Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

True 3D in Boom!

Only a day after I discovered the translucent flats effect, I've discovered what I believe is a new method of doing true 3D (although it is similar to a method Toke used in his VexDM wad). Like the translucent flats effect, it involves having normal textures on two sided linedefs with negative Y offsets.

There's a screenshot demonstrating the effect up on my site, along with the next version of my Boom tricks wad, which contains the effect along with one other new effect, namely a teleporting crate complete with teleporter flash (inspired by a comment by Fraggle ;) )

If you want to play around with this true 3D effect in your own levels, you'll need to play around with setting the sector heights and the texture's y-offset so that no HOM is produced, and the texture doesn't appear in the floor of the 3D object. It's also a bad idea to let the player step on the 3D object.

cool looking stuff. you cant stand on the thing in the screenshot though. you fall through it and if you look down on it you get a funny effect. btw, you forgot to put the the slash in the last url thingy. like this [/url]

I wonder if it's possible to get them to work when viewed from above. What if you divide them into smaller segments? Nodes builder tweaks?

Fredrik: possibly, I might experiment with it some more.

BTW, I just noticed that the teleporting crate trick only works in ZDoom (edit: and apparently PRBoom as well), as that seems to be the only port to let ammo clips be teleported by monster only teleporters :)

it looks like magic to me! negative offsets huh, i'll have to get the wad and play with it a while. looks excellent from the screenshot though, cool nightmare!

If your up close to the effect it's possible to see the floor through the fake floor (because the player bobs up and down when moving)

*AHEM*

Do I get to say, then, that I somehow inspired a god?

Damnit, I wish I had played around with this before I blabbed ;)

... Can't wait to get home and try this out myself. Speaking of which... I have yet to post my own 3D-house-on-stilts tutorial. So much to do, so little time.

Mordeth said:

... Can't wait to get home and try this out myself. Speaking of which... I have yet to post my own 3D-house-on-stilts tutorial. So much to do, so little time.

Well find some time dammit :P

Heh. I saw that on the Mordeth page when I was updated that time and i've been waiting for ya to show us. Eh. Whenever you can is good for me.

A interesting take on a very annoying ocurrance.

I'll have to figure out how to recreate that on purpose.

Good going Nick!

Also, thanks to fen boi who gave me the idea, I've thought up a perfect no-player-activated trick to draw a fake floor/ceiling. I guess fen boi will be emailing my example level for inclusion in Nick's Boom tricks level shortly (right?).

It uses a combination of Iikka's double-dummy reference trick for linedefs, and Boom's transfer flat property (trigger 242). Because this is a purely visual trick, with no actual lowered/raised sectors, it won't block shots plus the fake ceiling & floor don't have to be at the same height. Basically, it's Iikka's double floor trick (see ikspcial.wad in docs/editing) but made simple and far more elegant by Boom's transfer flat feature.

To create a faked lowered ceiling, make a (mother) sector (M) of, say, 256/0. Make three dummy sectors: A = 256/0 lighting x, B = 256/0 lighting x+1 and C = 128/0. Sector C is the '242' control sector; tag sector A and B with the same trigger. Now, insert a sector (D) inside the sector M, and make one sidedef's sector reference to A, and the other side to B. Do not use textures on both sidedefs. Voila, a faked lowered ceiling. To create a fake floor, make another three dummy sectors: E = 256/0 lighting x, F = 256/0 lighting x+1, and the control sector G = 256/144. Tag sector E and F using control sector G with trigger 242. Insert a new sector (H) inside the previous one (D) and make one sidedef reference to E and the other to F. Of course, put all bordering linedefs as close to eachother as possible to minimise gaps. Congrats, you have now made a room with a double floor! Either use Zdoom's bridge thing, or use the regular 3D bridge trick (instant lowering/raising invisible platform, see Doomworld's Editing Tutorials) to to make the fake floor actually supporting.

Drawback: like any other method that uses lowered/raised ceiling/floors it gives HOM when ie. you look at a lowered ceiling viewing both upper flat and the (unprotected) upper sides. So, its use is restricted to creating "underground passages" and its variants, or low bunkers dug into the ground.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Well find some time dammit :P

Heh. I saw that on the Mordeth page when I was updated that time and i've been waiting for ya to show us. Eh. Whenever you can is good for me.

Me too!

thats prboom??? it looks like those grey block on the walls are slanted in the last pick. hmm... are you sure it aint zdoom?

kain said:

thats prboom??? it looks like those grey block on the walls are slanted in the last pick. hmm... are you sure it aint zdoom?

True 3D in Boom!

yah i was just saying that that boom doesnt suport slopes and this map has slopes so wouldnt boom just not load the map?

OH, jeez.. i just joined and i know for a FACT boom sucks... if yiou want a good 3d engine for Doom, get edge. I use it and it's a hell of a lot better than boom.

Caleb said:
OH, jeez.. i just joined and i know for a FACT boom sucks

Considering you just joined that is a rather crass statement. In fact, most people will find your opinion on Boom rather silly and uninformed.

Caleb said:

OH, jeez.. i just joined and i know for a FACT boom sucks... if yiou want a good 3d engine for Doom, get edge. I use it and it's a hell of a lot better than boom.

What exactly is wrong with boom? Personally I find EDGE horribly upsets the game behaviour.

fraggle said:

What exactly is wrong with boom?

Resolution, resolution, resolution and resolution. Stubborn lot they were and most of the (TNT) crew jumped ship to zdoom. Should tell you something:)

ZDoom was based on Boom. Without Boom, there would be no ZDoom.

And what do you mean by resolution?

BOOM.EXE -width 640 -height 480

That works in PRBOOM, not sure about the original. Boom is the best
source port for purists, ZDoom is the best (IMO) engine for mappers and
Edge or Legacy is (again, IMO) the best engine for modders.

Besides, no port *sucks*. They all play Doom, don't they? The rest is
eye-candy and modernization (i.e. adding Q2 features etc).

If you don't like Boom because it doesn't have as many features as
the others, surely you must loathe DOOM.EXE -- the only true Doom.

deep said:
Stubborn lot they were and most of the (TNT) crew jumped ship to zdoom. Should tell you something:)

Actually, the Boom project was scheduled to have two phases: one to eliminate bugs, remove limits, general optimisations and a few new features seen in similar engines (eg. transclucency) but overall still Doom; and a second phase with a whole scale of new features. But, we never saw a second phase due to the project team being disbanded. TeamTNT merely pointed out that ZDoom is the direction they would have likely taken if phase 2 had come through.