Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KevvyLava

Knee-Deep In The Dead 2.0

I decided to finish the map and use it as a secret level because it's kind of all over the place in comparison to the others but is still fun.  I'm going to redo HOTD / SV / TOB separately in some capacity, though.  Shouldn't take too long...will have them done by the end of the week maybe.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:36 PM, KevvyLava said:

Pegleg...wanna join forces maybe?  We could take pieces of "Halls of the Damned" and "Spawning Vats" and stack them on top of one another vertically so you have to work your way though it.  Not sure if you saw but I've gotten pretty adept at using Legacy-style 3D floors to create complex room-over-room stuff.  If you play my TSOH2 wad and get to the end of MAP13 where I put Fortress of Mystery underneath the slime pit, you'll see what I mean.  The only hard part about this is you can't spawn enemies in 3D space (that I know of)....they always automatically appear on the lowest possible floor, so to circumvent that, you have to think about the shape of the tower.

In my head I'm thinking that the level should start out like Spawning Vats (the underground-looking parts) and then ease into one super level between the 3, with the Cyberdemon battle being at the top, of course.

^ All that being said, if you have your own vision, I wouldn't be remotely offended if you made something similar.  Maybe people like it more/less but either way, it's more classic Doom.

Anyway, let me know what you're thinking.

I just saw your message, hence the delayed response. Yes, I would be happy to join forces. I'll have to check out your wad and see how far ahead of me you are in terms of mapping proficiency.

My plan was just a retelling of E2M8, basically. What I had in my head was a level that started on a teleport pad in a canyon that would eventually lead to a large tower in the middle of a plain. The cyberdemon would be on top of the tower and the there would be squadrons of monsters (part of Hell's army) fanned out to stop you from reaching the tower. I was thinking something like "You had cleaned out the corrupted command center, torn down their walls of the damned, and destroyed the vats where they spawning their vile prodigy. They know you're coming and they'll be ready." I was inspired by John Wick and the scene with Viggo Tasarov (VT: "They know you're coming." JW: "Of course. But it won't matter.")

I like your idea of a vertically integrated level that starts underground and works its way up. I think we can definitely come up with something together, if you're still interested. I don't know what your timetable is, but let me know how quickly you want to move forward.

OK so I actually went ahead and made my own concept of what I thought might be similar to your idea...but upon further description, it sounds sorta different.  I guess it doesn't really matter that much anyway.  Here's my version...currently MAP14 (but will be switched to the secret level in a further WAD probably).  Let me know what y'all think.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/412ko79gyo87ay2/TSOH2.zip

Oh, I didn't finish responding...Pegleg, I'm definitely interested in any of the ideas you have.  I'm really good at editing things together and improving them, but sometimes I'm not as good with the starting points.  I am rock-solid at 3D floors, though.  At least the Legacy style. lol.

On 10/27/2017 at 0:10 PM, KevvyLava said:

Oh, I didn't finish responding...Pegleg, I'm definitely interested in any of the ideas you have.  I'm really good at editing things together and improving them, but sometimes I'm not as good with the starting points.  I am rock-solid at 3D floors, though.  At least the Legacy style. lol.

As it turns out, this would have been a bad time to try to collaborate (for me, anyway) as I don't have a lot of time on my hands at the moment. Maybe another time.

I'm interested in your maps, though, and wish you the best of luck.

Okay, I should NOT have to fight Archviles on level 2. Especially on the easier settings. That's just cruel!

Having said that, there are a few things I like. The additional swarms at regular intervals adds a bit of spice to things.

32 minutes ago, Wiw said:

Okay, I should NOT have to fight Archviles on level 2. Especially on the easier settings. That's just cruel!

Having said that, there are a few things I like. The additional swarms at regular intervals adds a bit of spice to things.

My thought when creating it is that you'd just run away from them.  Or use the rocket launcher that you can find outside.  Or....run away? ha.  Maybe I should just change it to 1 Arch-Vile.

I do not recall having trouble dealing with the Archviles myself: ammunition is plentiful, not to mention the secret Invulnerability Sphere nearby.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

I am impressed with the latest version of MAP14; the elevator in particular is quite clever, although I am not sure I like the idea of having to shoot at switches to get it working. What if you are running low on ammunition?

That aside, I have to say, this is by far my favourite map of the project and I enjoyed it from beginning to end!

Not sure why you would want to make it a secret map, though. As a reimagining of the Tower of Babel, it is great!

Appreciate the praise.  I was thinking about making it a secret level in order to do a proper 2.0 of Halls of the Damned and Spawning Vats closer to the styles of the original.  Since I already incorporated Fortress of Mystery into another level, and since this hybrid map is so unique, maybe it'd just be a good secret level.  I wish I knew how to program scripts in maps still.  Back in the day I could do FraggleScript and I could string together actions a bit, like making it so when the Cyberdemons were all dead, that huge tower would lower.  I dunno.  I guess it's mostly fine as is...tower should probably just not be as tall so it doesn't take as long to come down, maybe.  A little tweaking is still needed on MAP14, though.

Okay, I have found an issue with MAP14: after fighting my way to the top of the tower and seemingly killing every monster I could find, I still find myself 15 monsters short.

On 11/4/2017 at 0:03 AM, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I am impressed with the latest version of MAP14; the elevator in particular is quite clever, although I am not sure I like the idea of having to shoot at switches to get it working. What if you are running low on ammunition?

That aside, I have to say, this is by far my favourite map of the project and I enjoyed it from beginning to end!

Not sure why you would want to make it a secret map, though. As a reimagining of the Tower of Babel, it is great!

As far as the elevator and being low on ammunition, that is a thought...The thing is that I needed some way to make it so the doors would open to reveal the switch that would activate it.  I had a few options but went with whatever would best preserve the structure of the original room.