Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Specific things you really like in WADs

Can range from anything to maps, music, textures...anything contained in a WAD file or release, basically (and maybe text files as a bonus).

One specific thing I really liked about Icarus: Alien Vanguard which I'm not sure if anyone else noticed or felt the same about was the last stretch of midis in the maps from about MAP24 to the end really give you the sense that you're approaching the end of the game. That upbeat sound to MAP24 that makes you feel like running around, to MAP25 having a sort of mysterious foreboding atmosphere while remaining upbeat for the action, to the sinister Weapons Bay, to the enigmatic Starhenge, to the appropriately titled "FastTrack" of MAP28 heating things up, to the wild ride of MAP29's fast-paced techno...and finally the end level midi going for the more reserved and calming string music to let you know that this is the end of it all followed by the end music of MAP31's, "Gresta" sending the adventure off like an unsolved mystery. I was always really fascinated by that even from the first time I ever played that megawad and just felt like posting a place like this where I could talk about it. Each one of those maps midis give me the impression, "You're getting closer to the end" and it motivates me to survive to the best of my ability just to live up to that expectation and save mankind. It's one of the more powerful impressions I've gotten from midi music in a Doom WAD.

I like how the map actually requires your planning to lower the difficulty (don't know whether this is precisely described), usually on non-linear maps. Also, on some of the maps, you need to observe the surrounding for you to have a better understanding how to make this encounter easier. Another thing about map designs is that designs can trigger your thoughts. One thing I like Map08 from D2 is due to this. Probably it's kind of a "WTF" feeling at first when you saw there are 8 doors, but my feeling is kind of like "What could possibly be behind these doors? Something terrifying?", and I'm just eager and curious to find out, so this is one reason I like that map so much.

Now I'm listening to the music you are talking about. Probably need some time to say something about that. Musics are kind of tough to describe since I'm not really have opinions.

Music. If the music sucks/is boring, the map will be the same. If it's catchy and satisfying, <3

*loads up Doom2 MAP01*

I like when wads do a uniform exit/start system, like in Plutonia, Icarus, and KSutra. Just a nice touch.

@valkiriforce Yeah, I always really loved the Midis in Icarus. Highly varied in genres and tone. 

4 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Too many specifics to name, but I always appreciate it when authors introduce weapons and difficulty slowly throughout a wad.

im completely the opposite - too many wads have the mentality: E1 is the imps and sg episode, E2 is the ssg/cg HKs & cacos episode.

of course, giving you everything in map01-30 can be just as bad but variety and unpredictability is important in such an old game.

I really like it when textures are more consistent and fewer of them are used in any given area.  Not fewer linedefs, but a smaller set of textures.  Otherwise, to me at least, it starts looking like a garbled and incoherent mess.

I also really like it when part of the difficulty comes from evil traps and inescapable pits of death.

More linear maps and ones that rely less on huge outdoor areas you constantly revisit or work through for most of the level are also things I really enjoy.

Oh! I love those short-challenging megawads like Scythe! Also, when music is replaced with famous metal song, just like Scythe too.

And I really love Medieval themes, with a bit of forest and jungles. Its just my taste.

I really like bizarre/unorthodox architecture and sector shapes. Like there's a difference between going up a regular ascending staircase that's rectangular, and one where there are these huge triangular steps curving into a spiral with monsters popping out from the front and back of the player with windows all around the surrounding space. You could take advantage and place cacodemons outside so they're hovering out there firing at the player while the player is distracted by monster closets opening from the surrounding wall of the staircase. It's that kind of setup that excites me and makes me appreciate the architecture and compliments the gameplay altogether.

I like when original iwad textures are used to create beautiful scenarios aesthetically talking. BTSX palette makes red, blue and green look really nice. Purple is one of the most rare colors in Doom, yet is one of my favourites in the game, I even took a picture and used it as desktop wallpaper:

doom07.png.f7eead776155dcb71e168904a96b0355.png

It looks darker here though... 

On 9/2/2017 at 9:20 PM, YukiRaven said:

More linear maps and ones that rely less on huge outdoor areas you constantly revisit or work through for most of the level are also things I really enjoy.

Yep, linearity rocks! Currently playing  Dark Covenant, and it's a revelation to experience a wad that concentrates on straightforward blasting rather than confronting one with time-wasting puzzles and gimmicks at regular intervals.

I really enjoy linedef actions. I like when lifts go up and down, doors automatically open for you (except in Icarus,) trap doors open up, lights shut off, crushing ceilings, building bridges, draining liquids, monsters descending from falling pillars, stairs building themselves, teleporting monsters, shootable walls/breakable glass, etc.

Theres a lot of great stuff that Doom can do and when it is taken advantage of, the map feels very animated and fun to experience.

Atmospheric, doom 1 style maps with less monsters. Enormous slaughtermaps of open arena after open arena make me press quit.

Also, creatively reusing weaker monsters. I particularly love zombieman ambushes/snipers on later maps; used properly those basic troopers can actually be fairly dangerous believe it or not.

I really like the text file included with Deus Vult 2, which includes elaborate explanations about the levels, lots of random stuff and doom wisdoms like "windows are multiplicators of detail".

On 1/9/2017 at 1:40 AM, Voros said:

Music. 

Same here.

Also, animated textures or structures are pretty damn awesome.

When the ultimate and the penultimate levels feels accordingly. I always expect the penultimate level to be hard and rather long, like some sort of a fortress protecting whatever is on the last level, like the enemy is throwing everything they got on you before you reach your goal. That's why I like Back to Saturn X Episode 1 so much, I think Tough Skin River is an excellent penultimate level followed by an excellent ultimate level. 

Also areas with absolutely no monsters. I think that sometimes entire areas that are meant for atmosphere can be really enjoyable and fascinating. Bonus points if the music adds to that said atmosphere. 

I don't have some specific things that I like. As long as I have fun for the maps, I'll like it

I'm a sucker for maps with custom monsters/weapons - I played a lot of SP Quake back in the day and many of the most renowned mapsets contained at least a handful of custom enemies. As a result the first time I discovered DECORATE was a revelation. It's always great to see the same sort of thing in Doom maps, especially if it results in really good boss fights.

I'm not a huge fan of straight gameplay mods though ...

On 9/2/2017 at 1:20 PM, YukiRaven said:

I really like it when textures are more consistent and fewer of them are used in any given area. 

Totally agree. Something like Sunder absolutely blew me away with how effective and bold just a complementary textures can be.

I also absolutely adore the level names in that WAD. Good level names are a true art: they're literally the first step to evoking the atmosphere you want from the level.

True example: upon flicking through the level list for Sunlust, I saw the final level is called God Machine. On the basis of that alone, I downloaded the wad just to find out what kind of experience builds up to a level called that.

I'm a sucker for dark lighting in hell-themed maps with brighter lava and blood sectors.  

I also love outdoor areas, puzzles and clever secrets.