Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superchargecacodemons800

Best/worst map in Doom II

5 minutes ago, Decay said:

Best: Tricks and Traps, The Factory, Industrial Zone, Spirit World

I like traps and tricks and spirit world as well, also I liked Nirvana quite a lot.

Faves would have to be Tricks and Traps, Circle of Death, Gotcha!, Barrels O Fun. Icon of Sin is a butt ugly map but I dig the gameplay.

Lamest map would have to be Nirvana. Just seems uninspired in every sense of the word. The Factory is sorta boring.

I like the rest well enough!

EDIT: Wtf Decay how are you gonna pick the factory, that map is literally 10 square sectors with enemies just sorta dumped in certain rooms! I've seen worse but there's way more interesting maps than that depressing brown dull pile of squares

Worst:Map 24 chasm, is the level i loathe...even after spending p years playin doom,i still never finish it

Map 30,31,32 are also bad

Best: All other

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

EDIT: Wtf Decay how are you gonna pick the factory, that map is literally 10 square sectors with enemies just sorta dumped in certain rooms! I've seen worse but there's way more interesting maps than that depressing brown dull pile of SQUARES

You just discovered my mapping inspiration.............

Best: Underhalls, Tricks and Traps, Circle of Death, The Inmost Dens, Industrial Zone, Gotcha!, The Abandoned Mines, The Living End.

Worst: The Pit, Refuelling base, The Factory, Downtown, The Chasm, Monster Condo.

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

that map is literally 10 square sectors with enemies just sorta dumped in certain rooms! I've seen worse but there's way more interesting maps than that depressing brown dull pile of squares

Edited 8 hours ago by Doomkid

Ah yes....The Factory...that map with a lot of space for about 8 spiders in the outside and that's it?

seems legit...

It's not like we always must fill the entire map with monsters until there's no space left. There are some scouts outside that would be more than enough to take care of any regular human stumbling upon the place, and most of the forces are lurking within. I see no problem here.

1 minute ago, Da Werecat said:

It's not like we always must fill the entire map with monsters until there's no space left. There are some scouts outside that would be more than enough to take care of any regular human stumbling upon the place, and most of the forces are lurking within. I see no problem here.

It's not like that. That space could be used for some surprises here and there, you know...

4 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

But it wasn't. I feel it contributes to the map's ambience.

At least, imo, The Factory is fun to play it because of how the monsters are waiting for you...including a trap that some people could fall for it >:)

Best: The Inmost Dens and The Living End

Worst: I think I gotta say The Citadel. Confusing layout, mandatory secrets, obtuse progression.... GRRR!

Edit: The Chasm is also the worst.

At this point, The Chasm is considered the worst of the pack. To me, that map is "meh...ok, I'll finish this quickly"...

11 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

To me, that map is "meh...ok, I'll finish this quickly"...

*idclev to map25*

13 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I'm surprised that no one here mentioned The Citadel (map 19)....maybe it's easily forgettable after playing The Courtyard and remembering that Gotcha is coming next. The Citadel is a map with mixed feelings in my end. You know that the way of getting the keys are non-linear and it's fun but some routes are tedious to do, especially if you want to do it a 100% gameplay...

"The Citadel" is fun. Not a favorite, but one I look forward to on replays.

"Downtown" is the most representative Doom II map for me, but I'm mixed on its gameplay. Maybe that's appropriate.

Best: the first 9 levels + Circle of Death + The Courtyard + The Spirit World

Worst: other hell and Sandy Petersen levels

Best: Map02, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 14, 20, 23, 28 & 29

Worst: Only map I truly dislike is Map24 

Edited by Philnemba : Underhalls needs loving too!

7 hours ago, RenderError said:

Best: Underhalls, Tricks and Traps, Circle of Death, The Inmost Dens, Industrial Zone, Gotcha!, The Abandoned Mines, The Living End.

Worst: The Pit, Refuelling base, The Factory, Downtown, The Chasm, Monster Condo.

Downtown is actually my favorite - Sandy Petersen spent a lot of effort on designing all the buildings and stuff for it to look like a downtown.

21 hours ago, Decay said:

Best: Tricks and Traps, The Factory, Industrial Zone, Spirit World

Worst: The rest

How do you even hate the rest of Doom II? IMO Doom II is better than The Ultimate Doom or TNT Evilution, but Plutonia is ofc better!

13 hours ago, TootsyBowl said:

It's funny how divisive The Chasm is. Some people seem to love it, most seem to hate it.

This is what I defined as a niche interest. For example, Sunder Map05 is a similar thing. It's interesting that I'm one of those people who neither like Chasm nor hate Chasm.

I don't really like The Courtyard, which seems to be getting mentioned quite a few times.

I just really find there to be little fun to be had in a map that can be finished in ~30 seconds. I could stay and fight the monsters, but why would I when I can just move on?

Best: The Inmost Dens - this map has such a satisfying design, not sure what it is about it.

Worst: The Pit and The Chasm. The Pit is just frustrating all around. It's annoying to play, it's got an ugly design, and everything about it feels awkward. The Chasm is an obvious one. Ledgewalking is far from being my specialty. It's got an eerie atmospheric feel to it, but playing it is a completely different feeling.

1 hour ago, stru said:

The Pit is just frustrating all around. It's annoying to play, it's got an ugly design, and everything about it feels awkward. The Chasm is an obvious one. Ledgewalking is far from being my specialty. It's got an eerie atmospheric feel to it, but playing it is a completely different feeling.

I guess you could say that it's the pits.

1 hour ago, VK17 said:

Best: 29

Worst: 23

And there you go

I actually like Barrels o' Fun -- I don't understand why people hate on it so much! Just run forward, and you take little or no damage. The barrels paint the walls with all your foes. The only mildly tricky part is the outdoor area with the arch-vile and the chaingunners in dark alcoves, but there are ways to handle that reliably. I find the PE room annoying, but its not enough to squash the whole level...