Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anidrex_1009

So, how did you meet Doom?

Recommended Posts

Just like the title says, how do you doomers meet Doom?

 

I myself know this glorious game because of my uncle. 

 

When I was a kid, I was just looking for toys in my house and I found a big, strange and terrifying box. Doom 3.
You can make a simple idea of the impact that gave me just finding the box, since it is ... am ... extravagant for a child to find an image of a demon with staves behind.
Of course, do not make me sick or obsessed with the idea of Satanism, I'm not weak minded. But even so I was very curious to know what it was, the box was very well adorned without a doubt, and I collected it for a few days. Until my uncle realized that he had his box of Doom 3 hidden and of course I take it away, that day also, he showed me the game. Wow.
It was frightening, yes, very creepy but certainly looked very funny. The 2 of us just died of fear playing together, well, he was the one who stayed playing and I just watching. They were incredible times, very funny, my first impression of Doom. No doubt something unique that I had never seen. At that time I was not very accustomed to shooting games, not even to the computer, I usually played a lot on PS2 but almost none of my games approached the atmosphere of Doom, the closest was Silent Hill 2 (Another of my favorites). 

doom_horror_loop2.gif

So I met Doom 3, and now how did I meet Doom I and II? Probably several years passed, he was already an experienced PC player, he played many things, especially FPS and RTS, so on Steam came an epic ad that he did not think possible. Doom 3 BFG Edition. It was surprising and immediately began to save to get the game (saving is the only thing I could do for that time) In the end manage to get the game and to my surprise, Doom I and II! I decided to try them, I just liked them, they were very funny and oh my, listening to that soundtrack is one of the funniest things I've ever had with video games. It was just hilarious to shoot with a shotgun at full speed in a game much older than me.

 

Little by little time passed and my only ambitions were Doom, 3, 2, 1, Ultimate, Final, I played them all without stopping. Finally I found on the Internet the power of Mod and Wads, I learned with some patience the technicalities of this game and I venture into its great community. For 2013 or 2014, I was young, lively and very happy in my room next to my computer, nice speakers, my keyboard and mouse next to my Skyrim Mousepad. That was my description of perfection. Zdoom was my first port of Doom, I found an endless chance for my imagination and with the use of Wads, my future playing was assured. And to this day, I always enjoy it big time. I have no ability to create much less wads or mods, nor can I draw or create special things for the game, but I enjoy it like never before and that's all that matters.

And well, so I met Doom and that's my story, sadly in my country the game is not well known so apart from my uncle, I do not know anyone else who plays it, but it is still a fascinating game that will remain as the father of the FPS in history.

So how did they get to know Doom?

 

Btw, thank you for reading.

 

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post

I first played DOOM when I was 8( it was the PS1 version tho). I had this really old PS1 which my dad bought from a flea market in 2010. And when I went with my dad to buy some games, I found this game called 'DOOM', where there is a picture of a guy shooting a laser to a monster. I was really amazed by the cover that I asked my dad to buy it for me. I have been a fan of this game ever since.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, TFK said:

I first played DOOM when I was 8( it was the PS1 version tho). I had this really old PS1 which my dad bought from a flea market in 2010. And when I went with my dad to buy some games, I found this game called 'DOOM', where there is a picture of a guy shooting a laser to a monster. I was really amazed by the cover that I asked my dad to buy it for me. I have been a fan of this game ever since.

 

Yes, all those covers are fantastic, Master Levels for Doom, Doom 3 and Thy Flesh Consumed are my fav covers. 

Share this post


Link to post

Originally posted in this thread.

 

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom originally came out. My older brother had introduced to me this FPS which we spent countless hours blasting baddies with shotguns and mowing demons down with a chainsaw. Our sister, the elder sibling, watched on with disapproval shaking her head. The on-screen demon combat, the sound of war, the satanic imagery, the rocking soundtrack provided by Bobby Prince really pulled me and formed an obsession which carries onto this very day. Then Doom II came out and once again I was amazed. 32 new levels which offer lots of exploration. The iconic double barrel shotgun, the debut of even worse monstrosities who were more than capable of reducing you into hamburger meat if you weren't careful. However, over the years, I find myself disliking Doom II. My main complaints are the maps themselves, they feel rushed and unpolished. 

 

By the time 1995 came around I was a PlayStation fan, and still am to this very day. And Doom had been ported to the PlayStation console. I was once again totally blown away by this incarnation of Doom, in fact, I was outright terrified. The cold desolate moonbase of Phobos and Deimos had taken on a more gloomy and foreboding appearance. The lighting, the sfx, the delightfully haunting ambient score proved by Aubrey Hodges really pulled me in. I had been dragged to depths of hell that I didn't know existed.

 

My opinion about Final Doom is this, I think there is a lot good and bad mixed in both TNT and Plutonia. I prefer the PSX version of Final Doom because it's a collection of some of the best maps from it, plus the Master Levels. Although I will say that I think Plutonia makes for a better Doom II. (Yes I'm aware the mappers based their works on many Doom II maps). 

 

I had first learned of Doom 64 through GamePro. 1997 was an interesting year for me, but my main obsession was getting my hands on this newest Doom. The first time I played Doom 64 was at this locally owned and operated movie/video game place. I asked if I could try out Doom 64. I popped the cartridge into the N64 console and watched the opening title sequence and felt my heart racing. Soon I started a new game and found myself in the Staging Area holding a pistol. The long forgotten relay station on Mars was no longer abandoned, instead it was infested with eldritch demon horrors from beyond the stars. To my left and to my right were the reanimated remains of my fallen comrades who were now thirsty for my blood. I quickly put them out of their misery, but the gunfire drew the attention of more undead soldiers. Quickly dispatching them with the shotgun I found on the floor I stopped and listened for any more wheezing sounds of the undead. All I could hear was the haunting ambiance provided once again by Aubrey Hodges, whose work has found it's way into my heart.  Soon a hidden maintenance door zipped upwards and a wet, snuffling, gurgling roar emitted from behind me. I spun around and was ambushed by the familiar bullpig demon who seemed even more terrifying now. Needless to say it gnawed my face off. Soon I found myself going home with my very own copy of Doom 64. I think nowadays Doom 64 is my favorite of the bunch for a multitude of reasons.

 

When it comes to the Newfangled Doom, I have to say that I adore these games. Yes they're different from their progenitors but so what? To me they still capture what made the originals so great. I think Doom 3 is a great game, to me it feels like running through a haunted mansion which I love! And Doom 2016 is like Doom 3 on steroids with a special focus on the action.

 

Overall the Doom series is long lived and will continue into the future in one form or another. The series has earned a special place in my heart it will keep that spot.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Piper Maru said:

Originally posted in this thread.

 

I was eight years old in 1993 when Doom originally came out. My older brother had introduced to me this FPS which we spent countless hours blasting baddies with shotguns and mowing demons down with a chainsaw. Our sister, the elder sibling, watched on with disapproval shaking her head. The on-screen demon combat, the sound of war, the satanic imagery, the rocking soundtrack provided by Bobby Prince really pulled me and formed an obsession which carries onto this very day. Then Doom II came out and once again I was amazed. 32 new levels which offer lots of exploration. The iconic double barrel shotgun, the debut of even worse monstrosities who were more than capable of reducing you into hamburger meat if you weren't careful. However, over the years, I find myself disliking Doom II. My main complaints are the maps themselves, they feel rushed and unpolished. 

 

By the time 1995 came around I was a PlayStation fan, and still am to this very day. And Doom had been ported to the PlayStation console. I was once again totally blown away by this incarnation of Doom, in fact, I was outright terrified. The cold desolate moonbase of Phobos and Deimos had taken on a more gloomy and foreboding appearance. The lighting, the sfx, the delightfully haunting ambient score proved by Aubrey Hodges really pulled me in. I had been dragged to depths of hell that I didn't know existed.

 

My opinion about Final Doom is this, I think there is a lot good and bad mixed in both TNT and Plutonia. I prefer the PSX version of Final Doom because it's a collection of some of the best maps from it, plus the Master Levels. Although I will say that I think Plutonia makes for a better Doom II. (Yes I'm aware the mappers based their works on many Doom II maps). 

 

I had first learned of Doom 64 through GamePro. 1997 was an interesting year for me, but my main obsession was getting my hands on this newest Doom. The first time I played Doom 64 was at this locally owned and operated movie/video game place. I asked if I could try out Doom 64. I popped the cartridge into the N64 console and watched the opening title sequence and felt my heart racing. Soon I started a new game and found myself in the Staging Area holding a pistol. The long forgotten relay station on Mars was no longer abandoned, instead it was infested with eldritch demon horrors from beyond the stars. To my left and to my right were the reanimated remains of my fallen comrades who were now thirsty for my blood. I quickly put them out of their misery, but the gunfire drew the attention of more undead soldiers. Quickly dispatching them with the shotgun I found on the floor I stopped and listened for any more wheezing sounds of the undead. All I could hear was the haunting ambiance provided once again by Aubrey Hodges, whose work has found it's way into my heart.  Soon a hidden maintenance door zipped upwards and a wet, snuffling, gurgling roar emitted from behind me. I spun around and was ambushed by the familiar bullpig demon who seemed even more terrifying now. Needless to say it gnawed my face off. Soon I found myself going home with my very own copy of Doom 64. I think nowadays Doom 64 is my favorite of the bunch for a multitude of reasons.

 

When it comes to the Newfangled Doom, I have to say that I adore these games. Yes they're different from their progenitors but so what? To me they still capture what made the originals so great. I think Doom 3 is a great game, to me it feels like running through a haunted mansion which I love! And Doom 2016 is like Doom 3 on steroids with a special focus on the action.

 

Overall the Doom series is long lived and will continue into the future in one form or another. The series has earned a special place in my heart it will keep that spot.

All Doom games are great games, I believe is one of those few games that will never be forgotten. Long live Doomguy. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, FantasmeDel'Esprit54 said:

PSX Doom. I had a playstation instead of a n64 so Doom 64 did not come about til much later

Thats cool, everytime I heard about old games or consoles I just get so nostalgic. 

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil on the original XBOX, they also include the two original Doom games in the expansion. And the rest is history.

Doom caught my interest because of the magazine i read a long ass time ago, saying how cool, scary and badass Doom 3 is. I was like... " I need to play this " 

 Oh yeah, how silly of me that i played Resurrection of Evil and thinking it's the regular Doom 3 but it's not. While I was playing the whole thing and wondering how come that big demon with the rocket launcher didn't appeared in the game.... Cause i was playing the expansion, lol!

Edited by Chickensoup101

Share this post


Link to post

To sum it up,

"Do what you want cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!"

Bought it a few months later after having snapped.

Share this post


Link to post

My entire history with Doom:

-First grade, computer class, somebody brought a few games to play: Dangerous Dave, Diablo, and Doom. I didn't care much for Diablo way back then, me being a super good Christian Boy™ thought it was too demonic for my taste, but for some reason Doom was okay, and I liked Dangerous Dave too. 

-Some time after that someone brought Doom II and Diablo II (no Dangerous Dave sequels though) and enjoyed the sequel, though still not caring about Diablo.

-Years later a Doom movie was made, I liked it a lot way back then and even now I still don't hate it or anything.

-Not long after that I bought and played Doom 3 and its expansion, and while I didn't really like them much I thought it was decent and the movie was a not-bad adaptation of it.

-Several years later (6 or so ago?) I started playing older games because my laptop couldn't play more recent ones, so I played through Doom and Doom II and fell in love with newfound appreciation. I started playing a shitload of mods and learning about the history and impact of the game and soon enough it became my favorite game of all time. This fascination and often replays of the game haven't gone away at all.

-Then Doom 4 was announced, thought the gameplay at first looked like shit, but when I played it I thought it was okay, a lot of problems but it was fun enough and better than 3 for sure, and I'm actually looking forward for the sequel.

-Couple of months ago I decided to look into making mods and wads and while I haven't done much at all (only one map) I'm definitely going to get more into it soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post

I must have written it in another thread, but here is what happened in a short order.

I was searching for horror games to play 3-5 years ago, when I found a top 10 horror game list in youtube. It had Doom 3 in it and it said that it was banned in almost 10 countries (don't know if this is true). That fascinated me to a point where I got the game to play it.

I started and I shit my pants. I left the game, respecting the atmosphere of it a lot and I said: "Hey, let's see how Doom 1 and 2 look like!" (I didn't know about Final Doom and Doom 64 yet).

 

*gets Doom 1*

*plays it*

 

"WOW!!! Is this game like an arcade? Look at the old graphics! They are still holding up!"

*plays through first level*

"Hey that was fun! Let's play more of it!"

*plays first episode*

"Definitely my favourite game of all time!!! And the soundtrack is cool!!!"

*continues playing until getting stuck at Slough of Despair due to suckiness and leaves the game for a month*

*replays game and finishes it some time later*

"What an epic ending!!!"

 

"Let's play Doom 2 now"...

 

The rest is history. Now I know the whole series and I am close to finishing most of the official games, although I still have some work to do.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I must have written it in another thread, but here is what happened in a short order.

I was searching for horror games to play 3-5 years ago, when I found a top 10 horror game list in youtube. It had Doom 3 in it and it said that it was banned in almost 10 countries (don't know if this is true). That fascinated me to a point where I got the game to play it.

I started and I shit my pants. I left the game, respecting the atmosphere of it a lot and I said: "Hey, let's see how Doom 1 and 2 look like!" (I didn't know about Final Doom and Doom 64 yet).

 

*gets Doom 1*

*plays it*

 

"WOW!!! Is this game like an arcade? Look at the old graphics! They are still holding up!"

*plays through first level*

"Hey that was fun! Let's play more of it!"

*plays first episode*

"Definitely my favourite game of all time!!! And the soundtrack is cool!!!"

*continues playing until getting stuck at Slough of Despair due to suckiness and leaves the game for a month*

*replays game and finishes it some time later*

"What an epic ending!!!"

 

"Let's play Doom 2 now"...

 

The rest is history. Now I know the whole series and I am close to finishing most of the official games, although I still have some work to do.

Haha, quite a fun story, keep on with the official games! Also, check out the fan-made Wads, there are thousands and some really fun ones.

Share this post


Link to post

I've written something like this in another thread, but I can't find it now.

 

I was introduced to D2 when I was 7 by my cousin in 1995. Back then, I can only play on my cousin's computer. After several months, I finally upgraded my computer from 2MB RAM to 4MB RAM to meet the minimum requirement running Doom. Yes, the unit of the RAM is MB, which is kind of hilarious if you compare to RAM nowadays.

 

Another memory is that my cousin gave up on Map24 of Doom 2. Then I used like 2~3 hours S/L to finally beat the map. I guess back then the Chasm is one of rage quit map XD

Share this post


Link to post

PSX Doom in friends house, somewhere back in 1998! We are also played Final Doom deathmatch/coop with link cable and second PS1. PC Doom I start to play somewhere in middle 00s.

Share this post


Link to post

Brutal Doom.

 

*booing*

*rotten tomatoes thrown*

 

Learnt about Brutal Doom, bought Doom 1 and 2 on Steam last year, never looked back. Before then I learnt of the Doom series from AVGN, and learnt of Brutal Doom after looking the series up.

Share this post


Link to post

Originally from another thread:

A family member bought The Depths of DOOM Trilogy some 15-20 years ago, and I used to enjoy reading the manual from that compilation.  That manual was how I first learned about DOOM.

Amusingly, due to incorrect information in the manual, I used to believe that the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon only appeared in DOOM II, and I thought that the Cyberdemon was the final boss of DOOM II.  I also assumed that the only "bosses" in DOOM I would be Barons and Cacodemons.

I became very interested in playing DOOM, but I did not yet have my own copy.  Fortunately, I happened to find a shareware version of DOOM95 on a computer magazine disc.  Yes, I experienced the Windows version of DOOM before the DOS version.  The computer's MIDI device was a generic Windows OPL3 synthesizer, and, because I didn't know any better at the time, I assumed that was the "correct" sound of DOOM95's music.

Later, I found a shareware copy of the DOS version on some shovelware CD.  The music was set to Sound Blaster (or Adlib), and due to the Adlib's FM synthesis sounding different from the Windows OPL3 driver's FM synthesis, I assumed that the DOS and Windows versions of DOOM simply used different music files.

Eventually, I was kindly given the 3 discs and manual (the big box is long gone) from the same Depths of DOOM Trilogy I mentioned earlier.  And that's how I played The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II for the first time (I also had a lot of fun playing terrible Maximum DOOM levels). 


As for DOOM 3, I bought that game in a store on January 28th, 2010.  Its price was AU $17.95.  I didn't actually play the game until sometime later, however, as at the time I did not have a computer that could run it.

On September 30th, 2010, I saw the DOOM Collector's Edition compilation (the DVD Digipak/slipcase version) for sale in the same store that sold DOOM 3.  I bought it for AU $19.95.  That allowed me to play Final DOOM for the first time.

Lastly, I bought DOOM 3 BFG Edition on June 18th, 2013, at EB Games for AU $19.


It wasn't until recently that I got my own complete big box copies of The Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Master Levels for DOOM II, Final DOOM, and The Depths of DOOM Trilogy (these were all purchased online).

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666 : Checked old receipts (I still have them) and added more details to post

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Also, check out the fan-made Wads, there are thousands and some really fun ones.

Yeah, I've been playing some of those too and they can be really fun. Also, got to finish some wads that I started a while back (Scythe 2, Epic 2, Whispers of Satan). I keep starting things without ending them sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post

Got the Playstation port of Doom on Christmas 1996 along with the Playstation itself, didnt play it for a month due to the soundtrack scaring the shit out of me to begin with (I was 6 :P) but i quickly got over it as i got PSX Final Doom in April 1997 and Doom 64 a year after.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, davidpicker said:

Hi there, I played Doom when I was 12 in my friends gaming room, but that time I was not having any knowledge about video games. Now I don't prefer to use PS4. I am planning to buy new games for my gaming PC. While searching online I came across https://www.instant-gaming.com/de/186-buy-key-grand-theft-auto-v/. Any idea?

Play Doom better, believe, you dont wanna find out the MP of GTA. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

Originally from another thread:

A family member bought The Depths of DOOM Trilogy some 15-20 years ago, and I used to enjoy reading the manual from that compilation.  That manual was how I first learned about DOOM.

Amusingly, due to incorrect information in the manual, I used to believe that the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon only appeared in DOOM II, and I thought that the Cyberdemon was the final boss of DOOM II.  I also assumed that the only "bosses" in DOOM I would be Barons and Cacodemons.

I became very interested in playing DOOM, but I did not yet have my own copy.  Fortunately, I happened to find a shareware version of DOOM95 on a computer magazine disc.  Yes, I experienced the Windows version of DOOM before the DOS version.  The computer's MIDI device was a generic Windows OPL3 synthesizer, and, because I didn't know any better at the time, I assumed that was the "correct" sound of DOOM95's music.

Later, I found a shareware copy of the DOS version on some shovelware CD.  The music was set to Sound Blaster (or Adlib), and due to the Adlib's FM synthesis sounding different from the Windows OPL3 driver's FM synthesis, I assumed that the DOS and Windows versions of DOOM simply used different music files.

Eventually, I was kindly given the 3 discs and manual (the big box is long gone) from the same Depths of DOOM Trilogy I mentioned earlier.  And that's how I played The Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II for the first time (I also had a lot of fun playing terrible Maximum DOOM levels). 


As for DOOM 3, I bought that game in a store on January 28th, 2010.  Its price was AU $17.95.  I didn't actually play the game until sometime later, however, as at the time I did not have a computer that could run it.

On September 30th, 2010, I saw the DOOM Collector's Edition compilation (the DVD Digipak/slipcase version) for sale in the same store that sold DOOM 3.  I bought it for AU $19.95.  That allowed me to play Final DOOM for the first time.

Lastly, I bought DOOM 3 BFG Edition on June 18th, 2013, at EB Games for AU $19.


It wasn't until recently that I got my own complete big box copies of The Ultimate DOOM, DOOM II, Master Levels for DOOM II, Final DOOM, and The Depths of DOOM Trilogy (these were all purchased online).

Whoa! You may not be such an old Doomer, but I can tell, thats a sweet Collection you must have! 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, riderr3 said:

PSX Doom in friends house, somewhere back in 1998! We are also played Final Doom deathmatch/coop with link cable and second PS1. PC Doom I start to play somewhere in middle 00s.

Ah, the memories, such a nice way to travel between time, good for you to have started with the PSX! 

Share this post


Link to post

McDonald's hosted birthday party around 1994. This was at a downtown restaurant also housing their administrative HQ, so they took us on a tour around the offices. I managed to get separated the group wandering off on my own, entered an empty office room with a computer on, and sure enough, that computer was running Doom.

Share this post


Link to post

I was 6-8 years old. My dad was playing Doom 1 on our PC in the living room. He wouldn't let me play(because of violence)...So when he wasn't around I read the manuals, learned DOS just so I could open the game and played anyways.....good times. I got caught because I screamed on a dark part in a level. I don't remember which one.

 

Once I learned DOS. I was playing Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, and ROTT like everyday for years.....and years.

 

I have no memory of when I learned the cheats though.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×