Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

In the first time you played E1M1, where did you go first?

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

That's from one of the console ports.

Yes, specifically the 32x version.

Don't laugh.

I distinctively remember to walk up and get the green armor, then I look down and there was a shotgunner far away near the blue carpet and I shot him and it felt like it was so deep and far away the 3d view, I was impressed by that. I remember that because I think I wasn't used to 3d games, all I knew was 2d, and my mind was still adjusting to the new reality, and I remember the guy feeling far away with depth perception, while in reality the room is smaller, but maybe that's how enormous the whole 3d thing felt to me. That's a strange memory, I remember previously many years ago someone had shown my wolfenstein3d, or rather spear of destiny and I wasn't impressed, but I couldn't make out something on the screen (he was in the beginning with many many transparent vines, that's SOD not Wolf indeed) it's like my mind didn't adjust to the new 3d reality immediatelly (although that's strange because I have seen some old flat polygon flight simulator before.

Strange impressions, also it means as a newbie, I started the ultra violence difficulty, as this is the only one where there are shotgunners in the beginning (and I grabbed a shotgun from the ones above, and maybe one below walked randomly away and it felt like he was in great distance and I had a succesful shot). Strange, how I didn't play the regular difficulty, but this which is deadly for a newbie. I think I might have died first few times. Hmm,. I think I remember now, I selected Ultraviolence, because I thought this would adjust the blood ammount :)

If I played so many years ago like I play now, I assume I went to the armor. I almost never open a door until it's the last place left to explore.

Ah, the early days of Doom, where PSX Doom looked a million times better than it did on many PCs. (EDIT: Well that's how it seemed anyway.) To answer your question: to the left, up the stairs. Those fuckers had my green armour.

On 9/7/2017 at 4:27 AM, TFK said:

Well, where did you head off first? The room with the armor, or directly to the main door??

Armor room.

On 09/09/2017 at 10:27 AM, scalliano said:

Yes, specifically the 32x version.

Don't laugh.

Oh lord lol, do you have an actual Sega 32x?

As soon as I fire up this level I'm hype because of the track. I turn left and there's a set of stairs with (depending on the version) an imp or two. Then I go to the walkway guarded by acid and shoot the imp on the raised platform to... Hey wait a minute, this is just a lame walk through of the level. Well I go for all the secrets instead of rushing to the end because that's what you do (unless you're speed running)

@Neurosis I think I recognize your avatar as Captain Kirk from A Piece of the Action. I love that episode!

On-topic, I went to the armor first for two reasons: open areas before doors like several others already said, and also my follow-the-left-wall rule.

On 9/9/2017 at 2:50 AM, scalliano said:

2mCsopt.png

This but with coloured lights. Probably. I dunno I was like 4 years old :P

I played Doom 2 years before I gave Ultimate Doom a shot. So I thoroughly inspected the first room, picked up all the goodies, then proceeded to the next one.

I went into the room with the armor and fumbled around with the pickups and and secret door button because this game used to scare the crap out of me at six years old.

I was quite young, and really love exploring in videogames, So I go to the armor room and then just watching every single thing, until by pure luck find one of the first secrets in videogames of my life, the switch that opens the secret backdoor to the blue armor.

To be completely honest, I barely remember something from my childhood regarding to the game. I do have vague memories of seeing the megaarmor in the outside area, a shiny blue thing that looked precious, and I suppose I went for the green armor. Then to advance to the next part, no memories. 

Oh and, no music, at all, only sound effects, so yes I wholeheartedly remember the pickups sounds. 

On 9/7/2017 at 7:27 AM, ShotgunDemolition said:

I first searched at the area around the start, got the green armor (played on HMP first time, so luckily there weren't any enemies yet) and then I was looking at the door behind the spawn point, trying to open it. I thought I could open it with "E", but I couldn't, so I changed the buttons and then it still wouldn't open, so I found the correct door and I proceeded normally with the level.

I tried that too. I was a bit disappointed upon learning how to noclip and discovering there was nothing there.

I think I slammed my face into a wall and then slid into a corner, spun in circles a few times then zig zagged off to the armor room. After falling off the stairs about fifteen times I finally got the armor.

armor room im pretty sure, was like woah whats this..

i ddint use the button to go outside

It was June, 1994, so I don't have the clearest recollection. I'm pretty sure that I went to the left to the room with the armor. I was playing version 1.2 (I think that was the shareware release), so the switch that opens the wall into the outer courtyard wasn't there. I then headed into the computer room and continued on with the level. I think I found the secret corridor leading outside on my first time in the level.

I don't think I knew anyone who had played Doom. Wolfenstein 3D yes, but not Doom. So I had no frame of reference for anything that was to come.

Again, though, 1994.

I kid you not  I tried to jump out of the window... I don't even know why...

I think its because there was no "glass" texture there so I thought it was on opening.

I don't remember. But I remember how I look at the other side of hangar through the window, and saw red fireball flying to me from afar!

In my memory, I died on the blue carpeted area.  So either a) my memory is shot, or b) I really sucked that first time out.

Only one neighbor had a PC powerful enough for Doom, so by the time I played, I had watched others' attempts for what seemed like days. I kept thinking "These losers! I can do it faster!" So when I actually sat down, I immediately charged through the door and got hammered. On skill 1. :>

I always end up going straight to the armor on E1M1, even the first time I played the map I headed to its room, not knowing what's there.