Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMmarine918

Has your personality changed since you've started playing DOOM?

I become really aggresive towards my enemies when I play Doom like games. I grunt when my character takes alot of damage. I basically get too immersed.

Playing Dwango5 deathmatch a fuckload as a kid led to me to fall in love with NIN. I also have a strong affinity for certain 80's songs for the same reason, particularly "It's a Sin" by the Pet Shop Boys and "Come Back and Stay" by Paul Young. I also like metal on the whole and I guess Doom was the first stepping stone on that path. I'm also generally a nerdy fuck who loves to spend a good bit of time doing gaming related things and I'm sure Doom played some role in that, but as crazy as I was about Mario and Nintendo in general as a kid, I'd venture that aspect would be in place rather or not Doom existed.

Really it's all speculation, but I think the most major impact the game itself had was on my tastes in games and music, I'm not sure if my actual personality was altered somehow as a result. I can definitely say the Doom community has had a huge impact on me seeing as I've been interacting with people in it since childhood, there's a small handful of Doomers I've known for 10-15 years now who honestly helped shape my worldview into what it is now via many many discussions about a broad array of topics. I don't know if that counts though - the impact came from the actual people, the game was just the initial means of coming into contact.

Long story short, I suppose it has had some impact on my personality, even if only by proxy.

Ah you think Doom changed you? You merely adopted Doom. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't play other games until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to play but CoD!

Nothing special, because I played in Wolfenstein 3D and it was most amazing moment in my gamer's entire life. But when I played in Doom I was a real id Software fan, I'm still with them and all stuff they made(not QC, because it's worst shit for years, I love Doom' 16 and looking for sequel).

16 hours ago, Chezza said:

Ah you think Doom changed you? You merely adopted Doom. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't play other games until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to play but CoD!

Ah yes I was wondering what would break first...your mouse or your keyboard?

*Proceeds to break keyboard over knee*

4 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

Ah yes I was wondering what would break first...your mouse or your keyboard?

*Proceeds to break keyboard over knee*

Wy do we die? To save one more time. 

I didn't give this thread much thought, but as I was passing the time with a mobile game, the words "thrill seeker" came up and then it hit me.

Doom made me into a thrill seeker.

Before Doom, I always followed whatever the game told me. I was never like "maybe I can get over there" "I wonder if that's secret" "UUUGGHHH MOVE FASTER" rather I was just "ok" "sure" "there it is".

I was a secluded little boy that went with rules. Doom made me into "BRING IT ON RIP AND TEAR" danger seeking man.

And after Doom, I replayed some of the games I played before, and I notice a lot things like slow movement, lack of freedom, "secrets", etc. Doom made me up my game. It made me a man who pushes games to the limit and beyond.

I try to get to places that aren't accessible in-game now, rather than focusing on the mission. I want to do things the devs don't want me to.

I want to rip and tear.

Lol, I found out about that website in 2008 which was when I was learning of and doing research on 'Spiritual Satanism'. I was almost sold until I realized it was more or less reverse christianity, with a woman who married a Neo-Nazi and claimed the Jews were responsible for 9/11 and were regarded as 'subhumans'. Everyone is just full of shit when it comes to religion it seems.

30 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

Everyone is just full of shit when it comes to religion

but Joel Osteen I believed in you

2 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Lol, I found out about that website in 2008 which was when I was learning of and doing research on 'Spiritual Satanism'. I was almost sold until I realized it was more or less reverse christianity, with a woman who married a Neo-Nazi and claimed the Jews were responsible for 9/11 and were regarded as 'subhumans'. Everyone is just full of shit when it comes to religion it seems.

Looks like saying nice things about Lucifer himself has been flat out wrong!!

I've been a Doomer since '94, so sure I've changed, but I'm also 20+ years older which will change anyone. But yeah I can tell it's had some subtle effects on me. I find myself looking at interesting architecture and imagining how it could be replicated in Doom. Satanic and heavy metal imagery seems to often bring Doom to mind, as well as a certain breed of action/sci-fi movies. There's also definitely an influence from the games in my music and even some of my art.