My PrBoom+ build with in-demo voice recording support and something extra

This is really really cool, I can see myself using voice recording for FDAs all the time.

 

Would be nice if it also created voiceless demos at the same time (so you would get a large file and a small one).

Share this post


Link to post

 

17 hours ago, Memfis said:

This is really really cool, I can see myself using voice recording for FDAs all the time.

 

Would be nice if it also created voiceless demos at the same time (so you would get a large file and a small one).

 

Amazing Comrade!


Memfis... ehmm your from uhhh spain or maybe france or portugal? accent very similiar

Share this post


Link to post

This is very cool! I have a suggestion though: Please change the source to require a new complevel, or a demo-saved option for the longtics support. PrBoom+ has worked very hard to prevent incompatible demos from being created. If you're recording demos marked version 2.15 Boom complevel that are not compatible with version 2.15 Boom complevel, that's a bad thing to be doing!

 

Maybe I've missed a detail that causes this to not be problem, but please check for this specific issue, and fix it quickly, to avoid a situation where the program cannot distingiush between 2 different demos marked with exactly the same version numbers and complevels.

 

By the way, a nice option would be to mix the sound effects out-of-phase into the voice recording, to counteract picking up the sound effects through the microphone. This might be a bit difficult, and might require an SDL hack.

 

Another idea is for voice transmission across the network. You'd need a nice ping. You could filter voice down to about 8-bit 2.4 kHz to reduce the size, which would sound terrible for anything but voice, but it could become feasible at that size.

 

Very cool addition!

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for comments, but still no one have recorded a voice demo to test out that feature (to check if the audio syncs properly). Someone, please record a FDA for something with voice recording.

7 hours ago, kb1 said:

Please change the source to require a new complevel, or a demo-saved option for the longtics support. PrBoom+ has worked very hard to prevent incompatible demos from being created.

This is not needed. complevel 2 longtics demos have demover 111 (recorded in demo header), and they haven't introduced a new complevel for that. If you will try to watch complevel 9 longtics demo in current official version of prboom+, it will just bomb out with "Unknown demo format 215"

7 hours ago, kb1 said:

Another idea is for voice transmission across the network. You'd need a nice ping. You could filter voice down to about 8-bit 2.4 kHz to reduce the size, which would sound terrible for anything but voice, but it could become feasible at that size.

This feature is intended for single player only, prboom+ is rarely used for network play and I haven't bothered with that.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2017 at 2:30 AM, cybermind said:

Thanks for comments, but still no one have recorded a voice demo to test out that feature (to check if the audio syncs properly). Someone, please record a FDA for something with voice recording.

This is not needed. complevel 2 longtics demos have demover 111 (recorded in demo header), and they haven't introduced a new complevel for that. If you will try to watch complevel 9 longtics demo in current official version of prboom+, it will just bomb out with "Unknown demo format 215"

Good to know. I wasn't sure - I thought Imread something into what you typed that apparently wasn't there :)

 

On 9/9/2017 at 2:30 AM, cybermind said:

This feature is intended for single player only, prboom+ is rarely used for network play and I haven't bothered with that.

It seems like a natural progression of the idea, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post

I feel using demo version 215 is a land-grab*, but okay, one can just blacklist the demo version number (I_Error on detection). I think beyond the current maximum 214, the only other one that has been used is 255 (by Eternity, which then changes the format a bit to add its own extra version number -- IIRC they're up to 300+ by now)

 

________

* FWIW the upstream prboom_7_compatibility branch, which adds a new complevel, uses 215 as its version number. But I never managed to get it merged/released.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, I have a question: If I record a demo which includes a text file, how would I document the port used? i.e. GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4 currently.

Edited by Spectre01
2nd question answered by reading the thread.

Share this post


Link to post

Just a quick recorded demo without much thought behind it.  Sorry it's not an FDA.

I remember when someone added voice to HL:CS and Quakeworld.... it had mixed results; with 12 year olds singing rap music and people shouting in various languages at the same time.  But that was multiplayer online, this is a bit better, I think.

And don't say I didn't warn you....  

Good job, Cybermind!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/so3zvo7kp7u13vl/e1nm_opulent_1749.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now