Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Red

Endings that always suck no matter how they are done

Like "they travel back in time and undo everything" 

Cannot think of a single thing that ends like that and didn't suck

Are there any other specific kinds of endings that just kill it for you?

5 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Sure, the utterly lame horror film twist of 'the Evil has survived'.

I myself don't agree there, though I can agree on certain cases. The thing is in a lot of horror movies I'm almost rooting for the villain. We all love Jason, him smashing through something like Jaws at the end is always a "hell yeah" moment. Ditto for a similar thing at the end of a Nightmare on Elm Street film. So I want that ending, and it comes across as badass.

(There are so many of both series and I didn't specify which ones, so hopefully that's vague enough for spoilers. Watch them anyway folks! Especially Nightmare 1 and Friday 2, 4 and 6. And Freddy vs Jason.)

I really can't think of many specific rules that I don't like no matter how it's done. I agree undoing everything somehow comes across as cheap and I don't generally dig it. There is an anime in particular where everybody who died along the way comes back at the end, found it to be rather weak. Also whatever we call the ending of the series Evangelion. I guess the "ran out of money" ending.

I hate when a fantastic mystery in an otherwise realistic novel just happens to be really fantastic (with shown proof), and all the skeptics are considered fools after that. Examples:

• The religious wonder allegations happen to be real. The skeptical side character who always looked for logical explanation is now mad, and the protagonist just became a devout believer who stopped asking questions. It's really bad when he decides to destroy some honest-to-goodness proof as well.
  • The serial killer who looks like a vampire werewolf happens to indeed be one, instead of somebody with elaborate Scooby Doo-like setups enacting scenes to both kill people and scare communities. Again, the simple-minded loon who believes in vampires and witches turns out to be right.
Edited by printz

"The answer is something nobody will expect"

*its exactly what people expected*

Fuck Jason Todd 

A character's redemption requires their death.

I hate this so, so, so much. It's like saying that if you've done bad things in your life, you're tainted forever, and the only way you can make things right is to die in the service of people who are inherently better than you. I can't abide by that.

Doesn't all these thing yall mentioning tie in with western core beliefs... eh Christianity? Sorry I forgot the rest I was going to write here. Whatever, what is a stereotypical japanese movie ending?

31 minutes ago, NeedHealth said:

Whatever, what is a stereotypical japanese movie ending?

For games it's "And then the teenagers punched God in the dick and super killed Him, all was well. The end"

26 minutes ago, Memfis said:

When lesbians end up being just friends. Fuck that.

I refuse to rewatch the last 10 or so minutes of Kissing Jessica Stein because of this.

13 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Cliffhangers

Those really suck, especially when the movie is a failure economically and they never make a sequel!!!

I can think of almost every single super hero movie where the evil villain has a fool proof plan to dominate or destroy all life yet they lose for stupid reasons anyways that are even more unrealistic then that fact that its a superhero movie to begin with.

Or whenever the hero or heroes gains a powerful ability to defeat the overpowered villain only to lose that power right after or never use it again for some reason.

When the villain wins temporarily and stands there boasting for just enough time to get killed.....yet the heroes waste no time at all with dialog and just kill the villain in a heartbeat.

Dont get me wrong I love superhero movies but they are soo predictable...good will win no matter how good the villain is.  

57 minutes ago, Memfis said:

When lesbians end up being just friends. Fuck that.

Or killed. Or with one of them fucking a guy. Or seperated bcuz they're actually straight. arrrrrggggghhhhhh

45 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Killing great evil without a single loss through the power of friendship and love.

cuz that works in real life all the time!

The last 10 minutes of a movie are to setup a sequel.

Let's talk about television. The new model for "serial television" is to take the first five minutes that would start an episode and add it as the last five minutes of the previous episode.

When he pulls out and blows on her back *cough* I'd say any kind of ensemble ending where characters are mysteriously better somehow despite wounds or injuries that appeared fatal. Or coming back "from death" to resolve a hitherto-impossible endgame as a kind of necrotic deus ex machina.

I could name so many, but I'll only say sequel-bait endings.

10 hours ago, stru said:

"To win the game, you must kill me, John Romero"

No one had won the game yet. We have all failed. It has become so clear now.

As long as John Romero lives we are all losers.

That is interesting how a long time ago they used to say "win" the game instead of "beat" (or defeat) or "complete."

Here's an easy one: a plain screen that says "Congratulations!" and maybe some short text afterward, nothing proper to actually reward the player with.

Far too common in 8-bit era games.