Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FantasmeDel'Esprit54

Opinion: Beautiful Doom is underrated and Brutal Doom is boring

Best mod is easily PowerGun, whoever made that is a fucking genius who is really attractive and charismatic and knows exactly what Doomers want, 10/10 would use on all slaughtermaps

50 minutes ago, R1ck said:

Not a fan, but Brutal Doom itself is a good mod (though the code is stolen and Sarge's notoriety of being a toxic person). But I still prefer Beautiful Doom (now with D64 weapons and explosions. Also black glove)

I think you got your mods mixed up, mate. Smooth Doom has the D64 weapons, Duke 3D explosions, and black gloves. Beautiful Doom doesn't have those.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:04 PM, Nine Inch Heels said:

I would like to point out that a not so unconsiderable chunk of Brutal Doom's scripts weren't made by MARK IV but by other folks to whom MARK IV has not given proper credit and instead claimed that said scripts were his own work, AND I would also like to point out that MARK IV has a patreon set up because working for free is nice, but working for money is nicer.

Just to get a few facts right...

Yeah, it's wrong to withhold credit. Everything done with Doom is riding off of everyone else's contributions. I have no problem with someone getting paid to work on a project, especially if that allows more work to be done on the project. Entertainment is a valuable resource, and value is valuable (worth being paid for). It's not the typical way the community works, but there's no reason it can't. And, it's not required. It allows someone to show their appreciation with something that's useful, vs. "atta boy". Good for him.

But, yeah, he needs to credit the work, yikes. Man up, boy.

Tutorials on how do drink delicious bleach: 

Step 1

- Take a cup of 5% aqueous solution of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and fill it in a 1 litre jar

Step 2

-Have fun 

Warnings ! Highly dangerous for you

3 hours ago, A7MAD said:

Step 1

- Take a cup of 5% aqueous solution of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) and fill it in a 1 litre jar

Step 2

-Have fun 

Instructions not clear, dick stuck in pain elemental.

20 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Instructions not clear, dick stuck in pain elemental.

HowToBasic reference?

15 hours ago, A7MAD said:

Step 1

Step 2

-Have fun 

How rude!

15 hours ago, A7MAD said:

Step 1

Step 2

-Have fun 

Kids in Africa could've eaten that cup!

20 hours ago, A7MAD said:

Step 1

Step 2

-Have fun 

That's one very original joke you got there mate, also very funny

1 minute ago, AsianMammoth said:

That's one very original joke you got there mate, also very funny

your avatar is going to give me seizures :)

On 9.9.2017 at 0:32 AM, kb1 said:

Yeah, it's wrong to withhold credit. Everything done with Doom is riding off of everyone else's contributions. I have no problem with someone getting paid to work on a project, especially if that allows more work to be done on the project. Entertainment is a valuable resource, and value is valuable (worth being paid for). It's not the typical way the community works, but there's no reason it can't. And, it's not required. It allows someone to show their appreciation with something that's useful, vs. "atta boy". Good for him.

But, yeah, he needs to credit the work, yikes. Man up, boy.

I'm not against the idea of "getting paid" via patreon. Lots of people do that, and I see no reason for mappers or modders not to set one up for themselves. "Themselves" being key here, because the simple fact of the matter is that -aside of not giving proper credit- he also makes money off of other people's effort, which is icing on the cake, for that matter.

On 2017-09-02 at 8:16 PM, TootsyBowl said:

My go-to combo when I want some vanilla-like gameplay is Smooth Doom monsters+Ketchup+Beautiful Doom everything else.

What's the load order to get that combination working together properly?

2 hours ago, dugan said:

What's the load order to get that combination working together properly?

There's an addon that puts Ketchup gore in Smooth Doom on the Brutal Doom moddb. Get it.

Get Smooth Doom monsters only. Then use Slade to extract the individual wads from the Beautiful Doom pk3. Load the Beautiful wads first, then the Smooth Doom monsters, then Ketchup. Keep in mind that options will be overridden.

Do Beautiful Doom or Smooth Doom cooperate with the minor sprite fixing project, or do they have their own fixes for the same problems?

I feel like both aren't a very good mods to compare, one is just cosmetic changes and the other is just a complete change in game mechanics.

I do enjoy both a lot though.

On 9/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, Anidrex_1009 said:

Uwu

Thats bad, Did not know that, thank you for the fact. Although I dont think he is something like Evil EA or somethint, Still, I enjoy Brutal Doom a lot.

The only reason he isn't as shitty as EA is because no one has given him the oppurtunity.

On 9/8/2017 at 1:11 PM, Myst.Haruko said:

I don't hate brutal doom, but some fans of that mod think that every map or tc must be compatible with brutal mods. I just read one extreme example today and I wish I could slap that dude in face. Anyway, I rarely use mods these days due weak laptop and I prefer watch moded gameplay on youtube or other source. 

Those people are so obnoxious and have no idea how gameplay mods work. I once saw a comment on youtube while watching a video of a tc "COOL! I'M GONNA SEE IF IT WORKS WITH BRUTAL DOOM!" Idiot.

Since we're on the subject of "mod A working with mod B" - I tried loading both Smooth and Beautiful Doom, but unfortunately it seems like the one loaded the latest is going to be the one with all the functionality. They even completely supplant the Minor Sprite Fixing mod so yeah, it has to be either or.

Damn, I really enjoy some aspects of each one more than some of the other. Gifty and Jekyll Grim Payne really should have one long talk and consider merging their two mods, or at least some additional aspects of them. What I like about Smooth is the simplicity and regularity - there's always a designated gibbing sprite for every monster, and one to several "regular death" ones, while BD relies on an "enhanced deaths and gibs" toggle which necessarily means you'll only have some variants when the toggle is on or off - if it's off, there will be no gibbing sprite for monsters that didn't have it in vanilla Doom. There are also some death sprites that one mod uses and the other doesn't, most noticeably the imp death ones: BD uses one sprite of where the imp falls down on its face, belly flat, while SD has two others, but not the one from BD. Also BD uses all four known Hell Knight/Baron death sprites as regular deaths (1 vanilla + 1 from SD + 2 from Doom Expanded) while one of them is the designated "gib" animation in SD, while the two from Doom Expanded are absent. 

For me personally, the ideal merger (regardless of the "base") would have: 

- Chainsaw deaths for zombies, imps, demons and cacos from BD "enhanced deaths and gibs" taken out of the toggle and available even when it's turned off, has a chance of playing when a chainsaw kill is performed in addition to all the other sequences - just like when the toggle is normally turned on
- With "enhanced deaths and gibs" turned off, there's a single designated "gib" animation for every monster just like it's the case in SD, but all the other "regular death" animations are also available. Traditional gib sequences for zombies and imps play then. As for other monsters, for example the Mancubus would ideally have:

a) the vanilla animation 

b) the alternative one where he falls to his back (BD)

c) the yet another one which looks kinda like the vanilla one, but where the head stays intact (BD)
d) when "gibbed", the SD animation where the entire upper portion of the corpse turns to gore
Likewise with the caco: the normal animation, the one from BD where its jaw drops off, the one from SD where its eye falls out and lands approximately in the middle of the corpse, and the one from SD where it turns into a puddle of blue blood pretty much, reserved for gibbing deaths. Same goes for all other monsters.  
- With "enhanced deaths and gibs" turned on, the designated gibbing animations taken from SD get replaced by BD's new mechanics - "realistic gibbing" of zombies and imps with pieces of the corpse flying everywhere, charring from the plasmagun and BFG etc. 

That's what would make for the consummate corpse-handling aesthetic solution in my opinion :P

Edited by Xfing

I swear, it feels like people are just purposely trying to start shit by bringing up BD, and I'm honestly getting real fucking sick of it. Especially with how many rumors are slung at him (Edit: the creator of BD, SgtMark) every time, it's seemingly impossible to even know what's true and what's bullshit anymore.

Just stop already, it's a rotting dead horse that doesn't need any more beatings.

Now with that out of my system, I don't think it's fair to compare them. At all. Beautiful Doom is just really meant to be a slight visual enhancement of the vanilla game, while Brutal Doom is meant to turn the game up to 11. I love both but for different reasons.

Edited by CasualScrub

12 minutes ago, CasualScrub said:

I swear, it feels like people are just purposely trying to start shit by bringing up BD, and I'm honestly getting real fucking sick of it. Especially with how many rumors are slung at him

Brutal doom is a pretty cool guy

1 minute ago, Grain of Salt said:

Brutal doom is a pretty cool guy

Lol, probably should have worded that better. I guess I figure people know I'm referring to the creator.

1 minute ago, CasualScrub said:

Lol, probably should have worded that better. I guess I figure people know I'm referring to the creator.

....Tyler

Beautiful Doom seems a little hokey to me, with all the sound effects ripped from other games. I mean, sure, this is common for DOOM mods, but they seem pretty out of place in this one.

I do enjoy how Brutal Doom really alters the gameplay and gives you a good variety of options. I get to form different strategies and play differently than I am used to. It's a fun diversion when I want something different.