Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

the time has come for me to post a nother usless thread. or maybee not!

well i have seen doom world explode with allot of newbee's in the forums since i left in june and since i came back, i was simply amazed at the ammount of people joining the forums. i fell that this will make doomworld lose its unique touch and have people come in from cyberspace and try to get a hand on some doomwarez and other shit. also, there comes a time when peeople just have to switch from bying computer parts to buying cars ( for me anyway ) i will still post some things in doomworld but not that often as i am also too busy with school. GOD DAMN CHEMISTRY!!
also, while all the people came, some people left. i am sad that lut was banned. i feel that this was a bad thing to do since he was playing babysitter to this websight since befor i was here, and that was pretty long ago. pritch is now a mod and some other shit i dont want to point out.

my $.02

yah and in a suprising turn of events, my upstairs computer now works that i have been working on try to get online for so long. all because of the modem!

Yes, a lot has happened. Its like chaos or something fun like that.

(P.S. put URL code in your sig) :P

i dont even know you footman. i feel that the uniqueness of doomworld has gone down the dreain thats all. i hate it now. the design is cool, but everything is hap[pening as it was supposed to in my mind.

imho, all hell broke loose when Lüt was banned. he banned ling as a joke and go de-admined and banned. then hordes of newbies and morons started pouring in more than ever, even with the help of bbg and pritch, things just arent the same, they jsut keep coming, though there are some enwbs who arent dumb at all imo.

kain said:

i dont even know you footman. i feel that the uniqueness of doomworld has gone down the dreain thats all. i hate it now. the design is cool, but everything is hap[pening as it was supposed to in my mind.

On the contrary, IMO. Doomworld is more unique than ever because of the massive amounts of n00bs it draws in. No other Doom site is really quite like good old DW.

yah
doomworld should have like a newbee thing where if you first sign in, you are limited to where you can post but afetr you become a forum regular, i mean 300 or so posts, magicly all the rest of the forum appears.

LUT WAS COOL!!!!!

its like id fireing john carmack cus he made a naked model of his boss in doom. no lut = no doomworld. he was the... um...... kidney of doomworld. =oD

DooMBoy said:

On the contrary, IMO. Doomworld is more unique than ever because of the massive amounts of n00bs it draws in. No other Doom site is really quite like good old DW.

you cant be kidding me??? the only way most of them is cus they saw the doom3 preview somwhere and they jumped to google and typed it in ang along comes doomworld! i think this massive overflow of bewbies is eventually going to turn doomworld into a rat infested memorial.

kidney? Lüt was more of a heart to his place, like a body needs brains and a heart to live, this place needs Ling and Lüt to keep it a well-oiled machine...I guess we'll have to make due with what we have..

kain said:

i think this massive overflow of bewbies is eventually going to turn doomworld into a rat infested memorial.

bewbies? if you mean boobies, sure, lots of guys like those.... unless you mean newbies, then everyone hates those ;P

What I don't like about the site is all of the people who have nothing better to do than to pick on the neewbies and treat them like $#|+ just because they don't have as many posts. I hardly survived my days as a newbie!

i did, i didnt act like a jerk and ask dumb questions in the wrong forum like some newbs that ive seen, and i dont mean you koolkat, youre kool :)

Well, we already had this discussions about the newbie influx some time ago, some people created this "Doom Veterans Forum", you remember? Well, :::Peter lowers his head in shame::: I also registered there, but never did any post. Newbies are ok, just imagine we would not get any... The good ones will stay, maybe go for a while and come back. Those who are just interested in another Half-Life like game will ditch this site as soon as another fancy game comes out - and personally I don´t think they will like this forums that much, since it does not look like the other poor game sites and the people here are somewhat other.

About Lüt: I was "abroad" when these things happened, and I would have written something, so I do it now.

It is such a pity. Lüt is not a mad man who got berserk and wanted to ruin doomworld - it was just a misunderstanding. Lüt was one of the intellectual pillars of this site and indeed this site is LESS WITHOUT HIM. Without question. He did a massive effort for this site and a very good job. The two adult and intelligent persons should talk to each other, tell each other their positions, discuss and then come together again. Really! Talk to each other. It does not need much effort, just do one step and then it will be not that hard anymore. It would be a proof of character.

I really don't see how this site is dying just because yoü know who left. He was a good bloke. But I think you view of the past is a little rose coloured my frend.

still, I'd like to fast forward to about two about two years from now, when all the Doom 3 newbies get board of doom 3 and leave.

i am not hating on newbies, ut i hate the massive overflow of them. what ever happened to zaldron?

This whole "wawes of lame Doom3 newbies will flood our forums when Doom3 comes out!" thing is vastly overrated.

Firstly there will be a lot of other sites to shoulder the burden of the initial interest in the new game.

Secondly not all newbies are lamers. In fact most newbies are completely sensible, if somewhat bewildered.

What I believe will happen is:

The game hits the shelves and is played by the majority of fps gamers.

A lot of them kinda interested in this new game start surfing the internet to see what is going on about the game, seeing if there is any Doom3 deathmatch sites up or if there is any modding projects going on.

They become overwhelmed by the huge quantity of Doom sites popping up in their faces, many of which seems to be old and well-established (like this site).

They poke their heads in to see what's exactly going on posting on forums to get filled in.

A lot of them will immediately realise that the sites are about the old Doom and will then leave for Doom3 sites and communities.

Some of them find it hard to believe that people are playing such an old game, but eventually they will too realise that we aren't all fuzzing about Doom3. They will then leave with a bewildered expression.

A bunch might stick around a bit seeing what's all this fuzz about that old old game is all about. After all if so many people care something of note must be happening. Most will then leave when the novelty value has worn off.

A few might actually become genuinely interested. Caught by the sheer liveliness and massiveness of the community. These will become the new generations of old school doomers. The amount of newbies to stick around for another round depends on how forthcoming we are with informations and how well we are able to refrain from slagging them off for their ignorance of Doom terminology and the realities of old fps technology. The mods will probably have more problems ensuing that we don't slag off newbies than preventing the newbies from being lamers.

I do, however, foresee one problematic group of lamer newbies. These are newbies who are so impatient that they want to see tons of Doom3 mods right when the games appear on the shelves. They will repeatedly and insistently demand that we all begin to start modding for Doom3 and posting lots of requests for members for their new oh so cool projects. They will not realise that the reason that so many people are modding for the old Doom's is that it is something everyone can do, while modding for Doom3, even with superior modding support, will be something requiring the skill of a professional.

When they realise they are being ignored, some of them will eventually turn into full blown spammers telling us all what a bunch of closeminded lamer outdated playerhaters we alll are.

I got through my newbie days by only posting like once a month ;) And of course not posting stupid shit.

If all newbie's read the forums regularly for a while BEFORE posting themselves, there would be a lot less newbie-banning going on...

thats what i did
i didnt actually sign up the first day i found doomworld, i waited a year. i can emember when ling had only 100 posts and he would go on csdoom and deathmatch. those where the days.
i never really posted stupid questions, just stupid shit.

kain said:

shut up, you dont even have a say in this man.

I'm curious why you'd say that. True that 95% of my posts here are in reply to requests for help, editing stuff and zdoom stuff. I don't just "chat" on and on about stuff, but I do read lots of posts. I love doom and wad editing is my hobby.

OK I'll admit it, I simply did not like some of the comments in this thread, about how doomworld sucks now, how you hate it, how new members suck. So I took a little poke at it, agreeing with the title of your post. Hit a nerve there, I see.

i aint saying all that crap, i am just saying that doomworld was way way way better than it was now. infact the onl reason i started to post here in the first place was because i had common ground with the people, but most of those people left and it just doesnt seem like home.
picklehammer, mcvilewhore, lut, ... username... and some other ones i cant remember, but are still in my brain because it yoused to be fun just to post things in here, doom or non doom related. i can say only about 5% of the orginal doomers are still around.
(sigh)

OK. I should have known that anyway I guess. I must have "had too much coffee", sorry I commented.