Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Crumpets & Stardate 20X7 & Rush

MAP05 Vile House

A little less on the monsters here in this map, although the name can definitely put me in suspense. I hate arch-vile concept maps, luckily this one doesn't have too many and there's no real concepts so to speak. Going into places isn't really a problem, although the eastern room had one ambush that's hard to run away from (spectres!). Hardest bit was actually figuring out that you can actually make the cyber and the spider infight, especially on continuous (by the way, it's really a hassle for me to pistol start considering I keep overwriting my continuous save on accident, so I stopped doing that now). It's also totally feasible to sequence break to reach the red key early, I totally did that.

1 hour ago, Archi said:

+++ PRCP, SkepLand

Plutonia deserves more attention.

I'd try to join if PRCP gets picked +++PRCP

20 hours ago, Suitepee said:

I'd like to propose an interesting idea for a future Doomworld Megawad Club monthly pick; a joint merger between the Doomworld Ironman League and the DWMC!

Not a bad idea, but DWIL is more about pushing through a mapset at full speed whereas DWMC lets players play at their own pace. There are some maps where I like to play slowly and soak in the atmosphere, and I unfortunately can't do that with the Ironman League. I mean I could replay the mapset, but I'd rather play something I haven't experienced before.

Anyway, I like the idea of +++ Memento Mori 2. I was going to vote for HR2, but I figure we need more of a calm break from difficult sets and back to something familiar.

6 hours ago, Paul977 said:

I'd try to join if PRCP gets picked +++PRCP

Same. I actually started PRCP earlier this year, but I stalled out at MAP31. If it gets picked, I'll happily dive back in.

Finally got around to finishing off Crumpets, i know everyone else probably moved on but i'll add my thoughts anyway.

Masquerade

Ok, damn, things get tight in this map. Confined rocket launcher action is always intense and entertaining. Getting the SSG ASAP ultimately seemed to be a good solution and indeed it helped a lot in those in your face encounters. Wasn't really a fan of this one overall though, it felt like most of the difficulty was in simply knowing where to go.

Frog and Toad

I got immensely pissed off with this until i figured out how to dance through the start - after that it was a really, really fun map. The megasphere pit felt like a bit of a troll so left it and just went back with the bfg, which made it a trivial fight. I'm no speedrunner but i feel like this would be a fun map to try and do quickly, basically get the bfg as fast as you can then take everything out. Probably my favourite map so far.

Shamu

No wait, actually this was even better than 7. Fucking brilliant. I remember Suitepee struggling this one on stream so thought it would be a very difficult map, but it wasn't actually so bad. Unlike previous maps there was some room for improvisation and i enjoy playing that way. I didn't even get or need the secret SSG for this one :P  My strategy was to grab the Plasma Gun then immediately go down to the secret rocket launcher. Put the Cyb to work and let him do everything, once he was done, telefrag him and go up to the top. Run past the pillars with the viles and let the revs out, then go back to where you teleport up and kill everything from that spot with the masses of plasma. After that the map was relatively easy, just a case of doing the remaining fights. Perhaps it helped that i quickly found a good (intended?) route but i had so much fun on this one.

Crackerjack

A slow start this time, and it was a nice change of pace not having to run around like a twat figuring out what the best approach was. This map generally felt a little easier than the prior maps - the yellow key ambush being the only really scary part. Fortuitously i found most secrets, but i DIDN'T find the 2nd Mastermind telefragger and they ultimately came in very useful as cyb distractions in the final fight.

Final thoughts: i went into this thinking it would be absolutely brutal but maps were generally (surprisingly) manageable for me, even on UV pistol starts. 5 and 6 were probably the trickiest generally i think. I remain astonished at the build times on these maps. I really appreciated the structure of each map and how they were all basically a single large structure/area with encounters pocketed away throughout. Despite some inevitable moments of frustration i had a blast overall.

I'm a big Plutonia fan so have switched my vote to the PRCP/Skepland combo, i'm actually surprised that PRCP hasn't been played yet. MM2 is cool as well though.

27 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

+++ MM2

Won't post but I'll at least play it with the club.

flammable opinion, but if you vote for a wad, you should be playing AND posting about it if it wins.

also +++PRCP (why are some people voting Skepland?)

41 minutes ago, Marcaek said:

Stream? : ]

ok maybe fine i guess

33 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

flammable opinion, but if you vote for a wad, you should be playing AND posting about it if it wins.

The few times I've tried posting, I lost steam after maybe seven maps. I dunno, it just doesn't work well for me.

Edited by AD_79

27 minutes ago, NuMetalManiak said:

PRCP (why are some people voting Skepland?)

Good question.  PRCP is already a 32 level set.  Why would we need a second wad for the month if it wins?

32 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

ok maybe fine i guess

The few times I've tried posting, I lost steam after maybe seven maps. I dunno, it just doesn't work well for me.

IMO, streaming the wad and posting a link to it counts as participating.

2 hours ago, NuMetalManiak said:

I generally like this rule but as long as people play along it's fine—the FAQ in the OP states you don't have to post to participate.

And yeah, Skepland isn't getting picked along with PRCP. My personal rule is that a mapset needs at least four maps to be included, so that way we're not just shoving mapsets in to fill all the days of the month.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's the tally:

PRCP 7 votes

MM2 7 votes

14 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

And yeah, Skepland isn't getting picked along with PRCP. 

That's fine, but almost every set of 4-6 maps would describe 'shoving mapsets in to fill all days of the month' better than Skepland's three maps, two of which have speedrun max times of 29:xx and 46:xx respectively. Those are big maps. 

24 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

two of which have speedrun max times of 29:xx and 46:xx respectively 

And if I had any interest in Skepland, it just evaporated :)

I've played some wads alongside the club but never posted before.

However, next month I'm planning on joining for the first time, so I'm going to vote if that's ok.

+++PRCP