Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Osiris

1 hour ago, Sparktimus said:

I'm new to ironmanning on this place, so I wanna ask. What does it mean to get a "green"?

Surviving a mapset is noted in the spreadsheet as a green block. 

Hey folks, I wanted to chime in here and say how awesome it is to see people playing this mod after so many years. I remember playing through "I, Anubis" somewhere around the time Icarus was released and thinking to myself "I need to be involved in this!". It's the only project where I contacted the authors and asked if I could write music for them. 

I have a playlist of the soundtrack on YouTube, including some material that didn't get used and a longer version of Map02's music: 

Also, original MIDI files available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B79YBwbj0yrTRUx2X3FZamhmZ1E

Thanks for listening!

10 hours ago, an_mutt said:

I'm dumb and nearly forgot to link my stream from the other night. Died on map 06 to the first custom enemy of the wad I guess. \_o_/

...but birds are custom enemies (lost soul replacement, HP reduced to 70), sergeants are super fast and have HP 40 and imp replacement has HP reduced to 50 (the last one is easy to overlook, I admit).

Beaten in 1:15ish. Yeah this was relatively easy, although i had one close call and those Vile Pharaoh things do pack a punch. Got lost a few times. I dread to think what insane horror Alfonzo has in store to balance things out next month...

Made it as well, with some limited preknowledge thanks to watching parts of Archi's stream.

Osiris is a pretty cool wad considering its release date, with lots of exploration and nice ambient sounds.
The new sprites were ok... Didn't like the new weapons though, their sprites eat up a lot of screen space and I never felt comfortable using them as a result. And it seems you never have to rely on them anyway.

Osiris-Ironman-57XX-wh.zip

Veinen, RjY and Demon are yet to do a time, man, it's killing me! I honestly think they could shake the order up, potentially one of them even winning! Bumping this bc yeah nearly end of the month

@NaZa Thanks for the reminder, I've been busy with 300minvr but I do intend to enter this month. It might be it's-still-September-somewhere-in-the-world late though. Also looking forward to @Suitepee's entry,@an_mutt could have had the britbowl sewn up this month but his fall at map06 leaves his opponent with a massive opportunity that he cannot afford to miss. No pressure John!!

Survived in 1:10:20. Nice to finally survive another one! This one was mostly blind except for bits and pieces of the first few maps, and screening the map04 barrel trap that most likely would have killed me had I not known about it. Not too shabby, this one.

osiris_64.zip

Edited by Bashe

I'm finally going to do my Ironman run (hopefully) tomorrow evening at around 6-7pm GMT, depending on when I get back from work. Sorry for making everyone wait for this, but I've been busy with work and RL stuff to livestream very much this month.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178439293 = survived in 2:00:21.

The easiest Ironman wad yet (or at least on par with Vae Victus 2), and I'm happy to get my second survival green block as well as make it 4-5 in the Britbowl between myself and an_mutt, to at least keep it competitive until November. Osiris was pretty fun to playthrough with a good soundtrack (except for getting the sound glitch on map 6 for the ENTIRE level!), decent level design (the ending was a bit underwhelming) and a good sense of atmosphere.

Now I only fear what monster of a wad Alfonzo will pick for October....I'm expecting something spooky still.

Survival unsurprising given usual preparation, but the time was unexpected.

Spoiler

MAP01  85/106   21   137/169  1/1  3:37+07  3:37
MAP02  100/123  23   19/53    2/2  6:50+30  10:27
MAP03  149/195  46   58/109   4/9  8:12+26  18:39
MAP04  149/178  29   40/74    4/4  7:18+22  25:57
MAP05  72/179   107  97/240   0/2  2:41+11  28:38
MAP06  19/113   94   2/24     0/1  2:04+29  30:42
MAP07  181/222  41   49/51    5/6  8:16+31  38:58
MAP08  130/137  7    2/2      0/0  6:26+24  45:24

All right actual first Ironman choice that I hadn't played before. I tend to avoid wads with gameplay changes, custom monsters / weapons, etc. Perhaps unwise, as I miss out on some great wads, but I often find them annoying for whatever reason. Here for example the rocket launcher is replaced with a flamethrower. Advantages are faster firing and no self-damage - in fact it's more like a plasma gun - but the thing has a rather short maximum range, removing the ability to do high damage at safe ranges, a prime use for the original weapon in a survive-at-all-costs recording. And then the actual plasma gun, it covers your view, and sounds like - well, while the original plasma gun has a reputation for being annoyingly loud and harsh on the ears, the "Are You Experienced" Electric Injector sounds like an ongoing industrial accident, which put the factory out of commission for weeks, live in your living room. But I digress.

Preparation:

- Played each map from a pistol start to learn them and get used to the graphics, sounds, and gameplay changes

- Realised there's probably a lot of shortcuts to take - it's an old wad with lots of optional areas, either by intention or oversight, and also that lots of monsters can be left alone relatively safely (I usually find leaving monsters alive causes more problems later)

- Did a practice run of the whole wad.

- Studied the maps to figure out a route through some of the more labyrinthine areas. I didn't want to get frustrated by being lost for long periods during the real recording.

On the other hand, I didn't watch any other recordings, either from other ironman participants, or speedruns/demos. So I likely missed more shortcuts than I found, but that's fine, I'd rather have fun looking for them.

Commentary:

1 - Bit of a slow start. It doesn't give you a weapon immediately and the environment is rather cramped. I visit some secrets to get armour, especially with all the bullet (hitscan) enemies. It opens out nicely post-Stargate though. Grab more armour and charge for exit. A nice thing about this wad - it gives you tons of health/armour/ammo so you don't have to worry too much about small damages.

2 - This map is quite a maze. Impressed to one-shot the lost soul replacement, until I realised they only have 70 health. I go for the backpack secret early and kill the hellknight guarding the combat armour (I hesitate to call it blue, because it's red) before teleporting up, for safety. I still got a bit lost. There's probably a comedy shortcut to cut most of the map out somewhere but I never found it.

3 - Slow one. I forgot the wall that raises up after you take the combat armour and area map actually has a switch on it, and I spent too long clearing areas past the yellow doors that I could have ignored completely. Still impressive how you can basically ignore entire areas. A modern map wouldn't let you get away with grabbing the yellow key and legging it. Finally, what's with that plasma pack on the plinth after the stargate? Is it meant to be untouchable?

4 - A glimpse of the exit right by the start. If there's a clever way to skip the whole map, I didn't spot it. Nice missing texture on the lift by the first soulsphere! With foreknowledge the run-ending blue key trap is no trouble - simply shoot the barrels from a safe distance. It's also strange that you're not blocked in and forced to teleporter out - I suppose the door being openable from the inside is an oversight. On the way back to the start, I think I managed to avoid setting off several traps. I didn't really plan for that. I think the authors were booby-trapping various items assuming the player would collect them, whereas in a continued run many can be ignored. It's also interesting to note there is a very thin type 11 exit damage sector opposite the red key, you might be able to use it to get a slightly quicker exit if you don't care about starting the next level with <10% health. I'd rather have the health though.

5 - This was always going to be a short one, as I had found the strafe jump the first time I saw the map, and realised it would allow skipping the majority and two keys, during preparation. Fortunately, I also realised during preparation that getting the blue key and surviving the ensuing teleporter requires some care, rushing it is unwise.

6 - All right I was expecting this to be a long one but looking over the map just before starting the recording I thought "hang on I bet those vine column things have 32 unit gaps between them" and yes. So I basically skipped almost the whole level. You do have to watch though as you drop down right next to two of those pharoah-headed arachno-viles which will quickly douse you in surprisingly high-damage fireballs if you don't react appropriately. However pride and complacency comes before a fall, and I nearly fell on the way from the blue key to its door - I missed the leap across the channel, and was rended to 6% health by bullets, revenants, and a third pharoah-headed arachno-vile. So a bit of a panic to finish. There's another type 11 exit damage sector by the blue key but again I'd rather not, especially not the wide open start of the next map.

7 - This actually was a long one. I didn't bother to try to bump the blue key, it seems impossible. Still there's plenty of health on the way around to it (and a pharoah-headed arachno-vile stuck in a solid hanging corpse). I was a bit cautious clearing crossfires from the sides, but I'm still playing a lot more carelessly than I usually do in these contests, and I also still got a little bit lost finding the key, which is why I felt compelled to pick up the computer map. With key + megasphere (note the teleporter trap is triggered by the optional latter, not the mandatory former) I ran off through the blue door. Getting the red key was straightforward, my only non-obvious action was to wait a moment for the pharoah-headed arachno-vile to jump off the ledge (thus being able to abandon it) before going back up the stairs. The final part of the map could maybe get nasty if you don't realise there's an invulnerability available to deal with four pharoah-headed arachno-viles at once, but with it they are trivialised. I used the remaining damage-immune time to barge to the exit. The longest map, but only by 4 seconds.

8 - This seems kind of like a deathmatch level, with multiple routes around a central area, and powerful items like weapons and combat armour scattered around everywhere. It's annoying from pistol start having to pass several monsters before getting a decent weapon though. I had realised at the end of map 7 that I was exceedingly ahead of schedule, so I decided to clear map 8 instead of just going for the exit. I didn't get 100% kills but only because a few of them don't teleport for whatever reason. But it was all straightforward. The only potential trouble spot is if you try to rush the big staircase teleporter, so I didn't.

End result:

I was expecting to survive the wad, as many others have done already. Indeed with the preparation I do for these contests, in the face of many blind successes, it would have been embarrassing to fall early. However what I was not expecting was the time. My first and only full practice run took about 58 minutes, which I already thought was pretty quick. So to finish in 45½ minutes was I felt remarkable, and I am very pleased with it (which is probably obvious from how long the text file is). The practice run included the strafe jump on map05, but, as I said, not the squeeze between the vine columns on map06, which was a much later discovery, only this morning. But I don't think that can have saved as much as 15 minutes, so I guess the rest came from not wandering around so much on maps 2, 3 and 4.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178510625

Another disgusting display.  Twitch breaks when I attempt to make a highlight probably because nobody needs to see this.
See you next time there is an alleged cakewalk wad again so I can somehow fuck that up too.

Alas my predictions were true. @Veinen that's just incredible. You deserved such a result!

Now let's patiently wait for Demon of the Well.

edit: @Cynical what about your bet now? :(

Edited by NaZa

Well, this is just pitiful . . .

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ztc6xdmz92zdhoh/OsirisSD.lmp

I thought maybe, just maybe, the Ancient Keyboard Doomer might go all the way on my Ironman debut, but such was not to be, as once again, Map04 slapped me into a coma. At least I died in a different place than on my practice run, and at least I was in charge of the area that killed me before, where I'd been torn to pieces on the nukage lake by Chaingunners I never even saw. This time I killed all of those creeps but met my Waterloo when I ran out of radsuit and fell off the platforms leading to the BK -- twice! -- and died like a dog to nukage!!!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!  

It's a dreadful demo to watch. I think I had the "Ironman Virgin Jitters," as I played for the most part in a conservative, even cowardly manner, which almost got me killed early on Map02, when I hung back against that caged Hell Knight and was dropped to 3% health when he hit the barrels behind me. D'oh! I always charge that jagoff and never have a problem, but playing in safety-first mode was damn near suicidal. I almost died a couple more times on that map, and after getting myself back to good health I was down to 8% again after teleporting into the blue room loaded with Imps and bats. It was only by the grace of the RNG gods that I got past the blue shotgunner guarding the Red Armor. But I did have a lot of fun with the flamethrower room. These maps overall are very corridor-centric and full of squinchy areas that are tough on my keyboarding style. For any poor soul who watches this, you'll see that I keep bumping into walls and corners. Nuryev I'm not. But the flamethrower room had some space and it was a blast to dodge around while holding down the trigger. What a wonderful weapon this is, even though the flames occlude your view.

I had a much easier time of it on Map03 in spite of missing an important switch and having to backtrack. Combat was overall very easy and that open lava area at the end is one of the few that I played aggressively. Thanks to the almighty flamethrower, I can say without any false modesty that I tore that area a new one. Die, Revvies, die! :D This was one of only 2 moments I was proud of in the playthrough. The other was getting my health up to 173 in the first half of Map01, as opposed to my usual bleeding mess of blue man victimhood.

This wasn't a pure keyboard run. I used the mouse as a fire button and Use key. I'm not really practiced at this, so occasionally you'll see me shoot a switch when I hit the wrong button. And as my last whiney-ass moment, playing in PrBoom feels weird and I'm even clumsier than usual. But at least I didn't get the sound bug that makes a GZDoom playthrough so irksome. ;D

Now, for the sake of pride, I'll have to go back and beat this thing. I'll play in my normal savescumming mode but seek to survive, and maybe I'll figure out what went wrong at the platforming section. 

At least I had a chance to cheer on my man @Suitepee, who got all the way and played like a boss. :)

Welcome to the fray Steve! Just remember, it Could Be Worse™

I've actually played Doom a couple times this month, so I sure hope I'm in for a better result next month.

2 minutes ago, Steve D said:

the Ancient Keyboard Doomer

@Keyboard_Doomer is this your dad?

6 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Welcome to the fray Steve! Just remember, it Could Be Worse™

I've actually played Doom a couple times this month, so I sure hope I'm in for a better result next month.

I watched your run, and you got nailed by that Sneaky Second Blue Guy in the Lift Sequence. I've died to that jagoff a few times myself. Glen and Marshall did their job well at constructing hitscanner "gotcha!" scenarios, I must say. Map01 and Map04 are IMO the 2 toughest ones for that reason.

At least I learned how to write a batch file. I had no choice, since A) DoTW called me to the party, and B) No matter how many times I tried to launch this with ZDL, even using the built-in command line, it absolutely would not load the deh file correctly and I always got a Mastermind at the end of Map01. So now I've gained a little arcane computer knowledge. Pure win.

As for who I may have fathered, please, no paternity suits. ;D

4 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

can I take part in Ironman if I use a fork of prboom-plus that extends the reach of the fist?

Are there any other differences? If the root port is still available to you then I'd insist that you use prboom-plus proper. ZDoom and other distinct ports are accepted as a concession for a wider participation rate, by comparison, and not because flicking all the compatibility flags brings it sufficiently in line with the target port for demo recording.

11th hour and then some, as usual. Sorry, Alfonzo. Finished in 30:07. Still time for some unassuming speedster to beat this, too, I royally screwed up in a couple of different ways in the final map and must've lost at least 2 minutes as a result, likely more.

Not a blind run, obviously. I played and replayed Osiris a lot when I was just getting into PWADs, as the mystical Egyptian/desert Tomb theme has always been very alluring to me. I hadn't touched it in years before today, however, as since its release a number of other WADs with the same theme that suit me even more have appeared, and so I watched RjY's run to give myself a leg up on the terrain. Getting lost is more of a threat to a good run than the issue of survival in this WAD, I think, but it's certainly a little nastier than I remember it being, what with ALL the hitscanners. No wonder Steve adores it so.

I'm gong to post my video here soon it might be a tad late. I've been having issues with uploading videos from my computer.