Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valkiriforce

Oceanside - a 3-level WAD for limit-removing ports.

Neat slaughter-ish city maps. There is something romantic about Doom allowing us to visit each others' places even though we're living so far away. Map03 is perhaps my favorite: that hectic start is really fun to figure out and I think it has the best music. On Map02 the horizon you see from the exit is buggy I think (something to do with different floor heights).

Ā 

Attaching some demos I recorded...

OCEANSIDE_mem_FDA.zip

8 hours ago, Memfis said:

There is something romantic about Doom allowing us to visit each others' places even though we're living so far away.

That's a fun idea. I could try to recreate my neighborhood.

Thanks for the demos Memfis - I've since fixed that visual error at the end of MAP02. I also really liked how MAP03 came out since that was the only one I got to freestyle when making these maps and I'm also fond of the midi because it's from Vertical Horizon which was the band that got me into music.

Ā 

I also forgot to add deathmatch starts on the last 'end' level, which is going into the next version I release.

Edited by valkiriforce

I liked the first level. Got to the second level although I thought I had maybe found a secret exit. The second level isn't really my kind of map so I quit but it looks nice. Also I'm pretty sure you have some old I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys MIDI for level 2, am I right? Or am I just going crazy

I missed out on that one...I've since raised the skies in the surrounding sectors and fixed it. Thanks!

Really fun little gem of a mapset! MAP01 is tight and congested with some clever hints on getting keycards, and it's very cozy and realistic. The turn-on-able TVs was one of the coolest features.Ā 

Ā 

MAP02 was standard "move around a large space and spam ammo" slaughtermap, it was pretty good but not quite as good as MAP01. Is this set in a school, judging by the playground?Ā 

Ā 

MAP03 was probably the best one out of the set. Challenging and visually pleasing. Overall it was really enjoyable, thanks for the late summer treat!

I'm not really into slaughter maps and I wasn't expecting this one to get so hectic but it was surprisingly enjoyable once I knew what to expect. You definitely delivered on your promise of feel-goodness. The scenery and skybox were really good and I thought that there was some creative use of textures. I was a little thrown off by a few textures though such as the big door ones used in the first level that couldn't actually be opened.

Ā 

The overall atmosphere was really nice and I feel like the MIDIs somehow enhanced the experience versus listening to the actual songs. I got some nice 90s vibes especially when Vertical Horizon started playing. Great map set.

I have downloaded your wad and tested the first map a bit, I likeĀ the theme so far, a neighborhood infested byĀ monsters. Will definitely keep playing later and leave some feedback.Ā 

BUMP!

Ā 

I just played this awesome wad, on UV and continuous because it's short and new for me. I loved the visuals, each map looks lovely, beautiful sky you've chosen. Music is great. The ambient is tense, but I didn't find the maps to be hard.Ā In the first one I missed the secret BFG, well I think I saw a BFG from afar, not sure right now. Second map was fun slaughtery, it's very spacious and open so it's easy to get everything into infighting. Third map was quite cool, I kind of felt your usual style (just played Reverie and your PRCP maps), which seems to me old-school oriented, which is also cool. Fourth map well it's a neat ending, and responding to theĀ poster:Ā no, thanks to you!!Ā 

Ā 

Only "disappointment" is that there were no spiderdemons, of all the roster that was the only one missing, even SS Nazis were present, I thought there was going to be at least one somewhere given in the text file says, as a joke: "HUGE garden spider behind the fence with the jacuzzi!", but no. Anyway, I might record demos tomorrow, if you're interested of course.Ā 

And I recorded the demos anyway, none of them are real fast. As to criticize something else about the mapset, in map 03 I got stuck in the trees too many times. Even if they look neat, they wereĀ very invasive this time. Anyway, here they are, umm by accident the third one was on complevel 9, but maps 01 and 02 on complevel 2. Hope there are no desync issues.

Ā 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nssq9wopwf69l4u/oceansde-uv-demos.zip?dl=0