Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul977

Night Town (Limit-removing map on /idgames)

This is a limit removing map which replace map 01 of Doom 2. Got some inspiration lately from Plutonia Revisited while making some parts of this level.
The map consist in some buildings built inside a wood and metal fortification; gameplay it's a 'run-and-gun' type for the beginning stages (you have to move to survive and to find the goodies) but there are also some set-pieces battles of various difficulty.
If you are used to play Plutonia maps on skill 4 from pistol start you shouldn't have big troubles with this map on UV, aside, maybe for a pair of areas.

Tested with: PrBoom + v2.5.1.4, GZDoom 2.3.2

Additional textures: black and green brick texture is from demonizd.wad courtesy of @NokturnuS 

Screenshots:

iluJ5t5.jpg

pu3dw0b.jpg

Midi: "Crimson Sky" made by PRIMEVAL

idgames link : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/ntown

Doomworld link: 

Appreciated feedbacks, bug reports, whatever, thanks!

Edited by Paul977

This felt like MM28 meets Speed of Doom (Darkwave in particular). Like often with these maps, the start is probably the most exciting part, but there are enough staged fights later on to keep you on your toes. Some traps are surprisingly tame (I was expecting something much worse when I was given a soulsphere\megasphere) but that's okay as the level is already scary enough due to the darkness and that repetitive sinister music. The visuals are a little bit messy perhaps (it seems that you dislike long monotextured walls so you always break them up with supports, etc) but I know there are people who are into that. One tiny thing I disliked was the way you escape the yellow key room, it's just confusing the way it works. Quite exciting overall, I never felt safe. Attaching some cowardly demo...

ntown_mem_FDA.zip

Fun stuff, easier than i expected after Disciples of Darkness but still a nice casual play, the combat was very varied throughout the map. The map felt a bit frontloaded, it became easier once i got better weapons (but i missed the PR secret first time round). I really liked the lighting in the map i thought it looked great! Couple issues for me; first, i didn't like the way you leave the invuln fight either, it would be good if the teleporter was more obvious, second, the Cyber that guards the yellow bars just feels like an ammo dump... simple strafe and plasma kill, no real threat from him (unless i am recording a demo of course).

Max in 11:38

Cool to see your style evolve man, i look forward to your next map(s).

This looks interesting @Paul977, I'll check it out after work and give my feedback. It looked good from the screenshots you posted up a while ago in the 'what are you working on' thread.

Cool demos @Scotty and @Memfis, entertaining to watch, you both managed the map pretty well :) 

The yk fight is intended to stay in the arena and kill the most until the invuln expire with the priority being the cyberdemon; the other cyber can also be telefragged. Also yeah mm28 had an impact on this level indeed^

Edited the OP with missing information

Oh that explains why those teleporters are a secret, i see now... :P

So I decided to play this wad again this morning when I'm not spent running something else.

I enjoyed the encounters. The weird cyb room with the invuln was cool. Also looking at the final set piece prior to jumping down into the arena was awesome.

Since this is supposed to be an easier map I don't have any issues with anything. Thanks for making it!

Here is a demo that is mostly blind (I never found any of the keys last night) if you want to watch me run around for ages:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmam7q9ua9mbpf4/ntown_cl2.lmp?dl=0

Hey there Paul, nice map, quite lenient indeed compared to your stuff we've seen before but nevertheless competent and certainly enjoyable. I find it funny that most setpieces are arranged in a somewhat foreboding fashion, yet in fact they're quite manageable and forgiving when it comes to actual encounters they contain. Still, things like that work in my book, so why not. The music track is nice, should take a note of that one.

Attaching leisurely crappy FDA, gotten fairly rusty as of late and it certainly shows, so don't expect anything beyond mediocre. Still, thanks for these minutes of fun I've had, hoping to see more from you in the future.

Ntown_dem_FDA.zip

Fun FDAs @Demonologist and @Killer5 both managed on the first try, cool and thanks for the demos :) 

The beginning and after can be a bit obscure so I used the health potions and the yellow key door texture to hopefully give some help to the players

Edited by Paul977

I've just finished this one, and I enjoyed it overall. I like the layout of the map, and contrary to what others have posted here I found it quite tricky. Maybe I'm tired, or more likely I need more practise. Many of the set pieces are well done and I had to do some of them a couple of times to figure them out. I found the start to be the hardest section, and then from there it wasn't too bad. I like how you reuse the same spaces for some of the fights, and the final large fight was fun.

Initially I thought the starting area could have done with a tiny bit more health, but I am quite tired this evening, so I wouldn't take much stock in that. I apologise I've not gone into more depth, but I enjoyed the map and I'll look forward to your future releases.

Thanks for playing and for the feedback @Relinquished , glad you enjoyed the level; the start is certainly rough, I'm considering to add a little more health in the final version 

Map released, OP updated with idgames link and doomworld link. No major changes aside some textures alignment bugs fixed and a new intermission midi