Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FantasmeDel'Esprit54

Opinion: Beautiful Doom is underrated and Brutal Doom is boring

No mention of Random Deaths & Decoration?

I like consistency over randomness. I never tried your mod though, because of the name.

I should mention that Project Brutality is by another team and is not affiliated with Mark AFAIK.

Beautiful Doom is good but I personally don't like the blood. It looks like red water. My go-to combo when I want some vanilla-like gameplay is Smooth Doom monsters+Ketchup+Beautiful Doom everything else.

Brutal is really only fun when you play it like classic Doom instead of a modern military shooter. The latter is tempting, especially with the zombies doing more damage, but it's fun when you go balls-out, dodging leaping imps and circlestrafing Revenants with the minigun.

Also you're the third guy I've seen with the shaking Revenant profile pic. That skeleton seems to get around.

26 minutes ago, FantasmeDel'Esprit54 said:

This post got more popular then I thought it would be. Thanks guys!

Anything mentioning Brutal Doom kicks up a shitstorm.

13 hours ago, Glaice said:

No mention of Random Deaths & Decoration?

I actually really like RDnD quite a bit.  Not as 'all over the place' as the name might suggest.  It's a nice way to freshen up an old vanilla mapset - especially using Xaser's Argent mod.   ;)

@Glaice:  Glad you're still working on it.  Any chance of a compatibility patch for Ancient Aliens?  AA, Argent and RDnD would make a fine combination. :)

RDND is really toned down compared to even Smooth Doom. Most of the time monsters die in the usual way.

Still if you want an enhancement to use with a slaughtermap, you can use RDND.

The name should have been Dynamic Deaths and Decorations. This would at least imply that it has consistency.

Brutal Doom gives a sense of realism to Doom- not in the boring "let's die in one shot and move snail-slow" fashion, but in the pulpy "i'm a badass Marine fighting in a half-functional hellhole techbase full of bloodthirsty demons and possessed humans" sense. Also it adds a proper assault rifle which instantaneously makes me prefer it.

For me, Beautiful Doom always just... didn't feel like Doom. What with the random weirdly-drawn ricochets, the cowboy ricochet sound effects, random bugs here and there, and annoying things like having the second pistol after you grab it always stay hanging around the side of the screen.

Although, Brutal Doom seems to do it a bit better without treading onto modern military shooter like gameplay (slow movement, regenerating health, 2 weapon limit, limited sprint, "lots of weapons", etc).

I've tried many other reload mods out there, and by far, only Brutal Doom's reloading meshed alright with the frantic pace of Doom. Although it's a bit jarring to see the shotgun being reloaded so fast O.o but it's Doom after all.

But reloading truly doesn't fit in Doom that well. You'll always run out of ammo in the chamber and still be forced to run around more active demons and usually with no cover.

This is why I like mods like Smooth Doom. It enhances Doom visually but in the end, it's good ol' classic Doom.

Just now, Voros said:

Although, Brutal Doom seems to do it a bit better without treading onto modern military shooter like gameplay (slow movement, regenerating health, 2 weapon limit, limited sprint, "lots of weapons", etc).

I've tried many other reload mods out there, and by far, only Brutal Doom's reloading meshed alright with the frantic pace of Doom. Although it's a bit jarring to see the shotgun being reloaded so fast O.o but it's Doom after all.

But reloading truly doesn't fit in Doom that well. You'll always run out of ammo in the chamber and still be forced to run around more active demons and usually with no cover.

This is why I like mods like Smooth Doom. It enhances Doom visually but in the end, it's good ol' classic Doom.

For me, BD's reloading forces me to diversify what weapons I use. If I'm out of shotgun ammo, I switch to my rifle or super shotgun. What's more, the lightning-fast weapon switches and ancillary actions (such as ironsights) lets me chain attacks; compared to stock Doom, I tend to perform long-range rifle headshots when confronted by a faraway Imp rather than simply zooming up to them with the Super Shotgun out and blasting them away.

For me, the only thing that I truly admire about Brutal Doom are the dynamic deaths they have. IIRC, Mark uses hitboxes to achieve this.

Normally, firing my shotgun at a zombieman's leg causes it to get a shot in the chest or something. In BD, the leg/legs do come off.

This is something I've always loved and hope there will a standalone mod with this feature only. All the other features (minus the gore) are unnecessary, for me.

Brutal Doom fan here. I love most features on it. I really like one shotting a Cacodemon with a SSG and I like the hitscanners having tracers instead. Reloading works by me based on what I and others has already explained in other threads.

I don't think it's worth hating on the mod for Sgt Mark's reputation. I find him friendly enough and he even offered to help me with a wad once.

11 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

For me, BD's reloading forces me to diversify what weapons I use. If I'm out of shotgun ammo, I switch to my rifle or super shotgun. What's more, the lightning-fast weapon switches and ancillary actions (such as ironsights) lets me chain attacks; compared to stock Doom, I tend to perform long-range rifle headshots when confronted by a faraway Imp rather than simply zooming up to them with the Super Shotgun out and blasting them away.

Almost completely negated by headshot rockets\plasma killing everything and even then some more. You can already massacre imps with the chaingun in vanilla doom why is the ssg (the worst sniping weapon, after fist\chainsaw at least) even part of the comparison?

11 hours ago, Voros said:

The shotgun reload is much faster than in most games, but it's still horribly slow for a game as fast-paced as Doom. The plasma's reload is also much too slow, less so with the SSG, since it does receive a damage boost and can one-shot Revenants (if lucky) and Cacodemons. Only the assault rifle's reload is perfect IMO: slow enough to affect your tactical decisions, and yet fast enough to not interrupt the gameplay.

Brutal Doom actually fits gameplay with reloading quite well. All the monsters sans Archvile are projectile, so you can keep dodging instead of running for cover.

Yes, you can circlestrafe Spider Masterminds.

16 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Almost completely negated by headshot rockets\plasma killing everything and even then some more. You can already massacre imps with the chaingun in vanilla doom why is the ssg (the worst sniping weapon, after fist\chainsaw at least) even part of the comparison?

Rockets can't headshot IIRC, about as effective as vanilla RL but it has to reload (6 rockets why). Plasma's only a little more effective than in vanilla, and it, surprise surprise, has to reload. Dual plasmas, though, beat even the BFG in terms of DPS. BD's BFG sucks shit though.

I like Brutal Doom but I'm not really into it, It looks impressive at first but it gets old real quick, Not to mention so much annoying noises and explosion sounds.

Edited by dmg_64 : fixed typo

42 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Rockets can't headshot IIRC, about as effective as vanilla RL but it has to reload (6 rockets why).

It got nerfed then, when I played you could kill a cyber in like 20 rockets and 2 shot barons, Maybe even less. 

I have a difficult time with this because brutal doom brought me back into the doom world and made me aware of mods. It made me want to mod so badly.

I gave the starter pack a play through and loved it but I haven't played it again even though they were great levels IMO. Only after finishing brutal doom did I try other mods like Beau Doom, Ketchup, PB(too many weapons), etc.

I just think Beautiful Doom and Brutal Doom just do two different things and they both do them well.

As for the reputation. I look at it like this: I LOVED Borderlands and played the second one maybe 6 or 8 times. Even if I found out the developers were homophobic kidnapping murdering terrorists, I would still not be able to make my self hate something I spent so much time loving. Even if I couldn't play it again, those good times/memories aren't going anywhere.

My second favorite mod would have to be D4T. Loaded it with free doom and that was cool as hell even though I hate the pistol(I do in most games though).

As a side note, My worst doom mod experience so far....HDOOM. I know I will get hate for this, but it is just awful and disgusting. Also I hate hentai and anime in general, so I could just be being super biased. Though I will say that what ever the developers were trying to achieve, was done so well. In my short play I did not find any bugs.

I like Brutal Doom, PB and Mutators, Fearrific, D4T, Trailblazer. But is there anyone who like Guncaster?? No one's mentioned it. It's fucking awesome!!

59 minutes ago, Yousuf Anik said:

I like Brutal Doom, PB and Mutators, Fearrific, D4T, Trailblazer. But is there anyone who like Guncaster?? No one's mentioned it. It's fucking awesome!!

Guncaster isn't my thing. The magic gunslinging dragon thing is cool, but IMO too much stuff to manage at once in the middle of combat. The gunplay also feels like the vanilla Doom weapons. I enjoy Trailblazer's simple shooting and unique weapons, as well as the scrap upgrade system.

17 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

The magic gunslinging dragon thing is cool, but IMO too much stuff to manage at once in the middle of combat. The gunplay also feels like the vanilla Doom weapons.

Hmmm that's right and I feel the stuffs and weapons are a bit more overpowered, especially the upgraded BFG blast is so huge and destroy almost everything. Still the dragon things looks awesome :D and yeah, Trailblazer is cool too, especially when weapons are upgraded.

I don't hate brutal doom, but some fans of that mod think that every map or tc must be compatible with brutal mods. I just read one extreme example today and I wish I could slap that dude in face. Anyway, I rarely use mods these days due weak laptop and I prefer watch moded gameplay on youtube or other source. 

2 hours ago, Pegg said:

I don't think people who like HDoom get it for the gameplay tbh.. 

It's all about the gameplay.. obviously. those big, bouncy, game mechanics. (Kill me)

I prefer Beautiful Doom leaps and bounds if I were to choose, but I'd take Smooth Doom over that.  Droplets is also worth mentioning over Ketchup for me.

Since people are also talking other weapon/character mods, High Noon Drifter is about the best I've run into that doesn't change monsters.  Everything there is just awesome.

Not a fan, but Brutal Doom itself is a good mod (though the code is stolen and Sarge's notoriety of being a toxic person). But I still prefer Beautiful Doom (now with D64 weapons and explosions. Also black glove)

3 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Not a fan, but Brutal Doom itself is a good mod (though the code is stolen and Sarge's notoriety of being a toxic person). But I still prefer Beautiful Doom (now with D64 weapons and explosions. Also black glove)

I 100% agree with this. As a matter fact, Brutal Doom v21 is looking great. I hear its going to have the skulltag weapons!