Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Osiris

Played in the past, I can hardly remember anything

Died on MAP04 (BK trap, I vaguely remember something evil there...)

MAP01, a bit of panic, but managed to get through

MAP02, lost! Over half an hour. At least I got some valuable items

MAP03, that was quicker

I enjoyed labirynthine MAP02-MAP03 much more than before (2011?). And discovered an ugly Hall of Mirrors on MAP04. Good WAD!

oriris-ironman-vdgg.zip

Gonna be playing this in a little bit. Haven't played the mapset, though I did IDCLEV around just to make sure the dehacked worked. https://www.twitch.tv/dobu_gm

EDIT: Survived in 1:24:21!

The set is easy, but in a deceptive way. The hardest part about it is suddenly adjusting yourself to the new sounds & sprites and not getting freaked out about it, which can be difficult if you wanna play like a speed demon. Playing recklessly and not keeping an eye out for baddies around corners is a good way for Osiris to show you the sepulcher, but it's definitely survivable if you take your time. Of course, as the month drags on I'm sure we'll see a majority of people surviving (and in better times than I), which means that in spite of it being an "easy" set competition will still be fierce. Good luck to those going in blind; at least two maps have a ton of optional content for the player to explore, and I managed to run into almost all of it :(

Spoiler

Also "lol" at the archvile—the dude has been embarrassingly neutered.

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Finished in 32:47 completely blind.

DWIronman_osiris_BlooditeKrypto.zip

As soon as I saw the weapon sprite replacements I knew I'd not played this before. The one I recall playing in the 90's featured the HUD face with those shades seen in Deus Vult II.

Pretty stellar set and that's not just because I'm smitten for all things Egyptian :3

The modifications to enemies and pickup messages is awesome, 'A measly stimpack' brilliant! :D The Flamethrower is kick ass, essentially an alternative plasma rifle without the delay after you stop firing, making it effective for rushing and barbequeing the hordes away. The Archvile Pharoah is intriguing, slow yet packing a powerful punch, pretty daunting in close quarters! Good navigational awareness combined with using the automap meant I didn't get lost much ;)

Nicely done, Bloodite. Very sportsmanlike of you to set a target for the rest of the month, as I'm sure the rest of the competition would have felt safe in the knowledge that Ancalagon's time couldn't be beaten by much. Especially not blind...

I'm going to have to take my chances and step on the gas, next time. I don't know how, but I did a very good job of misjudging the speed with which some players would get through this one. It's going to put me in the red come the end of September for sure, unless I get lucky and a few people die trying to reach the 30 minute threshold.

My favorite maps/wads I've played 4, 5, 6 times. Osiris though is unique in that I've played the whole thing through at least 3 dozen times. I actually am unimpressed by the dehacked work, my love stems simply from the level design... it has this iwad sort of quality and style/abstraction but very heavy on exploration (not in the switch hunt way) and there's a lot of places where the level changes lightness and shape that make it endlessly entertaining for me.

THAT SAID, knowing this wad my whole adult life and attempting to be speedy, I can't touch Bloodite's time:

Spoiler

33:09

Watched Bloodite's run, nice work but there's no way it's blind haha. I got lost in my run too, it's what the wad was designed to get you to do, nothing to be embarrassed about

14 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Hide contents

Also "lol" at the archvile—the dude has been embarrassingly neutered.

I think I have a surprise for you -- the Pharaoh is not an Archie. It uses the Archie sprite animation, but the underlying monster is an Arachnotron. Indeed, when I played Osiris on the Mac using Doominator to apply the DeHacked patch, the Pharaoh shot a Plasma Gun instead of the Super Fireballs, which made it much more dangerous.

You can see it in DB as well. I first learned about it when I wrote Glen Payne to express my slobbering worship for this mapset, and I talked about the hilarious surprise when the Pharaoh dropped off the cliff in Map07. He said it was an unexpected consequence of using a sprite so much smaller than the Arachnotron's hitbox, so basically, it moves the center of the Arachnotron right to the edge and, I guess, tips it over, dropping it down. So far, it's happened in every stream I watched.

As for the Archie itself, I believe it was turned into a sound, the way the Cyb and Mastermind were.

Further fun fact -- as I mentioned on your stream, the sound of the Pharaoh is based on a Jimi Hendrix guitar riff. I forgot which one at the time, but it's from "Are You Experienced?" Which makes it ironic that the map titled "R U Experienced?" does not have a Pharaoh in it. ;D

To add to Steve D's explanation, when you pick the flamethrower up, instead of the usual pickup message, "Are You Experienced" is printed. 

43 minutes ago, Steve D said:

He said it was an unexpected consequence of using a sprite so much smaller than the Arachnotron's hitbox, so basically, it moves the center of the Arachnotron right to the edge and, I guess, tips it over, dropping it down.

Makes no sense, TBH. Sprites don't affect anything. Even if they did, in vanilla Doom a monster gets stuck on the edge, it doesn't fall over.

Isn't it just some dehacked flag that allows monsters to drop down? I've seen this stuff in Eternal's "Eden" before.

50 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Makes no sense, TBH. Sprites don't affect anything. Even if they did, in vanilla Doom a monster gets stuck on the edge, it doesn't fall over.

And yet, it does fall over.  But you're probably right, because . . .

@Memfis " . . . dehacked flag . . . " You could be on to something. When I first saw it happen in '96 or '97, I was amazed. Maybe Glen Payne didn't know for sure, either, and assumed it was the mismatch between the sprite and the hitbox. I'm sure Obsidian can answer this.

Checked osiris.deh in WhackEd, and yes, the Arachnotron has the "Travels over cliffs" flag checked.

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

Checked osiris.deh in WhackEd, and yes, the Arachnotron has the "Travels over cliffs" flag checked.

Thanks, scifista42! That's a cool flag. I wonder why it isn't used more often?

Most DEHACKED monster modders just let their monsters have the same flags as the stock monsters, as it's the easiest and safest thing to do and usually sufficient for anything non-gimmicky. This particular flag also has potential to make monsters fall into pits that they can't get out of, so maps involving these monsters would need to be made carefully. Also don't forget that collisions between solid actors still work as if they're infinitely tall, making good usage of the flag even harder.

Edited by scifista42

30 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

This particular flag also has potential to make monsters fall into pits that they can't get out of, so maps involving these monsters would need to be made carefully.

Good point. I can see in my head where cliff-diving Pinkies would be super-cool, but if you made a whole mapset instead of one map designed to exploit that feature, the issues you speak of could become a major problem.

New sprites?  8 maps?  Released in the '90s?

For once, I'm going to make the extra effort to route this, partly because I don't want to wonder "what does this thing do?" during my recording, partly because I'd like to prove to myself I have the skills to survive.  Still an even chance I'll fail on map 1, those shotgunners are scary.

On 1/9/2017 at 6:36 AM, guineu said:

A map set that can be easily completed on a blind run? This is my time to shi-- oh fuck what's happening??

Not sure if I broke something and it was my fault or prboom+ glitched in some way. The recorded demo reproduces the problem so with my limited knowledge I assume it's something engine related?

Anyway it was funny experiencing this, here's the full demo: guineu_ironman_osiris_prboom+_2.5.1.4.zip

So yeah... Map03.

Just... GG man. GG 

Demo is here.  As stated earlier, I planned the path I would take before recording.  This included playing through each map at least once both with and without monsters and sometimes more.  Did a few practice runs too, the one that made it past map 1 met it end by getting blindsided by a chaingunner in 7.  Safety was the main priority for the route I chose, even spending extra time to kill off things that might pull infinite tallness shemanigans later.  Ending each map as healthy as possible was the other priority, taking extra time to end each map with the best stats I could get.  My routing also takes into consideration which fights to run past and which monsters I can avoid by never activating them.

Battle plans:

Spoiler

Map 1: I go for the armor in the secret even though that releases more enemies.  If needed at the end, make a detour for the armor hidden there.

Map 2; Detour for SSG and backpack.  Make a trick jump to red key after cleaning out anything waiting below.  in this run, a hellknight cleared out some hitscanners for me which was extra lucky.  Kill off anything on path until yellow key door.  Race past everything only wiping out chaingunners.  Detour for Skull of Ra, run to blue key and leave only shooting shotgunners on the path.

Map 3: There is a possibility of hitting a switch early to skip part of the map but I ignore it since going through the normal path gives access to some goodies I find useful as well as well as clearing out resistance around the last red shield I grab.  Ignore most monsters once yellow key is in hand.  At the end of the lava river, I take out bats, revenants, and mancubus with flamethrower.  Shotgunner falls to infighting.  I then grab skull power and invisibility and race out only shooting a few weaklings on the path.

Map 4: I end up not using the first skull power which saves the hassle of dealing with around a dozen enemies.  No real tricks here, just planning and execution.

Map 5: Other than carefully edging out to reveal the switch that lowers the red key, not much to say other than routing.  I do take the time to top off health and armor as much as I can (there are a lot of single bonuses to do this with) before the blue key setpiece.  There, I run for the door and don't hang around.  Just sprint for the exit only killing hitscanners on my path.

Map 6: I found a safe way of handling the hitscanners around the red key.so the rest of the map is just being ready for traps.  Also have a plan for the invisibility.  The Skull of Ra I only take when I'm ready to cross the point of no return, ignoring the released monsters.  Kill everything on way to blue key, then rush past everything left.

Map 7: At the start, aggressively taking out chaingunners is key.  Conservative play handles the rest of the map.  It's important to be ready for the warp in by the Skull of Ra which I grab before entering the blue door.  There's a revenant on an overlook I take extra time to clear out before proceeding.  Rest is straightforward.

Map 8: Not hard.  Most of the map can be skipped so I do so.  There are some monsters that may get in the way with infinite height so I take the time to eliminate that risk, small as it may be.

Spoiler

All this planning and I died.  Map 6.  Got too gungho with the first pharouh archvile and paid the price though it was another that dealt the deathblow.

Next month, I going back to charging in without extensive preparation or practice.

dwiron_osiris_cnr.zip

I did it! Survived an Ironman with only an hour and some change to spare :P Pretty good set of maps, though a lil hitscan heavy. This wad MUST be pretty easy if I can beat it lmao

I dunno if the demo will capture all the pausing I did, but my apologies for the length if that's the case. Had a lot of close calls!

i did it!.7z

Dead map04

osiriscb.zip

I can't offer too much else, too many hitscanners on the most part which bogs down the experience, yes I got stupidly lost on map01 despite the very obvious opening to get the yellow key. In the end said hitscanners were my downfall taking away all my health and finished off by a sergeant near the start as I took a leap to grab some more health.

I died on map 4, I'm starting to believe that barrels are more dangerous than monsters.

And because I used glboom for this one (to avoid any bugs), you can also download the lmp: barrels.zip

MAP04

Fuck. I guess MAP02 and MAP03 were easy enough to make me complacent. You can see that I do some dumb blunders, including two failed attempts to get the supercharge, with the resulting baths in slime not helping my situation. And then the nest of snipers finished me off with a death of a thousand cuts. (EDIT: In retrospect, my careless behavior during the first meeting with revenants near the end of map03 was probably the beginning of the end.)

Overall this mapset feels like a mixed bag. The music is pretty cool but the new sounds are damn annoying (except for the cool chanting ambient sound I guess).

Edited by JudgeDeadd

26 minutes ago, JudgeDeadd said:

The music is pretty cool but the new sounds are damn annoying (except for the cool chanting ambient sound I guess).

I agree with everything said here.