somewhere.

45 minutes ago, Marnetstapler said:

don't see a need in saying something like this while OP is still vulnerable and doesn't know any better.

I think rd's post serves more to defend slaughtermaps against the obvious stigma of "basic layout w/ 100000 monsters in a room" and less to insult the beginner mapper personally.

I can't tell the difference between this and Chillax

Actual post: Really basic first map Nautkillius, but that's not a bad thing, we all start somewhere. Try messing around with different ceiling and floor heights, rounded walls, stairs and such. Building those kinds of things really helps to familiarize you with the mapping process, even if you don't have an idea for a map layout. Good luck!

Somehow I don't think SOSU intended to promote stigma of slaughtermaps, it seemed more like a vote of confidence.

Edited by Avoozl

I would like to try this but sadly I can't open 7z files(I hate winzip)

Would it be possible to just put in a zip file instead?

Actually i believe that someone's "style" shows itself in even someone's first map so i thought that if he puts a lot of monsters in his first map that means that he likes that style of combat and he wants to evolve his style in a "slaughtermap" way,in my former post i neither was joking about the slaughter map stereotype nor was i joking about Nautkillius's map (also most first maps are square rooms with doors and monsters),i was just encouraging Nautkillius to develop his slaughtermap mapping skills

6 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

You're tearing me apart Nautkillius.

I did not hit her. I did NAUT (KILLIUS)

The doors need work. You might consider using DOORTRAK on the sides of the door, and it is important to make the sides of the door Lower Unpegged so the texture doesn't move up when the door goes up. Also, the underside of the door has the same ceiling flat as the rooms on either side. You want to choose a plain gray flat that closely matches the texture of the door, like FLAT19 or CRATOP1. You could use a dummy sector (a thin sector in front of the door to look like a doorway) to make the door 128 units tall and the room taller than that.

Also, the map is flat, with all the floors and ceilings the same height. Look at maps you like and see how the floors and ceiling are different heights throughout the map. While you at it, also note that there are different textures and flats used through the map.

All this criticism is intended to be constructive, to help you improve.

Once there where times I was the happiest man in the world and so excited I created something similar to the map in the first post. The thrill of making your first proper Doom wad, I never get that back. Nowdays I map like a mindless zombie that is still searching for that thrill again, don't think I'll ever find it back.

Anyway not too bad for a first effort, no shortage of shells :) Very generous of you to supply the player with more boxes of shells. I wish I was in your shoes now, I want your thrill and excitement :p

damn, and here i was getting my hopes up that this was gonna be a wad based off the movie

but being a bit more on-topic, you seriously need to be a bit more creative with your enemy placement, instead of just filling an entire room full of enemies. try making a more unique, complex layout and base your enemy placement around that (i.e. ambushes, traps, etc.)

Well done on your first map.  Now start thinking about your second, and think about things like varying floor and ceiling heights and lights.  Have a look at real buildings and public spaces: they give you a good idea for how real-life architects make spaces interesting.

And, yep, I definitely have breast cancer.