Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TootsyBowl

Your dumb Doom habits

- OCD ammo/health micro-manging to the degree that it actively distracts me from thinking about the combat

- saving constantly

- trying to do dumb shit with chainsaw because i just gotta save more of that ammo

- forgetting to use plasma/BFG

- rocketing lost souls

- wasting a lot of ammo on an enemy super far out of range on the map because i wanna be a cool sniper

47 minutes ago, ella guro said:

- trying to do dumb shit with chainsaw because i just gotta save more of that ammo

You forgot

- tying to do dumb shit with "fist while on berserk" in order to save more of that precious ammo. (even while being loaded to the max : )

1 hour ago, Doohnibor said:

You forgot

- tying to do dumb shit with "fist while on berserk" in order to save more of that precious ammo. (even while being loaded to the max : )

Does patiently punching Barons through a tiny gap between walls/bars count?

4 hours ago, Maes said:

Does patiently punching Barons through a tiny gap between walls/bars count?

Patiently chaingun-tapping Barons on the other side of the map through a tiny gap.

13 minutes ago, TootsyBowl said:

Patiently chaingun-tapping Barons on the other side of the map through a tiny gap.

Good "snaking" tactic, but not strictly an ammo-saving technique (unless there are lots of bullet boxes on your side of the map, and none on the other, heh).

-punching doors after the enter button doesnt work

-using the BFG on revenants

-punching groups of imps while berserk

-saving too often

2 minutes ago, drag0nstr7k3 said:

-using the BFG on revenants

The sound of a large group of revenants dying simultaneously after firing the BFG is one of the most satisfying things in the game, right next to killing three zombies with a single shotgun shot.

3 hours ago, GhoulDesecrator said:

The sound of a large group of revenants dying simultaneously after firing the BFG is one of the most satisfying things in the game, right next to killing three zombies with a single shotgun shot.

dirty doom pleasure...

Some of these things might not necessary be dump, but anyway

- Cheating (IDBEHOLD-A) for finding the last few secrets, then the first secret I find is computer map ;)

- Shotgun shooting an imp, doesn't die, switching to pistol to not waste ammo

- I said about save spamming, but I found worse. Saving just before hitting the exit button and after, even if there is autosave at the start of the level in my preferred port.

- Forgetting to save spam because at some point I am in the flow and don't care, zen doom shooting for several minutes, but died because of a mistake or a nasty crasher trap or whatever, then reload and I am like "Wait, why am I so back?". Then get into frantic save spamming (really, I should try that November no-save challenge :P)

- Am in front of a door, opening it to shoot outside. Because it's annoying when it closes and interrupts my shooting, I press Space twice a little bit before I presume it will close, to fast close and open and get me back to zen shooting.

- shooting random stuff/faces in case there is a GR trigger.

I could think more silly stuff but gotta go ;P

My bad habit is I think Im all big shit and rush into a high tier enemy with my SSG like the speedrunners, and gun it down, I go from 100% to 20% health sometimes. But I am getting better at it so not much of a bad habit?

In most cases where I see pinkies or spectres, I automatically switch to weapon 1 (chainsaw or berserked fists, of course), even if it's totally inconvenient and/or unworthy. 

I obsessively hoard plasma cells, even if I know the mapset and know that there are a bunch of cell packs coming up soon (Tenements, ahem).  So I usually end up fighting a bunch of advanced enemies with the SSG and wind up using up my plasma cells on zombiemen so that I can pick up the 100 cell packs.

When there's a Zombieman near a barrel I insist on trying to blow the barrel up even though they both have 20 Health...

- Occasionally circle strafing in front of a Baron only to realize he starts throwing his stuff much faster and I get toasted.

- Not using other guns as often as I should sometimes. I end up sticking to the SSG after I get it and it runs out of ammo when I need it the most afterwards due to overusing.

- Forgetting to save when I'm doing well, only to end up falling into a nasty trap later on and get gangbanged and here we go again... Sucks terribly if the map is long and difficult...

- Trying to complete difficult levels without saving and of course, failing.

- Miscalculate the ammo needed to kill a tougher enemy and running out of said ammo in the middle of the fight. May or may not have consequences depending on the situation.

- Trying to peekabo shoot a Cyberdemon or strafe between his rockets when I'm yet to master the techniques so I end up getting blown up for being a professional Doom player.

- Trying to punch Arachnotrons or other tough enemies when I have lots of health and armor only to end up getting hurt.

- Shooting extra rockets at enemies that are already dead, though it rarely happens.

- Picking up boxes of shotgun ammo when I'm 4-8 shells away from full. Picking up Soulspheres first when there's still some health around also fits here since they're basically wasted if I'm left with 20% health or so and I pick them up when I could replenish my health up to 60-70% or more with medikits and stimpacks lying around instead and end up with more health.

- Exploding all barrels in sight, sometimes after the enemies are dead just to "clean up the area", lol.

- Not expecting switches to open traps every now and then. Simply expecting this can save me from getting hurt so much sometimes. Also, I sometimes just stand there and shoot when they open, forgetting to take cover or move around and out of their sight, only to I complain about "what a shitty/unfair trap is this" afterwards.

- Taking out the Rocket Launcher to deal with PE when the Chaingun is a much better alternative. Good luck shooting too many rockets and dying from the splash damage when the LS are set free upon PE's death, or timing them poorly by firing when LS are spit out and end up dying.

- Occasionally backing up slowly when a rocket is coming at me instead of running away or quickly strafing in a different direction.

- For some reason I avoid using the Plasma Gun when it could really help me, such as when dealing with PE, instead resorting to other, sometimes more risky guns, such as the Rocket Launcher. And if I have the BFG I almost never use the Plasma Gun again unless I run out of shotgun shells or Chaingun ammo. Basically if the situation doesn't demand it, I'm not using it.

- Trying to open locked doors when I don't have the required key. Just... why...

- Doing a poor job at conserving ammo, especially when its scarce.

- Playing everything on UV due to failing to accept that some maps/wads/whatever are simply beyond my league and then start bitching about how difficult they are. I can surely be a masochist... I don't have to play on UV all the time, that's why difficulty options exist, but sometimes the mere thought of lowering the difficulty makes me feel like a poor noob lol, so I force my luck (and patience and nerves...).

Edited by Agent6

Picking medkits, even if i'm on 99 Hp. Also trying to pick medkits/ammo when i'm fully healed/stocked.

I blame Heretic >:(

- getting frustrated at my own tastes and quitting out of conventionally good maps because I can't find what's interesting about them beyond the craftmanship

- and uh being very reluctant to switch away from berserk

- Only saving once, upon starting a map. This can be taxing if i mess up in a lengthy map and have to start all over.

- Strafing into projectiles, this mainly begin to happen after a long session where i start to lose my focus.

The habit of not standing around waiting for a typical five-second lift to raise back up, and sparing the few seconds to hump a wall over here, or look over there, or grab a few shells -- or even time things so that I hit the lift shortly before a skirmish ends, put the finishing shot on a monster, and then run back to the lift -- is so ingrained that I end up "missing" those rarer Boom one-second lifts a bunch of times in every map they are in, even when I know they are there, since auto-pilot me refuses to stand on them when they are going back up. :P 

Apart from that I can't think of much.

Here are some habits I'd rather see everyone who has them drop, because their existence annoys me a bit: 

- 20-30 bullets to your name, don't kill (or worse, attempt to but fail to kill) that random cacodemon drifting around until you are down to a fist. Find where ammo is first (which you're about to do anyway). You might need those bullets to kill or stun a more important monster that poses a threat en route to that ammo.

- Tracing crazy zigzags around rooms while fighting monsters. This is how to scatter and then eat lots of incidental projectiles in more slaughtery stuff. 

- Vile in the back, imps/pinkies in front or on flanks. Don't ignore and then ensconce self in imps/pinkies while desperately trying to kill vile -- at least shoot at some non-vile stuff to keep it out of your face. 

Just now, NinjaLiquidator said:

Punching 300 revenants in 64px alcove and savescumming for every one done

Thats sounds pretty specific :P

When there is only a Cacodemon or two, I like to take my time between shots and hit it in the eye, with the single shotgun.

There is something fulfilling in seeing the Caco blink, while staggering, while hearing its scream.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:17 PM, Ex Oblivione said:

Before I reach the exit I always backtrack to the start of the map (if possible) to see if there are any leftover goodies to pick up so I can top off my health/armor/ammo.

I wouldn't say this is dumb; it's smart. I do the same thing, if I need to.

On 06/09/2017 at 10:55 PM, Anidrex_1009 said:

I always forget to Quicksave after intense combats... then I suddenly day and Oh! Your last save was 2 hours ago :c

Also,

I stare to much at landscapes and skyboxes :P

I'm like this, I just go sight seeing...and not always after most things are dead either.

Change the secret message to something naughty like @#$% you or one time one of them was somebody toucha my spaget! Ye, I've went there :P

I also like to spam the console command Seimos binded on my USB controller over and over again. What it does, it puts out the text SEISMOS IS GAY!

Recently I have this habit of paying too much attention at making round numbers of ammo. I start shooting a Caco with chaingun while I have 378 ammo? I try to finish at 350, then switch to another weapon to finish the job. Is it at an odd number like 371? I shoot till I reach 351 (usually push/release taps for 2 bullets per moment), then switch to the pistol to deliver 1 bullet, then to something else. Shotguns at multiples of 20s. Make it 80, then go get that box of shells. Sometimes, when the floor is full of shells and I know I'll accidentally trip on them while I have 99 shells as I fight, it totally changes my decision to not use shotgun at that place, and vice versa with chaingun. Some levels tend to put those precious ammo right over an area you can't pass around. I know, weird and time wasting when you have to make fast decisions. Only when there is real danger or in moments I play more casually (because maybe other worries are running in my head as I am playing, and Doom at easier maps is like a zen background activity), I don't give much attention to that and I break the rule. But when I start matching the ammo it gets strangely fulfilling (someone could make perhaps a mod where maxing ammo with exact portions of ammo gives you bonuses or something).