Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Crumpets & Stardate 20X7 & Rush

Energy and enthusiasm sure is high this month! :P

I've played Stardate 20x7 before, aside from the secret maps, as well as the beta that was out for a while prior. Haven't tried the difficulties below UV, aside from map01 which I played through once on HMP. UV is hard but manageable, assuming you do progression in the "correct" order in some of the maps. Blind + no saves = bad combination though. Don't try this at home.

Anyway, GLBoom+, UV-Pistol Starts, out of combat saving.

MAP01 - “Sun/Moon/Stars”

C60FF8BCFB379DFD8F2DBC65D4BDB1954D4EF0B6

Ribbiks starts by going oriental with the buildings looking a lot like the 3rd(?) map of Deus Vult 2. The purple theme is back here, although blue was the colour changed to purple instead of green like in Stardate 20x6. No purple Hell Knight plasma, BFG or teleports this time. :( UV resources are very scarce, so you better be cool with punching quite a few Hell Knights and other enemies. The fights are relatively low-key, with smaller groups of enemies, similar to Crumpets. It's relatively chill if done in the correct order but it's easy to get lost or stumble upon a fight you'd rather not be in with supplies on hand. I've seen a few streams of people playing this map and the yellow key is rather unintuitive. I don't see how flipping one side of the switch to create a slime pool hints at what it does across the map. There's also a joke secret with an armour bonus that requires jumping off that lift you had to pump up.

The beta version had a Cyberdemon instead of a Mancubus in the main building fight, as well as a BFG, which made for a rather dangerous encounter. I think that made the map more fun overall but I can see not wanting to introduce the BFG too early. Midi is cool, though somewhat repetitive.

Edited by Spectre01

MAP03 Amethyst III

More of the cybernetic-theme going on purple-style with this map. Much fewer enemies leads to less headaches, and again, setpieces become rather typical here. But that's fine because Ribbiks knows how to make setpieces fun. What we still need to improve on is the progression again! It's better than the last map, but I still got no clue what switch has done what. It bothers me way more than it should, even if it ends up netting me two more secrets, one of which is a hexagonal arena fight, possibly mitigated by removing the threatening mancubi beforehand. Both blue and yellow keys were there, but for some reason I found them through a secret before finding them normally. Nice sequence break, too bad it took me awhile to figure out so I can't like it. Nothing here was overly tough for me to handle overall otherwise.

Pistol Start: So which weapon should I run for first. Did you guess the plasma gun? Because that's what I went with. Straight ahead is the hint for that. I then go for the chaingun and rocket launcher after detouring to the left side where the shotgun is, plus getting the teleporter switch for that one secret (which also held a plasma gun). The secrets really do help in this one, not just for the munitions, but for the one near the keys I can ride the lift up and get the keys there. Only due to my own stupidity did I realize just where the switch to lower the blue key was, and I realized it late.

finishing up Crumpets!

Uv5ctz5.png

map09 fda

not a big fan of this one. didnt really know what i was doing for a lot of the map, which is ok, but when its combined with PE/lost souls, and hitscanners on a without much cover its a recipe for charging about lost while getting spammed to death, which is not my idea of fun.

once you know where to go its reasonably simple, aside from what felt like a lottery on the YK fight.

i loved the candles to the exit though.

CRUMPETS FDA PACK (+ TXT NOTES!)

damn i wish id played this earlier, really cool set and lets you (me) play some Ribbik's on UV without worrying about my sanity and/or free time.

a little bit too brown (and then Ribbiks went completely the other way :D ) but the gameplay is there. standout maps for me were 07 and 08.

Edited by rehelekretep

20x7 map02:

This map.. is really great. There are lots of interesting scenarios and.. lots of punching =x. I really wish that I couldnt stuff the vile in its closet at the ysk area.

Really enjoy the layout. The first time I played it took me forever to find all of the secrets. That soulsphere inside of that waterfall eluded me for so long..

Favorite fight is definitely the pk fight. Also the yk fight is greatly improved in comparison to the beta.

Casual route max that ended up not so casual until after the pk fight (pk fight can be a bitch):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6e8dvod2axfizw8/s702_cl9.lmp?dl=0

MAP04 Velvet Blood Mission

And just when I was hoping it would get better, it really doesn't. I mean, I love this artistic design and how it's all made but again, where exactly am I supposed to go most of the time!? I see we've got the plasma gun and chaingun at the start, and your mostly standard setpieces. Combat really doesn't hit much of a stride regardless though. Other than the standard issued sniper, the teleporting enemies, or the gimmick arch-vile encounters, nothing you wouldn't expect out of Ribbik's other stuff. Hey cool, I would've actually had some actually good use out of that rocket launcher if I got the purple key sooner.

So overall, the combat wasn't bad, it's just the navigational elements of this map that bother the hell out of me. These include things like the "switch blocks" for the black key or in that room with the four arch-viles and SSG, which aren't entirely obvious that they're switches. The whole left side seems to be on timed lift triggers and switches. There's that walkway to the south end which trolls you from getting the armor bonuses, followed by the weird teleport switches that allow you to get a black key, although I already got one around the timed switches I mentioned before. Speaking of which there's these bonuses that I'm pretty sure are completely inaccessible, about nine of them in fact. The southeast area has these platforms that temporarily pop up and down, and require looking at the ground to traverse, and quickly. There's also the matter of heading to the exit, long lift to a switch that temporarily lowers the bars, having to race to them via using the black switch box (which is a quick lift), then the exit itself. What even IS this contraption? I can't wrap my head around it, but it seems that lowering the gridlines to the bottom is not an option. Ooh, and added friction too. Come on, the level's done. This map was meant to aggravate, but strangely not in its combat.

Pistol Start: The plasma gun is my spirit animal for most of this, and knowing the headaches this level provided, I of course get through faster. Pretty certain that megaarmor secret is only available through arch-vile jump, while the other secret is available through the same switch as the one barring the multi-switch area near the exit. That one helped in getting the purple key faster, and also allowed access to the rocket launcher early. Thank goodness for that. Other than that, there's a new afrit on the scene, well, fuck the afrit anyways, this monster just gets to be in all the "cool" wads nowadays even though it's not cool anymore. Had to rush through the leftmost SSG trap to avoid the arch-viles, while the other one with one-at-a-time ordeals was a lot smoother. Still, the combat isn't the annoying thing about this map.

Stardate 20X7

a0KBEdJh.png

ZZz6VAfh.png

MAP01 - “Sun/Moon/Stars”

gzDoom - HMP – pistol start/saves

I remember playing this in it’s beta form. Had forgotten all about it. Finally released eh? Wow. It’s just as beautiful as I remember it. LOVE the use of purple. Such a cool change in motif from Crumpets mint chocolate colored stuff. These are the truly remarkable types of modern designs that first drew me to Ribbiks’ work. The kind of stuff I discovered in Sunlust that brought me back to playing Doom wads. Really unique and stylistic work. Both visually and gameplay wise with it’s set ups. Lots of hard traps and situations to get stuck in. Always appreciate a great looking exit and I love the spacy intermission screen as well. Excellent.

HhhvwPUh.png

MAP02 - “Eastern Sun”

Confusion. That sums this one up for me. I really had a hard time figuring out where I was supposed to go and what I was supposed to do. Lots of fun locations though. Like the berserk pickup area with the lost/abandoned tech equipment guarded by two commandos. There was a nice looking temple with a Manc and a SSG that came out of nowhere too. Didn’t expect that kind of set piece. Sweet.

Lots of little tricky jumps and switches with cramped vertically designed areas interwoven together in between really tough arena fights. My favorite being the drop down in the dark to dance with imps while two teams of AV’s flame you from above. Some of the others were really hard, the worst being the 6 AV’s locking you in with a cyberdemon and tons of cacs/HKs. That seemed a bit much without a BFG or PG.

Overall though I did enjoy struggling to find the keys which leads you to the next area. It felt like a good bit of work to achieve the ending with a stop through this weird purple lighting shutes before the odd floaty feeling room that opens up the possibility to then jump through the circular drop in to another dark sequence.

Very neat idea with the snarky hint. Visually great and hair raising sneaking through before having to go toe to toe with more AV’s two more times to move on to the spectacular purple cave waterfalls and then up to the artsy looking exit. Cool stuff. Fun conveyor belt exit through the lights too.

Tons of awesome stuff in this map once you got past the initial befuddlement at the beginning. Took me a long time to take this one in and get things done. Enjoyed it though.

I’m so busy clinging on to the last days of summer. Not sure if I can catch up this month. There is a lot to take in with these maps!

ok so ive read the .txt file as i remembered discussion about skill levels when this came out and Ribbiks recommends starting on HMP. im going to try and do HMP saveless as much as i can but i may break by the end (or 2nd map, whatever :D )

0cM2YGW.png

map01 fda

yeah no, not a fan. the Japanese/future temple design to my eye looks kinda boxy and mis-matched (aside from the gorgeous vista at the start), and the combat is largely pop-out of ground without much bite (maybe worse on UV >.<). i gave up on the YK, i just couldnt find out how to get to it. i dropped into the exit area largely out of frustration and fully expected to get stuck or die but then managed to exit in one piece. i hope this gets better. at least the midi is good and fits the map.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:22 PM, Spectre01 said:

Energy and enthusiasm sure is high this month! :P

Looking back at last month's thread, voting numbers weren't high.  I think this won with only 6 votes, though I may have miscounted  (and only two of those voters actually seem to be posting)

In order to improve my own mapping I have started going through wads on lower difficulties. Since Ribbiks stated he spent time on 20x7's hntr I am going to change up my normal routine and play through this wad on hntr. Probably summarize my thoughts after I am finished.

I will make demos of each map. None of these have foresight on hntr but I know these maps pretty well still.

Map01:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0q4xl6ibzsi1oe/s701_skill2_cl9.lmp?dl=0

i have found by some old fda downloads that i hosted on this website, that there are a lot more people following along with the thread than you might expect. of course its a shame that they dont join in :(

MAP07: Frog and Toad

100% kills, no map secrets

Another "knife-fight in an elevator booth" map. Like some others, the manc in the part that opens up the wall (with the imps/revs and baron overlooking) just walked around in circles for ages and wouldn't fire unless damaged first, which made creating infighting there quite annoying. I also ran into some extreme ammo shortage on the yellow key fight (14 bullets and nothing else left when the last AV dropped) only to realize I had missed the plasma gun and the 200 cells right near it. Looks like my penchant for missing weapons has carried over from last month, sigh.

MAP02 - “Eastern Sun”

6CEC4B7536F8D17B9BB35C864ABE43AB7CCB62B1

While signs of Eastern architecture still remain, this map is a lot more abstract and purple than the town in map01. It's also significantly more complex to navigate and getting all the secrets is unlikely without foreknowledge. On that note: why does flipping the lion switch in the tunnel block access to the Soulsphere? Odd choice. Early parts of the map are very much in the ammo-starvation territory so Berserk punching and precise Chaingun-tapping are your best friends. Let's skip over all the casul stuff here and get to the meat of the level; the purple key fight. By far the hardest section here, taking me 5-10 attempts to clear, it can either be the highlight or the most frustrating part of the map. Depending on how much challenge you crave. Then again, if you're not looking to die repeatedly then why play 20x7 on UV? Using the "bail out strat" is still the easiest way to handle the PK encounter, where you attempt to burn down 3 Viles ASAP and then punch or shoot your way through the one on the central lift. I safely killed the remaining 2 Viles, grabbed the Megasphere, did the "I can't see shit" YK fight and then came back to clean up the Cyber, PE and bunch of Lost Souls.

The finale in the dark room isn't too bad. You can semi-cheese it by standing your ground against the 2 Viles on the ledge before the water pit and then, using that as a foothold, lure enemies and other Viles to where you can safely kill them from behind cover. Fun map, looks great etc. Not too big on the midi.

Edited by Spectre01

MAP03 - “Amethyst III”

99D34BFFFADD99F403535DFF8F8094505BB4FBCC

That floor should've been bumpy!

Now this is more like 20x6 than the first two maps. A rusted space station with some shiny purple here and there. The monster count on UV is at a modest 110 and strict ammo management is the name of the game here. The 2 Cybers especially need to do their infighting job. It's pretty damn fun to be leading Rev rockets into the Cyber on the pentagonal platform, while avoiding rockets from the other at the main base. This map is basically the same as the beta version, although the staircase encounter is harder to cheese (I made an involuntary Vile jump out of it). The midi is also great and one of my favourites in this wad along with map08.

MAP05 Sphinx Rising

THERE WE GO. See this is what I want, good level progression, not some obtuse puzzle crap that takes me minutes to figure out. This is a good level, this time offering us some purple caves. In a way, this is what Shamu (Crumpets MAP08) felt like it should've been. The cyberdemon gimmick in the hallway? Eh, fine enough. I figure out how to cram him in with the barons in the cave area and then finish him off after dealing with a few other monsters. That one area with the sinkhole and the cacos was extremely fun, as was the second cyber! These encounters were very nicely done. And it gets better too, the one hallway warps reality, puts us where the black key is, bam, hellish and red. Nasty. I actually try to get the chaingunners first, then all the monsters in front of me (honestly those pain elementals behind me guarding the key are not troublesome at all). It took me a good while to figure out those last few secrets, including the purple key, which is used for an alternate BFG area.

And speaking of, the exit area. I feel it deserves special mention. A pentagon of death if you will. Aggravating as fuck, you get the BFG (unless you are playing on UV), but no ammo for it, so the rockets have to take center stage. The floor is quite symbolic as you spend the minute or so clearing it out. If it's red the arch-viles come out. One strategy, if you can do it, is lure the hell knights and especially the barons to the south side, as the north side is where the teleport destinations are, make sure you have the cell ammo, and blast them quickly. Hard stuff. The black skull key apparently points to a death exit, also symbolic, but here is a good map that ends up being a BFG tease map.

BFG tease map: - a map in a mapset that introduces the player to the BFG9000, but also has a death exit, so the player will not be able to carry it over to the next map.

The good news about that death exit is that I don't have to worry about pistol-starting the next map.

Pistol Start: Having to really instigate infighting between the cybers and the other enemies was a bit more of a hassle, especially the first one which gave me a rocket launcher to deal with these monsters. Of course, cyber was lucky enough to survive his ordeal before I can finish mine with the cacos. Adding insult to that was I completely forgot where the yellow key was. On the plus side I got one megasphere secret early, and after the plasma gun things went much smoother. The one secret with four archies in the corners, I mean, there's just nowhere to run. I'd rather not be blasted into the air, even once in a map, unless absolutely necessary. So boo to that secret. Ending area and the optional BFG area went as expected.

bH0F11Kh.png

MAP03 - “Amethyst III”

Nice spacey map floating in a black void. Neat neon purple steps. Starting with the two mancs behind you and no cover is enough to get you running for cover immediately. Which of course leads you to one crazy fight after the next while hoping to grab a weapon and deal with it. Some of the encounter spaces are as always, very groovy looking.

I found the first few minutes to be the hardest. Trying to figure out when you can turn around and deal with the enemies as opposed to just running your ass off. Beyond that, lots of interesting challenges to be found. Especially the secret cyberdemon battle. Weird exit out in the front kind of hiding in plain sight.

I’m a huge fan of chiptunes so this music track works for me.

UY3az0Ph.png

MAP04 - “Velvet Blood Mission”

I had to give up on this one. Not sure what’s going on but not a whole lot of it made any sense to me. The map looks great and all but what the hell? Is this even Doom?

I have a black and purple key and the only thing the black key does is lower the lift up to nowhere really. I can see an area beyond these bars but no idea how to get back there.

Used the purple key to grab a RL and get over to kill the flying purple monster and his buddies but have no hint as to what I’m supposed to do after that with the weird red crushers and the floor that slows you down. Fail.

I can see there’s stuff out of reach beyond some other bars. How to get back there and check out some of the other floating stuff? No clue.

Then there is the SSG trap which is asinine. How the hell are you even supposed to survive that? Pinched in, with no cover. 2 AV's , a PE, two imps and two HK’s. Good luck with that. Thankfully I didn’t need that SSG... because I fought 4 friggin’ AV's for one already!!

You’ve got a weird neon lighted floating and disappearing platform puzzle to get over on and into a weird insta teleporting darkly lit negative zone with a manc. A teleporting item vending machine that damages you via sending you through a red portal tube. A switch with a lighted power line to a platform that connects to some square centerpiece, which does nothing. What… in… the… whatever. Fuck this shit. I’m moving on.

Map04:

This map is really great on hntr. There is still some challenge at the start (can get trapped and die instantly) but if you just avoid getting trapped there are enough medikits/stimpacks around to still get out alive without too much hassle. After that fight the map opens up and changes pace. Allowing the player to explore while dealing with some less threatening groups of monsters.

The ssg fight with the viles/PEs/imps is nerfed quite a bit on hntr. But I think it is justified as beating that fight on higher difficulties requires some out of the box thinking (shooting a rocket just prior to grabbing the ssg). You will see me try this but I couldnt remember the timing so I just shoot the wall :P.

The other ssg fight is also really cool. Abusing the fact that viles don't do full damage when you are up against a 32 unit high block. It is a lot of fun seeing a weird quirk of the game used in this fashion.

The secrets are very well hidden on this map. Requiring some exploration. The blue armor secret is notable because you can simply make it inaccessible if you kill the vile at the start. Things that the player can royally screw up are really great. Reminds me of playing older games and breaks out of the mold where games now-a-days hold your hand till the very end (at least the ones I have played recently).

The afrit was very shocking the first time I saw em. I was insta-gibbed. Now it is just kinda like.. a weird quirk that it appears in one map. But it is interesting none-the-less seeing a purple afrit and is something very memorable imo.

I'm neither against nor for the puzzle at the end. I think it is a very different approach to blocking off the exit. So I give it props for that.

This is definitely one of my favorite maps in the wad without a doubt. Map05 is probably my favorite simply because I really dig the atmosphere and the opportunity to punch cybs is always a bonus :D.

Demo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dqvxvu56dbkb4n2/s704_skill2_cl9.lmp?dl=0

MAP06 The Other Side

THERE IT IS, THE IVOR TOWER MUSIC. I always liked the Gothica portion of Secret of Evermore the most for this music, while Prehistoria was about ambience and Antiqua ups the ante a bit, the best tracks come from Gothica.

What am I even, oh, this map. This one doesn't rush us in to the combat, thankfully, so get the chaingun and get rid of chaingunners. Once I'm done with that, it's time to circle around the center, getting the plasma gun as well. As it stands, this map is mostly about crowd control for the setpieces that come in. Standard, although the first real test was the one where the pain elementals and other monsters warp in. Again, the pain elementals were not a problem (they are almost never problematic anyways). You want to concentrate on a small group of arch-viles that stay turreted at the backside, as well as any chaingunner who warps in. Certainly the hardest part right there.

One of the stranger secrets is where I ended up next. Having a cyberdemon join me in an arachnotron-fueled pasa doble is certainly a heated moment, so I use cybie accordingly, but I actually decide to avoid shooting the switch to avoid the next encounter, all the zombiemen and mancubi plus hiding revenants, until after the cyberdemon dies. Afterwards, mopping up the north side of the main area was yet again more crowd control. A bit disappointed that the end were just the same group of chaingunners from before, although interestingly enough he both started and ended with them. I actually forgot about the rocket launcher area, and it's a good thing I can go back to it. All that stair climbing, then getting warped back and fighting the other really big teleporting horde was certainly fun enough.

Map05:

So as an aside before talking about the actual map. This map started my obsession with punching cyberdemons, and actually practicing effective techniques in punching cyberdemons. I have been playing zdoom quite a bit lately going through the Mayhem 2017 maps. I cannot stand the changes zdoom has made to the fist. I can punch cybs without even thinking about it. I found you can even circle strafe and simply punch monsters constantly, especially cyberdemons with a tiny bit of practice, without even worrying about the monster's attacks in zdoom with ease. It was very refreshing playing this map in prboom+ and actually having to deal with the old fist again, rather than the fucking 20 foot spear in zdoom, and use my old techniques which I will be practicing again (going to be playing grain of salt's dmp2016 map again).

Anyways onto the map. Map05 returns to a more standard layout of linear progression. I don't mind this because the encounters are really great (especially if you use fist). The rl fight is especially great on hntr I think. The caco swarm still manages to be effective, the revs are still sorta hard even without the accompanying viles which are normally present, and the cyb can still catch you out if you aren't careful when dealing with the barons. Punching the cyb in this particular area is so great. The area is small but still large enough so you have to worry about splash damage but through good movement and positioning you can mitigate splash damage almost entirely. Makes the battle very strategic.

The next notable area is the drill area where the floor lowers into a pit where you need to deal with another cyb and a little horde of monsters. This area brings another challenge in the form of bumpy floors and pain sectors. I had made a previous demo on hmp of punching this cyb using far less effort, but returning to this area this time being out of practice was so much fun. The fun in this area was compounded by the bumpy floors. I had to be very careful in this area and really wait for my opportunity to deal damage to the cyb. Really great design here. The arena is larger so splash damage is no longer a threat.. rather being caught out and eating a rocket because of the bumpy floors.

It was quite annoying to die in the secret area. I had screwed up my positioning here and was destroyed by the viles. When making whatev uv max demos for the beta version I had previously beaten this area without getting hit when I had the correct setup. So I need to practice this area again in order to get back up to par.

On hntr the bonus encounter, if you get the bfg prior to getting the black key, in the black key area is gone. Probably for the best because there are like.. 8 viles and a cyb on uv in that area, if you get bfg first, and just more of everything else in comparison to hntr and hmp which is already normally in that area. The bfg is so powerful in this black key area on hntr and hmp.. but it makes sense I think (you are rewarded for exploration). Everything is quickly dispatched with bfg here.

The final fight is still really great. There is more hp, fewer viles, and hks added (probably fewer monsters in general too in comparison to hmp and especially uv). This fight is fucking amazing on uv. There is some rng involved requiring the player to practice it extensively and come up with strategies for when things don't go according to plan. Really enjoy this fight tbh. In comparison to the beta this fight gameplay wise is much improved.. but I still really miss fighting on that structure with that crystal thing in the center which you see off in the distance as you play the map.

Amazing map.

Demo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uv8v3q0dgt3w3cb/s705_skill2_cl9.lmp?dl=0

h7ErtZPh.png

MAP05 - “Sphinx Rising”

Wow. Where do I even start with this one? So I was pretty angry at the last map. Not the case here. The opening shot is gorgeous and I really appreciated a slower paced start with a brooding music track to go with the dark lighting. There is a sort of ominous feeling as you drop down in to the first halls of this dark dungeon where evil awaits (and escapes!) and transforms a bit later on. The lighting is spectacular too. I was won over pretty early on and am glad the rest of the map holds up.

It’s visually outstanding in almost every way. Very impressive stuff all over with many angles providing interesting visual goodies.

The red and purple work really well together, especially during the end melee where you basically have to ration all your gifted ammo and health for the waves of Arch-Viles while surviving the squeeze from the rest. I’m not sure but the I think the color pattern before it was some kind of sequence hint as the colors changed once you become trapped inside. Not sure. The exit was amazing in motion too. That texture is trippy along with the flashing walls. Cool view looking down as well.

I guess the use of red from the exit crushers during the last map is expounded upon here and it’s especially effective when the color is removed to let a little bit of gray show as well. With just a hint of either red or purple, but not both. Especially evident during the hallway with the hanging asian lamps. There seems to be a dark vortex that pulls you into a hellish alternate dimension which is cool as hell. Nice place for a black key. Underneath 3 PE’s and in front of a horde of baddies flanked by revs. Loved the extra violent decor as well. Helped make the transition back that much more effective.

Fun spot for the YK in the caves and blood waterfalls area. Lots of surprise revs after grabbing the RL and nobles coming up from the below after that. Coupled both with a cac swarm and a big cyberdemon and you have one giant shitstorm. JEE-yee-zuz! I was very surprised there was no invulnerability sphere. Just a hidden blue armor. I save scummed like crazy to get through that nonsense. It seems insanely unfair.

I liked the switch station at the dead end later. I managed to steal the PG from the revs, which was fun. However, I never figured out how to get that purple skull key for the BFG to fight it’s guards as well. Oh well. Always fun finding a secret megasphere.

I think one of the welcome common staples of a Ribbiks maps is having those ornate modern art pieces off in the distance, just cause. I noclipped over there for a closer view. Awesome.

Another impressive set piece was the lowering floor and it’s column containing barons at the bottom to destroy your world along with a cyberdemon for back up. Hot damn! Lot of fun being able to run around with more room than usually offered with these kinds of deals in this wad. Retreating up top was only slightly better. Heh.

Thematic ending with finding the black skull key. Amazing. Very cool stuff. Bravo.

fIvGQJn.png

map02 fda

many 'fucks!' were said while attempting to clear the purple key room. im still not sure whether my strategy actually worked or if it was just a flip of the coin whether i survived or not. i didnt think to do as @Spectre01 said and try and bail out; i guess i didnt recognise the switch+lifts+escape possibility.

i also found the HK 'maze' to activate the switch to start the PK gangbang really 'sticky' like they were velcro or something attracting me to them unless i was really delicate with how i got around them; that added some unnecessary annoyance to repeating that section.

i liked the 'Sssh' bit a lot; trying to work out a viable strategy but it didnt feel like it was too much for me and even though i typically dislike darkness used as an obstacle in doom i didnt mind this i think because you can spot stuff as silhouettes rather than being blindsided too often.

midi was cool!

Finishing up Crumpets...

MAP08: Shamu

100% kills, 1/2 secrets

Couple of different paths to take at the start, though eventually you'll do all of them... I think, damned if I know what did what, just that eventually I had everything dead and an exit switch to hit. Nothing too hard in this map on HMP, aside from getting annoyed when the AV didn't flinch at the start (thanks RNG!) and running out of ammo in the caco/PE fight because I decided to high-tail up the stairs and got blocked off from the ammo below. Oh, and I suppose the Viles in the little brick 'cages' caught me off guard at first, but once you know where to stand it's simple. The rest is just shooting stuff in front of you.

(rdwpa, I like your little annoyed shake after the manc got hit by the hell knights but get shooting you instead. Also, wow everything is way brighter on your screen/port... the platform in front of the exit sign around 2:30 is almost pitch black on my settings)

MAP09: Crackerjack

60% kills, 1/7 secrets

Ah yes hitscanner snipers, everyone's favorite gameplay mechanic. Nice to make the blur spheres useful, but still incredibly annoying, especially when figuring out where to go at first... there's a few things that aren't obvious at first, like a switch teleport, needing to take the lift to the back of the yellow key, and walking between the yellow key columns to raise the steps to the sides. Admittedly I just ran from the end fight, hence my low kills score above.

Well that's it for Crumpets, can't say it really hit the spot for me. I don't mind setpieces but I think combining them with really small fight areas doesn't do it for me, I like having a bit more room to run around. And the all-brown color schemes undermines the detailing, I think.

Hope I have time this month to get around to Stardate 20x7, purple is definitely much more my thing.

I'm really behind because September is busy. This sucks :/

Crumpets, MAP01: Earl Grey

UV, 100% kills, 100% secrets, 100% items, pistol starting, saveless, prboom-plus cl9

I prefer coffee tbh.

Phew. Okay, that's enough dooming for today.

MAP07 Lotus Keep

And there's the other wonderful Secret of Evermore track, this one coming from some place in Antiqua instead. Not the Hall of Collosia one, that was in Sunlust MAP03, but this one is just as lovely and is from the other chamber of the Hall of Collosia. I remember these locations via the music, really I do.

This level reminds me of a time when I played one of the Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions, where a map plays almost exactly like this map's beginning. Of course it was by the same author. As it stands too, this one can be finished quite fast, so good points for that and for not getting me horridly lost. By smashing the smaller enemies, there is always room to maneuver to drain out the big ones, and I use this tactic unless an arch-vile or mancubus comes in to ruin it all. There were no real surprises though. Except for me permanently missing one secret apparently, urgh, do not do that please.

Pistol Start: I'd say the hardest thing here are the barons. You want to ignore these dangerous snipers until you reach them directly, but its hard to do so in the center. I almost forget where the SSG was sometimes too. The area south of that is also quite tough, due to being warped into the trap. Despite all this the map doesn't really faze me as tough still.