Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
june gloom

[HURRICANE THREAD] Nature v Human Civilization, 2017

<MftS> Who the fuck is the one naming hurricanes?
<MftS> They somehow manage to give them the least threatening names ever.
<MftS> If I turned on the news and heard that Hurricane Erin was coming I'd think to myself, "Erin? I could take that slut."
<MftS> If I turned on the news and heard that Hurricane Dicksmasher was approaching, I'd grab all the money in the house, shove it in my pockets, and get the fuck out of there.

So Hurricane Irma is barreling its way towards Florida as we speak. This on top of Harvey last month, and climatologists are saying this is a rare occurrence of consecutive named storms making landfall. Worse than that, it's the most powerful hurricane to form in the Atlantic on record, and in fact one of the most powerful to be recorded, period (it's actually been picked up on seismographs.) It's expected to make landfall in the US over the weekend.

Florida Doomers, how you guys holding up? Are you getting out, or are you hunkering down? Feel free to use this thread to keep the rest of us updated on your status during and after the storm so we know you're okay.

Edited by dethtoll

Stay safe friends from Puerto Rico, Cuba, and other places overlooked during these times of tragedy.

giphy.gif

Living nowhere near any of the oceans or other large bodies of water, I imagine it must suck for those who need to worry about things like hurricanes or other destructive weather phenomenon on a yearly basis. I wish everyone in the red zone the best of luck!

I can't possibly top the .gif from @Red so I'm not going to try making my own joke about it.

As someone who is a risk take and loves storms. If I was anywhere near a coast of Florida I would be getting the F out. I keep reading new stories of people who are hunkering down; have fun when 9 feet of storm surge and 150mph winds take your home away. No amount of preparedness and supplies matters when that happens. The Keys are absolutely F'd. 

Oh, and as far as the hurricane being picked up on seismographs, Mexico just got hit by an 8.2 magnitude earthquake.

Also, I see ads pop up for donating to Harvey victims, what about all the poor Irma victims who've lost entire islands?

Two Thumbs up to J.J. Watt for the Houston Flood Relief Fund.

Now Tim Duncan is doing a Relief Fund for the 21 US Virgin Island, and he's raised $1.1m so far.

Won't you do your part?

Stay safe, friends

In a later tweet, Dr Hicks clarified that background noise – for example, wind causing trees to move and crashing ocean waves – was causing seismographs to pick up Irma.

also Irma destroyed many islands like Barbuda, and now Jose is right behind it and close to becoming another cat 5 hurricane

on a Carribean Island that was hit by Irma, civil war has begun where gangs are waging war with police and military

FEMA has already blown through most of their money because of Houston

ABC and NBC have failed to even mention Climate Change during Harvey, and will probably continue to ignore said problem

on top of that I have heard personal reports from individuals (in the USA) affected by the hurricanes that people are already fighting over water and food. 

Again...stay safe. It might look dark but humans are survivors. 

Its not even a versus when man will always lose. To the person mentioning how no one talks about climate change... I remember at some point where reputable news outlets would talk about how some speculate there was a weather gun trying to punish general areas that voted for specific presidential campaigns.

My friend's sister (I haven't known this sister for 20 years) moved down to Florida as of 2 or 3 weeks ago with her 5 kids to be closer to their dying father. Welcome to Florida.

Stayed home in Ormond Beach - rough winds through the night, but nothing earth-shattering in this part of town. Power was back on the following day around 4 PM. Still waiting for the OK to use water regularly again...

A weather gun? What on earth are you talking abut? 

I'm not saying the government conjures storms at will but they certainly haven't helped in preserving the earth. Industrial farming has destroyed a scary amount of ecosystems of flora and fauna, and they are draining all the resources from earth for profit. I could write paragraphs because there's much more detail to go into, but I won't right now. 

Basically, we KNOW that hurricanes form because of warm ocean water, and the ocean's temp is increasing too. But climate change deniers won't have any of it. 

I'm absolutely sick of this news, and I'm not even from the US. You have the popular newsoutlets to thank for that. They've been reporting the hurricane events to the point of fear-mongering. I know the situation is bad, but what is shit like that going to fix? Just my two cents.

Best of luck to anyone who fell victim to the storm.

On 07/09/2017 at 5:29 AM, dethtoll said:

Florida Doomers, how you guys holding up? Are you getting out, or are you hunkering down?

I'd be getting the fuck outta there, that's for sure!

On 07/09/2017 at 6:37 AM, Skeletonpatch said:

@RedLiving nowhere near any of the oceans or other large bodies of water, I imagine it must suck for those who need to worry about things like hurricanes or other destructive weather phenomenon on a yearly basis.

Heh. I live near the ocean here in Perth, Western Australia but we are at very low risk of cyclones (they are not called hurricanes here). We are at an even lower risk of tsunamis. Tornadoes are also rare - as are earthquakes and floods. The only real threats are bushfires (if you live rurally) and, I guess, the occasional bad storm when winter decides not to give us a typical, sunny 25°C day. What I'm trying to say is come and live here. The weather is pleasant and it won't try to kill you. Oh, and what is this "snow" stuff you speak of? Sounds like fun but probably isn't. ;)

Edited by savagegrant

On 9/12/2017 at 4:25 AM, TootsyBowl said:

Calling @Man of Doom.

Boy, this is quite a story to tell. 

I'd like to start with my experience with Hurricane Matthew. For a while, it seemed like my area would be directly hit by that storm, then it turned around at the last minute, just grazing Florida. The worst we got were some 75 MPH gusts and loss of power for only a few minutes. During the latter, we were all asleep when it happened. In fact, the damage to South Florida was negligible at best, only a few scattered branches here and there. Additionally, there was maybe 1 to 2 tornado warnings issued. 

This was NOT the case with Hurricane Irma. 

Not even when we got the first of the feeder bands did we lose power already, albeit for only 15 minutes. Prior to that, I was confident that this would be a repeat of Matthew, with just a few gusts here and there, despite being stuck in the middle of the hurricane's worst quadrant (with it having the most powerful rainfall and winds). In other words, we were expecting the worst of just a tropical storm. 

Then when the day of the hurricane came, we lost power around noon (or maybe before that). We had prepared as much as we could, and it paid off, somehow. As we were stuck with almost nothing to do, we bided our time playing poker and dominoes. The rest of the time, I was just trying to sleep through the storm.

I still remember the sound of the wind banging against the shutters, like some angry thing trying to rip open the house with its thousands of angry fists. I could get used to the constant wind, but not the looming threat of tornadoes. Within 2 hours, my area had gotten 9 tornado warnings in that time span. 

We weren't too concerned with flooding, as the area we lived in had a ditch to the front of our house, and a lake behind us which could be drained to make way for rain water. 

The days after the storm were hell, to put it mildly. As we were left with no power after the storm, it was very hot and extremely humid. Not helping was the mad dash to eat as much stuff in the refrigerator to keep food from going bad. In fact, it had actually gotten hotter inside the house than outside. 

To further complicate things, we find out the morning after the storm that a neighbor's water main had broken. Add to this their sheer ineptitude and failure to report the broken water main, and we were left without running water for only a few hours. 

We had no power for almost 3 days, and we were this close to just sleeping in our car, which has AC. 

Speaking of our car, we drove around to assess the damage of everything around us. In spite of our lack of power, our neighborhood had really lucked out. Entire trees were ripped off their trunks, power lines were downed, lakes were overflowing, traffic posts were bent with the direction of the wind, intersection lights were now facing other ways. As an added precaution, there was no garbage pickup in the days before the storm. As a result, the streets around the various mini-malls around us reeked of rotting trash. 

Yesterday was the last day with no power, and at that point, we already booked a hotel to wait out the power outage. On our way to said hotel, we receive a call that the hotel is actually without power, and that all reservations were cancelled. 

Since we were out on the streets anyway, we might as well go out to lunch. After lunch, there was the trip to get gas, which is still just as bad as before the hurricane arrived (think long lines and empty gas tanks in said stations). 

We finally come home, and it turned out power was restored not too long ago. My family and I now appreciate everything that we once take for granted. 

That being said, I still refuse to get out of my bed, since the days leading up to today have been almost surreal. Not to mention that the days of the outage had made me rather pensive about my life choices and my future. 

I can't imagine just how worse it would have been had we been directly hit by this leviathan of a hurricane. 

EDIT: It turned out that on Saturday, the day before the big storm, there was an actual tornado close to our home; it hit the street close to our neighborhood's entrance. According to my mom, it sounded just like a freight train. 

Edited by Man of Doom

6 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

I'm absolutely sick of this news, and I'm not even from the US. You have the popular newsoutlets to thank for that. They've been reporting the hurricane events to the point of fear-mongering. I know the situation is bad, but what is shit like that going to fix?

That's what we do best here in the states, but the same could be said for any mainstream media outlets. Do they fear monger? Yes, but this time it might actually be warranted. It's not just us that's getting destroyed, but several places all over the earth. India, Haiti, carribean islands, etc. it's getting pretty crazy out there. 

4 hours ago, savagegrant said:

Heh. I live near the ocean here in Perth, Western Australia but we are at very low risk of cyclones (they are not called hurricanes here). We are at an even lower risk of tsunamis. Tornadoes are also rare - as are earthquakes and floods. The only real threats are bushfires (if you live rurally) and, I guess, the occasional bad storm when winter decides not to give us a typical, sunny 25°C day. What I'm trying to say is come and live here. The weather is pleasant and it won't try to kill you. Oh, and what is this "snow" stuff you speak of? Sounds like fun but probably isn't. ;)

I live in rural Alberta, Canada. Right now there is a compete fireban throughout the province due to this being one of the driest years in recorded history as far as I know (this is definitely the driest year in my life). Right now there are also massive forest fires in southern BC and it looks like I may lose one of my favourite places to go camping in the summer... If the fire somehow makes it to the prairies I fear that 1/8th of the province may be screwed.

It feels like every year there is less and less snow in the winter. This trend really pisses me off, especially because where I live it is common for people to completely reject and despise winter for no apparent reason. When I was a kid winter was my favourite season to go outside and as an adult it is my favourite excuse to stay indoors and sit in front of some kind of screen. Now I'm lucky if we get 2" of snow and have it last for more than an afternoon...

At least we don't get tornadoes (they are somewhat possible, but extremely rare), earthquakes (also extremely rare), floods, hurricanes, tsunamis, etc. where I live! The only major threat is an out of control grass fire caused by lightning or some inconsiderate asshole who threw his cigarette out his car window into a ready-for-harvest field of dry peas! Oh wait, does that mean most 'natural' disasters in my area are caused by people?

Why do I always start a 1-paragraph post that ends up being three times longer than intended?