Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kev The Galaxybender

Need help with texture mods

Is there a way to add textures or modify textures to an existing mod using slade? Someone created an incredible mod that changed all of doom/doom II textures to Hexen textures but all of the doors are just jet black. I wanted to know if i could put the original doors back in or put hexen doors back in. At least in M1E1 he has 1 hexen door which is the last door before the exit door (which is also not black) but the first door is jet black with no texture on it and the rest of the doors in the game are jet black, no textures either. I just want to change them because it's odd

Edited by Toph Bei Fong

Yes, SLADE is what you'll need for resource modification. Open the wad and edit the replacement door textures so that the original DooM doors are not replaced. Usually, you can just delete the replacement texture (and patch, which is the graphic element of the texture), and the original DooM doors will return. Alternatively, you can import the HeXen door texture graphic patches and go through the process of creating/replacing the DooM textures. If you simply want to replace them, simply rename the HeXen patch to the corresponding one for DooM. If you want to create a new texture, the process is slightly more involved.

4 hours ago, ReX said:

Yes, SLADE is what you'll need for resource modification. Open the wad and edit the replacement door textures so that the original DooM doors are not replaced. Usually, you can just delete the replacement texture (and patch, which is the graphic element of the texture), and the original DooM doors will return. Alternatively, you can import the HeXen door texture graphic patches and go through the process of creating/replacing the DooM textures. If you simply want to replace them, simply rename the HeXen patch to the corresponding one for DooM. If you want to create a new texture, the process is slightly more involved.

thanks. Yeah I'd rather just replace them with the Hexen door textures. How difficult is this to achieve? I've only ever edited music wad files? Also some of the hexen door textures are in the game, like the 2nd door in e1m1 before you get to the exit door is a hexen door texture. Can I just copy those textures and put them on the doors that are just blank?

really weird that the guy just left these doors blank. 

2 hours ago, Toph Bei Fong said:

.... I'd rather just replace them with the Hexen door textures. How difficult is this to achieve?

It's a fairly straightforward task once you know what you're doing.

Step 1: Import the relevant graphic patch(es) into your wad

Step 2: If your patch is simply replacing an existing DooM patch, just rename the imported patch and give it the DooM patch name. E.g., the texture BIGDOOR2 consists of a single graphic patch named DOOR2_4. If your HeXen door is replacing this one, rename the imported patch to DOOR2_4.

Step 3: If your DooM texture consists of more than one patch (e.g., BIGDOOR1 consists of patches DOOR2_1 and multiple instances of W13_1) adjust the position of each patch to create your composite texture.

Keep in mind that your replacement texture needs to be the same height & width as the one being replaced, otherwise you'll get the tutti-frutti effect.

2 hours ago, Toph Bei Fong said:

Also some of the hexen door textures are in the game, like the 2nd door in e1m1 before you get to the exit door is a hexen door texture. Can I just copy those textures and put them on the doors that are just blank?

Yes. Either rename the relevant entry in the TEXTUREx lump (presumably you're using this method) to point the texture(s) to the existing patch, or copy the graphic patch back into your wad and rename the patch to correspond to the DooM patch for the texture you're "fixing".

1 hour ago, ReX said:

It's a fairly straightforward task once you know what you're doing.

Step 1: Import the relevant graphic patch(es) into your wad

Step 2: If your patch is simply replacing an existing DooM patch, just rename the imported patch and give it the DooM patch name. E.g., the texture BIGDOOR2 consists of a single graphic patch named DOOR2_4. If your HeXen door is replacing this one, rename the imported patch to DOOR2_4.

Step 3: If your DooM texture consists of more than one patch (e.g., BIGDOOR1 consists of patches DOOR2_1 and multiple instances of W13_1) adjust the position of each patch to create your composite texture.

Keep in mind that your replacement texture needs to be the same height & width as the one being replaced, otherwise you'll get the tutti-frutti effect.

Yes. Either rename the relevant entry in the TEXTUREx lump (presumably you're using this method) to point the texture(s) to the existing patch, or copy the graphic patch back into your wad and rename the patch to correspond to the DooM patch for the texture you're "fixing".

I've looked through the wad. I selected the option named "TEXTURE1" and there is a menu that has a button that says "edit textures" Am I in the correct place? I apologize if I'm asking a lot of questions.

But when I look at all of the door textures, I don't really see or understand why the textures in the game are blank because it seems like for every texture, there is a graphic there. Maybe they're not showing up correctly in the game? I dunno. Because I don't know which ones I am supposed to change. Maybe because the texture wad is for DOOM 2? Could you take a look at it?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kklzvk0dsddc25j/H2D4D2TP.zip

it's from this topic

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31134

holy crap I think I got it. the guy already had working textures in the wad some of them were just not compatible. Man this is friggin awesome. I just had to replace the non compatible textures with ones that are. thanks man

Edited by Toph Bei Fong

17 hours ago, Toph Bei Fong said:

I selected the option named "TEXTURE1" and there is a menu that has a button that says "edit textures" Am I in the correct place? I apologize if I'm asking a lot of questions.

[I realize that you've already solved your problem but I figured I'd respond, in the event that you need to do this again in the future.] Yes, you'll need to "edit textures".

No apologies necessary. We all started in the same way as you - by asking questions.

17 hours ago, Toph Bei Fong said:

But when I look at all of the door textures, I don't really see or understand why the textures in the game are blank because it seems like for every texture, there is a graphic there. Maybe they're not showing up correctly in the game? I dunno. Because I don't know which ones I am supposed to change. Maybe because the texture wad is for DOOM 2? Could you take a look at it?

I wasn't able to get back on these forums until just now, and wasn't able to respond sooner. [I downloaded the file to which you had linked, but for some reason it was not downloading the entire file. I ended up going into the ZDooM froum thread and getting a proper download.] I opened the wad file and looked over the TEXTURE1 lump. I checked the "traditional" door textures, and found nothing wrong in the way the patches have been set up. Which graphic patches are "incompatible"? Specifically, the patches are incompatible with what? ZDooM?

3 hours ago, ReX said:

[I realize that you've already solved your problem but I figured I'd respond, in the event that you need to do this again in the future.] Yes, you'll need to "edit textures".

No apologies necessary. We all started in the same way as you - by asking questions.

I wasn't able to get back on these forums until just now, and wasn't able to respond sooner. [I downloaded the file to which you had linked, but for some reason it was not downloading the entire file. I ended up going into the ZDooM froum thread and getting a proper download.] I opened the wad file and looked over the TEXTURE1 lump. I checked the "traditional" door textures, and found nothing wrong in the way the patches have been set up. Which graphic patches are "incompatible"? Specifically, the patches are incompatible with what? ZDooM?

big door 2 and 3 were not loading up correctly. I'm assuming because the wad was made for doom 2 and im using it for doom 1??? or maybe because I'm using brutal doom? Not sure but I just replaced them for one of the textures that I know worked properly. I can make a video for you when I get home if that would help.

1 hour ago, Toph Bei Fong said:

big door 2 and 3 were not loading up correctly. I'm assuming because the wad was made for doom 2 and im using it for doom 1??? or maybe because I'm using brutal doom? Not sure but I just replaced them for one of the textures that I know worked properly.

BIGDOOR2 & BIGDOOR3 are present in both DooM and DooM2, so you ought to have had no problem running either IWAD. [In DooM, BIGDOOR2 is in TEXTURE1, and BIGDOOR3 is in TEXTURE2; in DooM2 they are both in TEXTURE1. But I doubt this is the source of your problem.] Same with Brutal DooM.

From my review of H2D4D2TP.wad, it is clearly a texture/flat replacement for DooM2, not for DooM. Therefore, if you run this with DooM, some of the "stock" DooM textures will appear. This will not cause any gameplay or missing-texture issues, but it might look odd. For example, DooM contains some tech-themed textures that are not in DooM2, and are therefore not replaced in H2D4D2TP.wad; COMPTILE, and COMPUTE1-3 are examples. If you run DooM with the texture wad, all instances of these textures will appear in-game, and the tech theme will clash with the medieval theme of the texture wad. [This is immediately noticeable in E1M1.]

In addition, the texture wad created new textures, but simply renamed them using existing DooM2.wad texture names. Therefore, there was no consideration given to the similarity of textures being replaced. I believe DBT created the texture wad as a resource (upon which authors could build custom maps), and not simply to run DooM/2. Still, if you're happy with the result, go for it.

[EDIT: I ran the texture wad with DooM.wad & GZDooM, and I see the problem to which you are referring. BIGDOOR2 is used near the start area in E1M1, and most of it is black (indicating that a part of the texture isn't covered by a patch. But I can't see why this is happening. The BIGDOOR2 texture is 100% made up of the TTEX229 patch, and there are no x- or y-offsets to the texture. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is happening.]

33 minutes ago, ReX said:

BIGDOOR2 & BIGDOOR3 are present in both DooM and DooM2, so you ought to have had no problem running either IWAD. [In DooM, BIGDOOR2 is in TEXTURE1, and BIGDOOR3 is in TEXTURE2; in DooM2 they are both in TEXTURE1. But I doubt this is the source of your problem.] Same with Brutal DooM.

From my review of H2D4D2TP.wad, it is clearly a texture/flat replacement for DooM2, not for DooM. Therefore, if you run this with DooM, some of the "stock" DooM textures will appear. This will not cause any gameplay or missing-texture issues, but it might look odd. For example, DooM contains some tech-themed textures that are not in DooM2, and are therefore not replaced in H2D4D2TP.wad; COMPTILE, and COMPUTE1-3 are examples. If you run DooM with the texture wad, all instances of these textures will appear in-game, and the tech theme will clash with the medieval theme of the texture wad. [This is immediately noticeable in E1M1.]

In addition, the texture wad created new textures, but simply renamed them using existing DooM2.wad texture names. Therefore, there was no consideration given to the similarity of textures being replaced. I believe DBT created the texture wad as a resource (upon which authors could build custom maps), and not simply to run DooM/2. Still, if you're happy with the result, go for it.

[EDIT: I ran the texture wad with DooM.wad & GZDooM, and I see the problem to which you are referring. BIGDOOR2 is used near the start area in E1M1, and most of it is black (indicating that a part of the texture isn't covered by a patch. But I can't see why this is happening. The BIGDOOR2 texture is 100% made up of the TTEX229 patch, and there are no x- or y-offsets to the texture. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is happening.]

yeah that is what I was getting, just black, empty doors. but I just exchanged it with textures that I know work for certain and all was fixed. Me having very little experience with this stuff, i couldn't tell you why it's doing that.