Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Can I use 3D models to create true 3D levels?

Question

Normally Doom can't have true 3D even with Gzdoom, since technically 3D bridges aren't actually real 3D. But I was wondering, since Gzdoom supports 3D models is it possible to use them to create actual 3D? Or can 3D models only be placed on the floor and ceiling the same as 2D sprites?

13 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

My point was that the world actually FEELS 3D in that you can actually use your body/head to look around corners.

The inability to use your body/head to look around corners is not a limitation/feature of 3D geometry; it's a limitation of the player's model and behavior. In other words, you can create your fully 3D map with models, etc. and still not be able to do what you are proposing.

Returning to the original question for a moment, GZDooM 3D sectors can be used for the simple 3D constructs you require, with models supplementing for more complex shapes. For example, say you had one room above another and a stairway with an ornate banister (see below) running up along the stair. You could use a 3D sector for the upper floor, and models for the banister.

Example of ornate banister