Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KevvyLava

Knee-Deep In The Dead 2.0

If it hasn't been mentioned already, one of the grated lines by the switch in MAP06 that opens the door leading to the exit section is pass-thru, specifically Linedef 991.

Is there a way to revisit E1M2's dark labyrinth sector once you get the Yellow Card?

On E1M3, the door that originally led to the exit room still looks like an exit door. Also, I do not think there is a need for a Yellow Skull lock on the door leading to the new exit room, especially if you are just going to hide it in a corner nearby.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

Okay, I am done with the mapset. All in all, it was pretty good; I really like what you did with E1M8.

My only gripes are with the occasional rough edges and the lack of Infrared Googles near dark areas.

Also, for some reason, once beating E1M8, I end up in 'The Pit' with missing textures.

Answers to all questions in order:

Glaice: I now noticed the linedef.  Thank you.  Fixed.

JohnnyTheWolf: No, but I am going to edit it so it does when you get through the bars that close on you in the safe part of the dark area.  The Yellow Skull is just meant so you can't skip the confrontation with the Hell Knight.

JohnnyTheWolf: What do you mean by "rough edges"?  Is that a term referring to walls you get stuck on sometimes?  I deliberately avoided the infrared goggles because the dark areas are supposed to run your health down and be scary!  So I included the Partial Invisibility at times instead so minimize the effect of the aim.  Glad you liked E1M8.  It was always anticlimactic in my opinion...I thought it could use some sprucing up and the Doom 2 textures allowed for that.  I don't know how to do scripting to make the final door open/come down like in E1M8 tag 666.  But meh, the Skull collection works.

And yeah, the ASHWALL texture doesn't work at all on the WAD for whatever reason, hence the blur in The Pit.  Might have something to do with me editing directly from doom.wad and some random conflict.

New file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/65p3f33m4p8mt1n/KDITD2.zip

By "rough edges", I mean things like being unable to revisit E1M2's dark labyrinth once you get the yellow card, the original exit door still using an exit door texture in E1M3, a few Demons not teleporting out of their hidden rooms in E1M6 (specifically, the one near the yellow skull guarded by a Mancubus) and the inability to get 100% secrets (even with noclip, I just could not locate the eighth secret, the outer wall of E1M8's elevators being the same 'switch on a wall' texture stacked on top of each other and of course Doom 2's 'The Pit' being loaded after E1M8.

11 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

By "rough edges", I mean things like being unable to revisit E1M2's dark labyrinth once you get the yellow card, the original exit door still using an exit door texture in E1M3, a few Demons not teleporting out of their hidden rooms in E1M6 (specifically, the one near the yellow skull guarded by a Mancubus) and the inability to get 100% secrets (even with noclip, I just could not locate the eighth secret, the outer wall of E1M8's elevators being the same 'switch on a wall' texture stacked on top of each other and of course Doom 2's 'The Pit' being loaded after E1M8.

Thanks for those tips.

- Adjusted the yellow card issue in E1M2.  Not sure why you'd need to get in there again, except for the one secret that is easy to get if you go that way first

- Exit door on E1M3 was a style choice, not a mistake.  I wanted it to be a surprise that there was more.  Think like the trap room in E2M6.

- There are indeed 8 secrets in E1M6...all accessible.  I just ran through it and found them.

- The endless switches in E1M8 were also a design choice.  I wanted the strange feeling of expecting that first switch to come down over and over again like you were trapped in some sort of spooky trick, where it keeps lowering endlessly.  But open to suggestion if you'd like to make another suggestion.

- I don't know how to script it to do a game ending instead of the automatic level changing stuff...also not sure on the textures.  If anyone wants to reformat that stuff and add it, be my guest.

Updated file once again: https://www.mediafire.com/file/65p3f33m4p8mt1n/KDITD2.zip

13 hours ago, KevvyLava said:

- There are indeed 8 secrets in E1M6...all accessible.  I just ran through it and found them.

I replayed the map and I still cannot find them all. I got the Rocket Launcher, the Megasphere, the staircase back to the slime area's entrance, the secret area at the beginning, the Soulsphere, the Backpack guarded by a Mancubus and the Plasma Rifle. Even with allmap on, I still have no clue where the last secret is.

Oh yeah, and in the secret courtyard with the backpack guarded by a Mancubus, I just noticed that you cannot walk on the outer wall's shadow.

- Secret at the beginning (door right behind the start)

- Slime back staircase

- Megasphere

- Rocket launcher in the corridor with the light shining on it

- Soulsphere/plasma rifle with the chaingunners

- Outdoor area with mancubus/cacodemons.

- Outdoor area additional secret with brown wall on outer edge

***brown pillar in 5-pillar slime room near the outside secret with the blue armor on it.

I think that's the one you missed.  Thanks for the other tip on the impassable wall.

It's OK Johnny.  It's....OK. :)

I'm already working on The Shores of Hell 2.  I'm not sure I'm going to want to do every level, though.  The Halls of the Damned is the most annoying level in the game.  Maybe I can make it fun.

For "The Shores of Hell 2", should I make it maps 9-17 or should I just make them separate map packs of 1-8 like KDITD2?

I suppose I could do the first 3 episodes as part of one megawad.  Obviously can't squeeze in all 4 episodes since there's only 32 maps.

Well, go back and do "military base" from e1, maybe you can make that map a kind of bridge to "shores" and then make "shores 2" maps 10 - 18.  And so on.  

Don't skip the secret levels.

Maybe you didn't play the whole KDITD2 level.  Because I included E1M9.  It's just not in the spot you would expect, as it's mixed with another level as one big map.

And actually, I think I can squeeze them all into one megawad, so long as I mix the secret level with one map per episode.

MAP01 - MAP08 = Episode 1

MAP09 - MAP15>MAP31 = Episode 2

MAP32>MAP16 - MAP22 = Episode 3

MAP23 - MAP30 = Episode 4

Oh yeah, 

I haven't played since I mentioned the zdoomism stuff you needed to fix in map 1.  I'll play again today since I have some free time again.  

I'd also go full blown doom 2 for the rest of the megawad and use everything at your disposal.   

Yeah, the zdoomisms still aren't fixed btw. Your keyed doors need to have numbers other than "0" and the lines to open them need to have the same number.  Just checked and map 01 still has "0" for the red door.  Comb your wad for broken tags.

So you're saying D1 and DR doors need to have tags now?  I thought only SR, S1, WR, W1, etc. needed tags.  The wad is meant for (G)ZDoom, which I specified.  I've never run into any of these issues before and I'm assuming it's an error with the other source port.

And yes, I only dialed it back as far as enemies because it didn't feel right to have certain types of enemies/textures in Knee-Deep In The Dead.

They need tags if you want the wad to run in PrBoom+, which there's nothing in it that won't allow it to except for the fact that you haven't included tags for those line actions.  You don't use any scripting, new monsters, or weird line actions so you might as well add the tags and let people record demos for this.  Also, I noticed that in the e1m3 final area, there are cacos stuck in the walls by the exit in the outside area.  

Of course if you do decide to do some scripting and stuff... 

The more ports you allow people to use to play this, the more enjoyable the wad is.

one more thing, the way you're doing monster teleport boxes is the old fashioned way.  You can just "merge sectors" to make rooms outside the playing area listenable by monsters.

HOT DOG! Thank you for that...I never figured that would work and now I don't need those stupid connector sectors.  Thank you SOOOOO much.  Now I can move them really far away so you don't hear their reactions too, right?  And yes, I see your point on the doors.  There's probably not that many of them to check anyway.  I'll do it tonight and let you know so you can try out the wad in its full glory.  There's yet another tiny other bug I noticed in MAP01 anyway.

On 17/09/2017 at 0:45 PM, KevvyLava said:

I'm already working on The Shores of Hell 2.  I'm not sure I'm going to want to do every level, though.  The Halls of the Damned is the most annoying level in the game.  Maybe I can make it fun.

What is your problem with E2M6?

Just noticed you do something only zdoom can do in e1m4 with that room under room design for that one secret.  You can still do the doors if you want, but this won't be boom compatible unless you do some remapping.  Also, there are more switches you need freelook for so maybe when you do the rest of the episodes you can do them so they're boom compatible and just redo a few things in e1.  No need to do the doors tonight. 

An actual problem now: In e1m6 the megasphere secret has a G1 switch that allows access.  That's going to make people mad.  Make it repeatable.

Edited by General Rainbow Bacon

4 hours ago, KevvyLava said:

Maybe you didn't play the whole KDITD2 level.  Because I included E1M9.  It's just not in the spot you would expect, as it's mixed with another level as one big map.

And actually, I think I can squeeze them all into one megawad, so long as I mix the secret level with one map per episode.

MAP01 - MAP08 = Episode 1

MAP09 - MAP15>MAP31 = Episode 2

MAP32>MAP16 - MAP22 = Episode 3

MAP23 - MAP30 = Episode 4

If you ever combine these, I hope this wad can be playable and beatable on ports other than ZDoom, such as PrBoom+.

1 hour ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

You're also going to need to move the "shoot" switch in e1m4 for the lift to the blue key to make this boom compatible. 

no freelook in prboom+

There is Freelook in PrBoom+ version 2.5.1.4.

28 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

There is Freelook in PrBoom+ version 2.5.1.4.

I think he meant you're not supposed to use it in PrBoom+.

Yeah, I am noticing that PrBoom+ is running into other issues.  I just tried testing it out and it's not registering the 3D floors I used either (Doom Legacy-style 3D floors).  I'm not sure what the excitement around PrBoom+ is.  Seems to be no different than GZDoom except it's pickier on certain things, like tags.  So even if it makes it slightly inconvenient for some, I'm probably sticking with GZDoom since that's what I started with.  Maybe if it's sooooo insanely popular and I become soooooo famous that someone will edit it for PrBoom+ when it's done. ;)

The Shores of Hell 2 is already a work in progress.  E2M1 is completed and now is a fun little level with less unnecessary teleporting and fun surprise near the end.  And what I also consider to be my most creative secret evarrrrrr (took a bit of time to figure out how to make it work the right way).  I'm about a third done with Containment Area, which is one of my favorite Doom levels.

JohnnyTheWolf: I just never liked the map.  At that point in the episode, I felt that the levels were just getting to be mazes.  Putting Command Center and then Halls of the Damned back to back?  Nawwwwww.

General Rainbow Bacon: My goal isn't to make everyone happy, so they're just going to have to deal with the Megasphere being a 1-shot only type of thing. Consider it a harder version of the Plasma Gun "secret" in E2M2.  Your comments on mouselook being required for some switches is noted, so I'll have to figure out how I want to handle those situations.  I figure that if it's as simple as having to toggle it on for a few spots, it's not a big deal.  On the other hand, I could just make the lift operate normally there, too.  But I am working on some other spots down the line that have semi-hidden switches and I like the idea of having to look around a bit to shoot them and I think they suit the gameplay well.  We'll see.

Lingyan203: What's the deal with (G)ZDoom?  Did it fall out of favor recently or something?  Odds of me switching all of the little details over to another engine are low because of the way I've grown accustomed to doing 3D floors, tags, etc.  I think that with the way the project is going, it will be worth using GZDoom.  If my standard of quality is up to snuff for the rest of this, I'm hoping people won't mind the slight inconvenience of firing it up for a good few hours of fun.

On 19/09/2017 at 1:55 AM, KevvyLava said:

JohnnyTheWolf: I just never liked the map.  At that point in the episode, I felt that the levels were just getting to be mazes.  Putting Command Center and then Halls of the Damned back to back?  Nawwwwww.

So what do you have in mind for your remake?

And "Spawning Vats" isn't any less of a maze either after those.  Also, doing what you did with the secret level in e1 may not work this time being that both the boss map and the secret map don't have much to them.  Maybe using sections of e2m6 in the remakes of m8 and m9 would work.

EDIT: Nevermind. I asked DrPyspy and they told me it was caused by Doom Delta occasionally spawning additional secrets.

I have been replaying KDitD2 with Doom Delta 2.0 and I am having a blast. However, I am also still having an issue with E1M6's secrets. Not only is the darker terrain on the west side of the secret outdoor area with mancubus/cacodemons still impassable, but when I play E1M6 with Doom Delta 2.0, the secrets count seems to have increased from 8 to 9! However, when I play the map without mods or with a mod that does not alter gameplay (i.e. Smooth Doom), that count is back to 8.

Do you have any idea what may be causing the issue here?

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf