Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eric the Sandvich

A first mediocre WAD with a little story

Recommended Posts

http://www.mediafire.com/file/libqw686f676nq8/Laboratory.zip

 

So this was my first WAD, late 2016.

 

   Back then I was somewhat interested in Doom map making, I such wanted to make a map. I didn't exactly know what I was doing, so this map disregards whatever tone it wants to be.

   At the end of the WAD I lost interest of doing anything for it so the end is of lower quality. I had zero knowledge of DECORATE files and I had to ask someone on the zDoom forums for something that I soon realized was useless after getting a DECORATE file for an Imp that activates a certain music file. Speaking of which, you will always have ACS errors when starting the map, though not any that hinders what it's supposed to do because I didn't know what SNDINFO was and I was afraid of scewing up scripting in the WAD file I tried the brute force approach instead of the simple approach.

   Music credits are in the WAD file.

   After I completed the map I wanted to send this map to Aquarius because I was a healthy bastard of a fan for him. He never got around to reviewing it, and I questioned his lack of response even in youtube messaging (A "I can't review this WAD sorry" message would have been fine, I just wanted a response, BEEN ALMOST A YEAR ALREADY)

   And after I stopped acting like a 5 year old I lost motivation for Doom at all, and I moved to the Source engine.

   I mapped a little for Source until it started to become bullshit to me and I stopped that too.

   Eventually I went on a roadtrip from Texas to Minnesota (Which is about 50 hours of non-stop sitting on ones ass) and most of my games are from steam, to which the only accessible game to carry was zDoom.

   After being able to finally complete the rest of Doom 2 I was back in the Doom community, I sent my map to Aquarius again as a but of a Joke (It's been 3 months now and he still hasn't responded).

   Right now I'm working on a much better version of this WAD with basically everything (including reverb).

   Criticism is welcome, but I already know enough of this map to know every obvious wrong thing about this, after all, it's been over a year and a half.

   Meant to be played on Very hard.

Screenshot_Doom_20170904_130057.png

 

In the zip file theres a message that was supposed to be meant for Aquarius, I guess you could ignore that as It's basically the same thing above.

 

If it's not too much to ask, if someone were to record a demo of the map of their first time? :)

 

EDIT: I forgot to mention directly that you have to use zDoom for this wad.

Edited by Eric the Sandvich

Share this post


Link to post

You could easily use that thread for template and write your story in spoilers or below after you mention all important things. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I couldn't figure out how to finish the level. This is a mostly linear frag fest with battle arenas, was fun enough honestly. Also very hard? Nightmare is the harder than hard right? I ignored that and played on normal.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PaquoCastor said:

I couldn't figure out how to finish the level. This is a mostly linear frag fest with battle arenas, was fun enough honestly. Also very hard? Nightmare is the harder than hard right? I ignored that and played on normal.

heh

 

Very Hard translates to Ultra-Violence for me.

 

How the fuck it did I don't know, prob being retarded again.

 

Also what do you mean you didn't know how to finish the level? I mean I'm confused myself as this wad is actually just under a year old. I most likely was dumping barrel fulls of acid as I thought Very Hard was Ultra-Violence and I somehow screwed up the dates. But... how?

 

Oh wait, I remember there being so many monsters that some didn't spawn, if that's not the case then the scripting is screwed up.

 

Thank god the wad I'm currently making is not all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post

I got to an arena with a skybox and after grabbing a BFG and defeating two cyberdemons and a baron nothing happened. I checked the stats and it said all monsters that were spawned were defeated.

Share this post


Link to post

You say its your first WAD? Well, It looks good for being 1st. Most of first WADs I had meet are quite... amm, have you heard of Mockery? Well, something like that. They look promising and fun but its just really hard to make a 7/10 wad in your first try, yours looks god. Also, dont lose motivation that fast man! KEEP THE WORK! Mapping in general in all games is not that easy, but keep it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PaquoCastor said:

I got to an arena with a skybox and after grabbing a BFG and defeating two cyberdemons and a baron nothing happened. I checked the stats and it said all monsters that were spawned were defeated.

Ah, the Spider Mastermind didn't appear then.

 

Might wanna save before you get to the arena, just in case. Also try ultra-violence, should work.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

You say its your first WAD? Well, It looks good for being 1st. Most of first WADs I had meet are quite... amm, have you heard of Mockery? Well, something like that. They look promising and fun but its just really hard to make a 7/10 wad in your first try, yours looks god. Also, dont lose motivation that fast man! KEEP THE WORK! Mapping in general in all games is not that easy, but keep it up. 

Currently in the works for Laboratory V2, gon b MUCH better than this wad.

 

Would send you a demo wad but my slow internet speed means my system update has all the time in the fucking world to clog my internet.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Eric the Sandvich said:

Currently in the works for Laboratory V2, gon b MUCH better than this wad.

 

Would send you a demo wad but my slow internet speed means my system update has all the time in the fucking world to clog my internet.

I now the pain bro, I cant even upload something to Dropbox... 

Share this post


Link to post

I can help you with dynamic music stuff if you like. I used a ton of it in Midgard Outlaw. Just shoot me a message.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×