Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Skulldash Expansion - RELEASE DATE ANNOUNCED

Level 11 - Liquidation

Built back in 2011, Liquidation brings an interesting concept to Skulldash – collecting the coloured bonus Skulltokens directly manipulates the map, changing the sky & liquids in the level to the same colour as the Skulltoken you just collected!

level11-1.jpg

There are ‘forcefields’ which are impenetrable unless you have just collected a Skulltoken of the same colour, in which case you can walk through and obtain the item(s) behind.

level11-2.jpg

level11-3.jpg

Level 12 - Black Death

Inspired by the aesthetic of 1024.wad’s Nullspace Jr, and Quake 3 Arena’s Space levels; Black Death places you on the precarious edges of the void.

Try to collect as many Skulltokens as you can while balancing atop the wood & metal structures with the oncoming fire from the enemy monsters!

level12-1.jpg

Try to collect as many Skulltokens as you can while balancing atop the wood & metal structures with the oncoming fire from the enemy monsters!

level12-2.jpg

level12-3.jpg

Level 13 - Feelin' Blue

Feelin’ Blue is a level unique in the fact that you start off with only a chainsaw – paint this blue tech base red with the blood of your enemies! 

level13-1.jpg

Keep on the lookout for the secret area that takes you outside, you’ll be granted the super shotgun which provides you a noticeable boost in combat.

level13-2.jpg

level13-3.jpg

Level 14 - Heated Heights

Heated Heights features some tricky terrain, surrounded by bubbling hot lava! described by @HexaDoken, "THIS PLACE BE HOT".

level14-1.jpg

With over one hundred tokens scattered in this world you’ll have to keep your eyes peeled and search every nook and cranny! (Tip: Check the sides of the rock walls, some areas have small overhangs!)

level14-2.jpg

level14-3.jpg

Will this be compatible with Brutal Doom?

Seriously though, will it?

Really seriously though, this looks fantastic.  I can't wait for the release. :)

6 minutes ago, Average said:

Will this be compatible with Brutal Doom?

I have not (and will not) test Brutal Doom / 'additional mod' compatability. If I had to guess, I'd say it's unlikely to work. Quite a lot of work has gone into the project that could theoretically break compatibility.

1 hour ago, dmg_64 said:

I can't wait for October 22nd to come, this is seriously looking fantastic.

Thanks for sharing your excitement! :D

@Dragonfly Is there...ANY chance you can release the textures in a wad file after release? I think these textures are incredible, and could be a good pack to use. Your map design, and talent astounds me Dragonfly, seriously you're my idol.

I don't really know how to react to such intense flattery... I guess all I can and should say is thank you! :)

As for the textures, 99%+ of them are available already, I'm using a mix from a wide range of sources, so it wouldn't really be my place to release a texture pack as they're already in a range of texture packs that aren't mine to take credit for!

I've sourced textures from:

Skulltag
Scythe 2
Congestion 1024

Gothic DM

Hexen 2

Blood
Afterglow has a few packs I used

And then the rest is most likely textures of my own creation.

When I release Skulldash I'll see if there's any demand for the specific textures I made. I could release my textures to the public, despite them being a hodge-podge of map specific textures, heh.

Also I intend to strip the texture resources down as heavily as possible before release, so the pack(s) will be reasonably incomplete and 'fit-for-use' within Skulldash. :P

Fair enough. I'm trying to get a large texture wad like CC4-tex for a bit of a change. not that CC4-tex is bad in any way, I immensely enjoy using it, I can keep the maps looking rather vanilia and still have different colour choices. But, I cant wait to see skulldash, I haven't played ANY of it, because I want to experience it ALL at once.

Level 15 - Divider

Divider is a map  split into to roughly equal length portions. On one path you have more cavernous terrain, with a degrading tech base, the other, a more functional half to the base.

level15-1.jpg

Both bases connect in the middle with a switch-wall letting you peer into the later areas. Good luck with this map, it’s one of the longer ones!

level15-2.jpg

level15-3.jpg

I was already very fortunate to have been awarded a Cacoward with the original 2015 release of Skulldash. I don't know what the policy is on 'remasters & expansion packs', but I doubt it'd be an eligible candidate for 2017. :)

I remember seeing an expansion get a cacoward before...But i'm glad you got recognised for your work none the less!

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I was already very fortunate to have been awarded a Cacoward with the original 2015 release of Skulldash. I don't know what the policy is on 'remasters & expansion packs', but I doubt it'd be an eligible candidate for 2017. :)

bitch! i got my eyes set on the price...  just kiddin' :D
but seriously... who determines who wins, the players? admins? what do they specifically look for in a wad? i actually dont know, i have only been alive for a few days.

It's totally at the discretion of the people who write the awards. I have no intent of 'competing' for the award with anyone, it's not my intent. :) Being recognised for your efforts is a great feeling but not something I require.

Level 16 - Maltreatment

Maltreatment. This behemoth of a level is the closing act of tier four. The true test to see if you’re worthy of the fifth and final tier!

level16-1.jpg

With 8 minutes on the clock before collecting any blue SkullTokens or reaching any time bonuses, you have plenty of time to traverse this odd, demonic facility.

level16-2.jpg

level16-3.jpg

Is there like a no time limit option? So you can really take the time to explore the levels? That'd be cool O.o

Interesting idea. I could make custom difficulty settings, perhaps a 'sightseeing mode' with unlimited time and no monsters... it's something to consider, at least. Thanks for the idea! :)

Just now, Dragonfly said:

Interesting idea. I could make custom difficulty settings, perhaps a 'sightseeing mode' with unlimited time and no monsters... it's something to consider, at least. Thanks for the idea! :)

Or even with monsters, as like a 'practice' mode, so that people can find the best route without a time limit.

@Dragonfly I tried to download the original version of skulldash from the idgames portal, since your site doesnt actually have a download link. However, the idgames version wont load any sort of textures? Is there a texture wad I need, or am I missing something here?

1 minute ago, Phade102 said:

@Dragonfly I tried to download the original version of skulldash from the idgames portal, since your site doesnt actually have a download link. However, the idgames version wont load any sort of textures? Is there a texture wad I need, or am I missing something here?

skulltag_data.wad

thats it.

I've added skulltag_data but it still wont load any custom textures. its like they're not in the .pk3 file. even cc4-tex doesnt help

I downloaded the last version of skulltag and that had it. it works now =D Level 3 and 4 I didnt manage to 100% because i couldn't find the secrets =(

Best and most captivating trailer I've seen in years. I am serious.

Wow thank you @geo, as an amateur in video production it's awesome to hear positive comments. If you genuinely have any critiques I am all ears. :)

@Phade102 instead of playing the old version, you're welcome to join the testing team of the expanded edition, if that interests you? :)

4 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Wow thank you @geo, as an amateur in video production it's awesome to hear positive comments. If you genuinely have any critiques I am all ears. :)

@Phade102 instead of playing the old version, you're welcome to join the testing team of the expanded edition, if that interests you? :)

As someone that's sat through a lot of trailers and instantly gotten bored after 3 seconds in, it was a joy to see the trailer. A lot of trailer artists fall into traps such as ... not showing gameplay, when they show gameplay its only 1 level leading me to believe the entire game is 1 level, taking 6+ seconds to show the logo, being 2 or more minutes long when honestly 1 minute is all you need. Steam is full of those problems.

I can usually tell how a game will be not from the gameplay in the trailer, but the problems with the trailer itself. The Star Trek Movie reboot game had a lot of these problems like 30 seconds of logo or some long span.

As for critiques of your trailer in general, its more the sheer diversity of everything. Not only level diversity, but the level themes itself. Doom disco dance party, black with white trim. It just shows how dynamic your mod .wad can be which makes it desirable to play and watch. The zippers, jump pads and other things not usually common with DOOM help as well.

Edited by geo

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm absolutely interested! I'd love to just play the original game with the new updates, I can test levels too!